I love everybody on this site
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:38 pm 

I spent some time and money downstairs in the Spanish Bar back in the 80's.  Don't think it had the Bradley's moniker back then, though.  IIRC there was a games shop on Hanway Street - anyone remember that?  Or maybe it was a comic shop.  

Anyway, it was the reason I originally went down there (this was back in the days of 'Dark They Were And Golden Eyed' over in the Soho area) - it was a bit unprepossessing, Hanway Street being at the time a rather smelly back street joining Tottenham Court Road to Oxford Street.  

Not many good boozers in that part of central London unless things have changed a lot.  Handy for the tube home after you're had a few, though.

Thanks to the locals for the Wisconsin swamp water tips.  Not much of that around Madison, but someone will no doubt get the bright idea of bottling it and marketing it to the trendy students here in town - they drink just about everything else according to The Princeton Review: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/package.jsp?name=fte/partyschool/partyschool&floc=wn-ns

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:41 pm 

Ah, Madison.  One of my favorite places.  I remember back in the 80s when Playboy released its ranking of the top 10 party schools in the US, and UW wasn't among them.  Some student group complained, and Playboy responded by saying something like "We don't rank the professionals".

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:10 pm 

Marinagh wrote:this was back in the days of 'Dark They Were And Golden Eyed' over in the Soho area

I'd completely forgotten about that shop.  And it used to be one of our regular haunts along with Games Workshop, Games Centre, and McDonalds.

I remember picking up a copy of Bored of the Rings.  What a great laugh back then.  But I wonder if it has stood the test of time?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:26 pm 

bombadil wrote:Ah, Madison.  One of my favorite places.  I remember back in the 80s when Playboy released its ranking of the top 10 party schools in the US, and UW wasn't among them.  Some student group complained, and Playboy responded by saying something like "We don't rank the professionals".

I think a recent Playboy had Madison finally ranked #1 because of its Halloween party on State Street.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:43 pm 

Marinagh wrote:I spent some time and money downstairs in the Spanish Bar back in the 80's.  Don't think it had the Bradley's moniker back then, though.  IIRC there was a games shop on Hanway Street - anyone remember that?  Or maybe it was a comic shop.  

Sadly the games shop is no more.  Hanway street in its 150 yard length does have several good vinyl record shops, a tapas bar, a flamenco club, an exceedingly trendy cocktail bar/restaurant (called Hakkasan) and a great illegal late night drinking club (which I shall not name).  It is still "a bit unprepossessing" which is why you do not see tourists down there that often (which suits me just fine  :) )

Marinagh wrote:Not many good boozers in that part of central London unless things have changed a lot.  Handy for the tube home after you're had a few, though.

Sounds like you were going home early - the last tube is just after midnight :wink:.   London has loads of awful pubs and bars but it also has loads of truly brilliant places to drink.   Working out which is which is often a process of trial and error... ah well, in the interests of scientific research, one just has to make sacrifices.  :D  If anyone is visiting, do let me know - I would be happy to give out pointers - so that you can avoid the worst.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:34 pm 

yes john huck, bored of the rings has stood the test of time imo. my gm & i quote from it regularly which sends us back to look the quotes up and see how we have deviated from the text ( kind of like quoting from monty python).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:06 am 

Bored of the Rings even appeared recently in re-print as part of the general cash-in on Tolkien products following the movies.

It stands the test of time largely because....great as Tolkien's work is....it is also ripe for parody.  If any of the characters in the recent movies were to have broken into a snicker at any of the many dramatic and emotional moments, the whole spell of all three movies would have shattered in an instant.

Possibly the funniest Tolkien moment was on the MTV Movie Awards the year Fellowship of the Ring came out.  The "Great Council" scene was parodied by Jack Black (who is funny just standing still) and Sarah Michelle Geller.  I still crack up every time I think about it.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:39 pm 

I can't say I love any of you guys.  Well, Frank, you came close, but you never called...

But I will say this place has gotten me through some of Life's dips and valleys.  As Al knows, most recently I had a health scare, but have just come through clean on the other side.  No cancer.  

I've had some close scrapes and near-death experiences on the job (i.e., doing fieldwork Up North), but this was the worst.  And I found myself turning to this place once again for entertaining distractions.  If for no other reason, it's important in that respect.  

So play on, boys.  This can be a great place despite the differences, or maybe because of them.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:31 pm 

Good News!!!

You deserve a drink to celebrate  :D  :D  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:34 pm 

bombadil wrote:I can't say I love any of you guys.  Well, Frank, you came close, but you never called...

But I will say this place has gotten me through some of Life's dips and valleys.  As Al knows, most recently I had a health scare, but have just come through clean on the other side.  No cancer.  

I've had some close scrapes and near-death experiences on the job (i.e., doing fieldwork Up North), but this was the worst.  And I found myself turning to this place once again for entertaining distractions.  If for no other reason, it's important in that respect.  

So play on, boys.  This can be a great place despite the differences, or maybe because of them.

Glad to see your OK  :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:43 pm 

I called, but the "other guy" answered and threatened me. I got scared.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:14 am 

Frank,

Given the above, your bi-line " There's always another one" just keeps having more and more conotations.

Cracks me up  :lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Previous