Pazio / Rpgnow question
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 560
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 22, 2021
Location: Cape Cod

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:05 am 
 

A buddy from an old group I used to play in was thinking of buying some of the D20 ( not sure about other editions ) stuff from one of these sites.  I told him I had heard some mixed review about quality and said I would inquire more about it for him.

I guess my questions would be:

Is one site known as "better" as far as quality of scans of their items? ( seeing RPGnow seems to be more $$ from what he mentioned )

Is there a forum that maybe I could direct him to that may have users experiences with particular downloads? ( somethinhg like "I downloaded "X" and it was good quality but "Y" was a PoS "  )

Any help/info that I can pass along would be appreciated.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:40 am 
 

the D20 books for the most part are just as cheap as the downloadable PDFs anyway, so wouldnt it just be better to get the real thing?

there is probably a D20 book out there that relates to this "the deliberations of downloading PDF files" or some such twaddle :D

Al



  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:21 pm 
 

Speaking generally (because there are exceptions to all of the following statements):

1. RPGnow was one of the "original" PDF palaces and has a solid reputation, but scan quality can vary. Definitely read the user reviews for any given product.

2. Paizo is slightly less expensive, but uses horrible, terrible, evil, monstrous watermarking that is totally intrusive.

3. DriveThruRPG has a lot of more recent and/or d20 stuff, but tends to be considerably more expensive. However, they do run sales all the time, so a patient shopper can still find some bargains.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6442
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Oct 26, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:14 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:1. RPGnow was one of the "original" PDF palaces and has a solid reputation, but scan quality can vary. Definitely read the user reviews for any given product.

For $5 you can't really complain, but believe me, all the scanned PDF's are poor quality. The new d20 stuff that is printed to PDF from a desktop publishing package are about as good as you can expect from that medium. I haven't yet seen a PDF that is optimised for viewing on a computer.

Xaxaxe wrote:2. Paizo is slightly less expensive, but uses horrible, terrible, evil, monstrous watermarking that is totally intrusive.

Where abouts are these? I've got quite a few, and other than a tiny line of text at the bottom of the page, I see no watermarking. Is that really what  people are complaining about? On the whole these PDFs are no better than any of the ones at RPGnow.

Xaxaxe wrote:3. DriveThruRPG has a lot of more recent and/or d20 stuff, but tends to be considerably more expensive. However, they do run sales all the time, so a patient shopper can still find some bargains.

See Alan's comments on buying d20 PDFs vs. d20 hardcopies. They are usually about the same price, and the PDFs are optimised fro printing on your home printer, not reading on your PC.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:20 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Where abouts are these? I've got quite a few, and other than a tiny line of text at the bottom of the page, I see no watermarking.
Mine were watermarked at top and bottom, including totally unnecessary, miles-long URLs that extend into both text and art.

As mentioned in another thread, I trashed my Pazio PDFs — they were that ugly. I could have saved time by setting fire to $5 bills ...

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1