New Woodgrain listing on ebay
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:53 pm 

Congrats Blackmoor on this fine set indeed!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:24 pm 

red_bus wrote:I was just under that - I think that you have the record now.  :D

Oh God I have the Record 8O
That was unintentional :?

Everything will sure look cheap after this one gets paid though.  I will let the you all know what it really looks like once it arrives.

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:33 pm 

Congrats Blackmoor! I look forward to reading you report on the condition!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:27 pm 

Here we go again, and I wasn't even one of the top bidders:

Hello,
You are one of the bidders on my auction:Dungeons & Dragons Rules For Medieval Wargames(Item number:8807084030) for US $2,800.00.
I begun this second chance offer because the winner of my auction backed up from the transaction. There are lots of bidders who bid on the auction for fun and I hope you are serious and that we can make a clear deal.
Now for the start, I will explain you some steps for finish this transaction. You can see in the rules that the price is your last bid! To learn more about Second Chance Offer go to: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/personal_offer.html.
So, if you are really interested, now all you have to do is to confirm the following info:
eBay ID:
Item number:
Your exact bid price:
First name:
Last name:
Address:
City:
Post Code:
I need the details exactly like I have requested, because I have to forward them to eBay.
In short time, they will contact you with an Invoice in order to complete this transaction safe!
I am only dealing through eBay.
Thanks and let me know ASAP.

And from another:

Hello,
Regarding my auction :

Dungeons & Dragons Rules For Medieval Wargames (3)
Item number: 8807084030

I'm willing to speed the sale process, so please contact me A.S.A.P. : [email protected] and I'll provide you with further details about this.
Thank you,
pepperannie2

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:29 am 

I need to stop at more garage sales. 8O

Now let's see if any more come out of the woodwork. $4k should raise some interest.

Clearly the high side limit for woodies has not been set. (I know I won't be the one setting it, either).

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:28 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I need to stop at more garage sales. 8O

Now let's see if any more come out of the woodwork. $4k should raise some interest.

Clearly the high side limit for woodies has not been set. (I know I won't be the one setting it, either).

That's up about 3% in 6 months, assuming we're treating the last two as equivalent.  The next one should be around $4264.05 using no particular logic except linear extrapolation over time.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:14 pm 

I have a REQUEST.

Gary has mentioned to me that he believes that in the product catalog for the TrueFirst brown there is no mention of D&D Prints for sale. He belives those were added for an additional run (1st+? but with no mention of "Second Printing" being added however).

I have not yet seen a photo of that page, either posted on the sale or sent separately by the seller. Neither have I personally seen a 1st booklet (with the distinctive cover) that lacks the mention of those prints.

The catalog data seem to be unspecified in the official Acaeum description.

Blackmoor, lemme know PLEASE.  8O

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:00 pm 

ExTSR wrote:I have a REQUEST.

*chuckles*

Frank; I presume you're asking because that set doesn't appear to have a correction sheet? ;)

Well, I couldn't tell for certain from the auction pic since the books are rather clean (!), but the red/green colors on the covers could be of the darker variety which might tie in with what I have earmarked as the earlier release (as sent out to Dave Arneson & co., so presumably not tail-end 74!).
Would need Jeff to check the book heights to the nearest 1/4 mm to see whether the pattern tallies.

As to any copies w/o the print catalog; hey, who's to say why not?
Pretty much everyone was happy to go with the 1,000 collated box sets sitting on the floor at once from a single printing, when that's obviously not the case.
And like I have various questions to EGG (or poss. RJK?) in return, re. actual first copy sold date and things like that. Definitive data, y'know. :)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:32 pm 

My copy has the Prints on the catalog page.  If the owners of pre-pub sets could chime in, perhaps that would help settle the question.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:03 pm 

Not interested in errata sheets.

Not interested in small variations in trimming; that's within minor variance at the printer, even within a print run.

Not interested in color variantions either, ditto.

Am HIGHLY interested in this alleged version that does NOT mention the D&D Art Prints at the bottom of the catalog page.

:?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:29 pm 

I've got them too.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:04 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:My copy has the Prints on the catalog page.  If the owners of pre-pub sets could chime in, perhaps that would help settle the question.

Foul

Had it not finally been confirmed that the stated-"pre-pub sets" were actually ~1975 vintage, as might be expected from their ownership history?

Certainly doesn't hurt to ask, though! :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:19 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Not interested in errata sheets.

Not interested in small variations in trimming; that's within minor variance at the printer, even within a print run.

Not interested in color variantions either, ditto.

Am HIGHLY interested in this alleged version that does NOT mention the D&D Art Prints at the bottom of the catalog page.

:?

Likewise, Frank! :)

Those comments were only in the context that if these do exist as public releases, the time frame is going to be very narrow, since I thought I'd almost boxed-off back to the first half of '74.
Obvious question would be... why not Gary or RJK's books, presuming they still have their's?

=
aside only, then; The color/size variations are fairly consistent thus far, but only from a small sample size. Agreed, that could be from within one release; trying to rule that out, but it's only the type presumed to be "later" that has ever turned up with the variant U&WA.
What appears to have happened is that the text pages were printed as one batch; then separate runs of covers added, as required, then guillotined to size.
The 2nd print is relatively constant throughout in comparison.

=
k... Back over to the hunt...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:21 pm 

faro wrote:Had it not finally been confirmed that the stated-"pre-pub sets" were actually ~1975 vintage, as might be expected from their ownership history?

I think so, since I auctioneered that alleged "pre-pub" one GenCon a long while back. Still remember it, tho, having no sticker on the front.

But again, this isn't about that. This is about Gary's memory, and whether or not any browns were printed before the D&D Art was in the catalog. :/

If there ARE any out there, that may renumber our entire research...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:23 pm 

ExTSR wrote:But again, this isn't about that. This is about Gary's memory, and whether or not any browns were printed before the D&D Art was in the catalog. :/

If there ARE any out there, that may renumber our entire research...

:)

Sounds good to me!

I've been trying to dig around at the roots for long enough (and not liking the vagueness in places) that it would be a pleasant surprise to see something like that appear out of the blue and create a back-stop.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:13 pm 

ExTSR wrote:I have a REQUEST.

Gary has mentioned to me that he believes that in the product catalog for the TrueFirst brown there is no mention of D&D Prints for sale. He belives those were added for an additional run (1st+? but with no mention of "Second Printing" being added however).

I have not yet seen a photo of that page, either posted on the sale or sent separately by the seller. Neither have I personally seen a 1st booklet (with the distinctive cover) that lacks the mention of those prints.

The catalog data seem to be unspecified in the official Acaeum description.

Blackmoor, lemme know PLEASE.  8O

I will let you know when it arrives!

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:32 pm 

Hey Blackmoor, have you received your win yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:00 am 

Llaurenela wrote:Hey Blackmoor, have you received your win yet?

Not yet, it is crossing a border into Canada so probably late next week.

PreviousNext