First Print Dungeon Master's Guide: How Rare?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:16 pm 

Hey Gang,  Just curious as to your opinion of the "availablity" and rarity of a first print DMG. I've had several true "first print" Monster Manuals, a first print of the PHB (my "white flyleaf copy"), and a banged-up first print of the DMG. Over the past 8-10 months or so, I have been regularly looking to grab a nicer copy of my first print DMG on ebay. I have not had much luck. It seems (to me, anyway) that these issues may be just a bit rarer than I initially expected. The DMG gets a "2" rating for rarity here on The Acaeum. My question: What do you think? Do you own a first print DMG? Are you finding them a little "less available" these days? Have you looked lately? Do you think maybe it deserves a re-evaluation? Is it worthy of a "3" rating?... Just wondered what your take was.  As always, Many thanks!!  -Bazul  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:44 pm 

Hi Bazul, the DMG 1st print could be fairly rare but in my opinion their may be many on ebay auction that you aren't aware of. Remember that the 1st print DMG is not very noticeable to detect. You can only tell by checking the flyleaf. On the other hand, the 1st print MM and PHB have noticeable differences that one can see in a picture.  Perhaps when you see the efreet version of the DMG on ebay, ask the sellers to check the flyleaf. You may find out their are quite a few that are 1st prints.  Also the DMG doesn't seem to be popular among collectors. I would rather own a 1st print MM than a 1st print DMG.  Popularity of an item affects the price too. Take a look at Planescape stuff. They aren't too terribly rare but they fetch HIGH prices because they are popular and in demand. Sorry to say but the DMG 1st prints are not in demand.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:32 pm 

Mkman,  Thanks for the post. Yes, I realize that the DMG's aren't that high on the priority list of collectors. I just want a nice clean copy for the collection shelf. I have a near-mint first print MM and a very nice first print PHB. In addition, I also have an "average" first print MM that I game with, etc.., etc..  I agree that the MM is definitely the most desirable first print to own of the three.  In regards to the "visual" clues of a first print DMG -- yes, you are correct they have no obvious cover "clues" like the MM, for example. On every occasion of investigating "would-be" first print DMG's I have ALWAYS emailed the seller and asked about the flyleaf and copyright page as well as other clues such as the number of pages and different illustrations that are only in the first two printing issues. Everytime (and this is what prompted this topic) I have found these issues are non-first prints! Yes, that was surprising to me; particularly because I've had the (comparatively) very easy task of acquiring no less than THREE first print MM's during the same period! So, that got me thinking: Is the first print DMG really as plentiful and available as reported?  I personally don't think so. As rare as a first print MM? Of course not. And I know the DMG will NEVER be as desireable as a MM or PHB.  I just want a cleaner copy for the collection, that's all. I'm finding (surprisingly) that is not an easy task..Thanks again! Keep the input coming.  Cheers,  -Bazul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:16 pm 

Another clarification --   In regards to the flyleaf on DMG's-- that alone can be misleading. Yellow flyleafs were used on all first prints and on some second prints as well. I've picked up several "yellow-flyed" second prints of the DMG. Just thought I'd mention that incase someone is reading this for identification clues.  cheers,  -Bazul  8)