Rob J. Kuntz's CAIRN OF THE SKELETON KING update info
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:50 am 

ExTSR wrote:
faro wrote:the release announcement over here was made at something like 2.15am UK time.

More like careful timing in your favor... isn't 2 am when the pubs close?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:06 am 

Greetings!

Lastest update to Rob's website main page:

http://pied-piper-publishing.com/

Thanks again for all the support!!  :D

Eulaliaaa!!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:25 am 

Deogolf wrote:Greetings!

Lastest update to Rob's website main page:

http://pied-piper-publishing.com/

Thanks again for all the support!!  :D

Suggestion ...  sponsor the acaeum for $20 which provides a whole year of hosting without the godaddy / google banner ads.  This would make the site look a bit more professional.

If you need help repointing the DNS pm me.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:55 am 

well i have some ideas with Rob which may help to enhance matters some. we are gonna do a Q&A session with him in relation to past / present / future matters and hopefully create some interest that way too. the details of this when its all "filled" out some, will be on our site and Rob's site.

if you have any particular questions that you would like me to ask Rob in the interview (which will take place v.shortly), please PM me details asap - the questions should be relevant to the subject really, not research type stuff, as we want to promote his product and create more interest in his publishing.

ian: the point you noted above i have already discussed with him - details of that should also be sorted v.shortly too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:06 am 

I'm just waiting for a new month to bring me more cash and then I plan to buy.

I agree that an online look at a proposed cover would be good.

RJK might also consider sending some photocopied pre-production materials...or even something like an extra, hand-drawn map...to whip up the  current batch of  pre-purchasers.  Something.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:15 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I'm just waiting for a new month to bring me more cash and then I plan to buy.

I agree that an online look at a proposed cover would be good.

RJK might also consider sending some photocopied pre-production materials...or even something like an extra, hand-drawn map...to whip up the  current batch of  pre-purchasers.  Something.

Mark   8)

the cover art is almost ready now from what i believe. am sure that as soon as its in a presentable form, it will be shown for all to see.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:21 am 

Hello All, and I have arisen from the grave.

I have been so busy, if only the gods would grant me a clone, that would do it!  :)

All good commentary--I thank you all.  Encouragement goes a long way especially with 5 hours sleep a night!  :)

I am new to the web page stuff so I am leaving IMPROV's suggestion for webhosting to our Internet person DCAS.  It all sounds good and more professional, so I don't see a problem.

I am waiting on the art from Jim Holloway to post some; I do have the sketches of the front cover, but nothing else as yet.  The maps are being rendered by Peter Bradley and will be in the old style blue color we are so used to in the earlier mods.

The sales are at 150 right now and I am attempting to get more preorders, at least up to 200 by launch, which would put us in a good comfort zone.

Many of the board members here have been very helpful--tip o' the hat to
Killjoy, Improvstone and Mbassoc in particular.

It's a difficult chore attempting to do this all online, and many other marketing measures have been considered and/or are in progress to help in that regard.  DF and Acaeum have been a main support valve, but we are aware that a larger element of old school gamers exist and remain uninformed--how to reach this particular part of a disfranchised market is our ultimate goal, and many methods are being considered and I even implemented one tonight but will wait upon results to comment on its efficay.

More artists and graphics people have offered to lend a hand, writers have offered to help as well.

It's very exciting when I have a breath to sit back and think about it all while sipping some tea and not slugging coffee!  :)

My wife who is currently in Accra Ghana, sweet heart that she is, sends her warmest blessings to all those who are helping with this project, and if you knew Angela, you'd be happy to receive those.  ;)

OH.  I have had this topic marked as "notify me..." but alas, I believe that the interface here with my old browser is doing me in as I do not receive notifications, and if had not been for a message from Improvstone that there was some discussion about the website hosting here, I would not have known.

I will check back more often rtaher than waiting on "notifies".  :)

Now, back to the attack of the three
Family Spectres, rune-embossed golden longswords, coronets and all...

"How now, varlet! said Ralibar Vooz..."  "Who are you that speak so churlishly to a magistrate of Commoriom and a cousin to King Homquat?"  C. A. Smith--The Seven Geases

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:39 am 

Always happy to help ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:49 am 

Al, can you put up the page URL?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:38 am 

Hey Deadlord.

The site is here:

http://www.pied-piper-publishing.com/

"How now, varlet! said Ralibar Vooz..."  "Who are you that speak so churlishly to a magistrate of Commoriom and a cousin to King Homquat?"  C. A. Smith--The Seven Geases

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:25 am 

The electronic version of Dark Druids also looks interesting.  I've been thinking of having these guys pop up as the heavies.

I could use more descriptive text, however.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:58 am 

MShipley88 wrote:The electronic version of Dark Druids also looks interesting.  I've been thinking of having these guys pop up as the heavies.

I could use more descriptive text, however.

Mark  8)

well the whole idea is that the DM/GM is supposed to do that isnt it?

you are given the "bare bones" and you then broaden it with your own style of game play.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:00 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Al, can you put up the page URL?

frank

you can get directly to it through Rob's link shown above, or from my site which is in my profile ID

(not into advertising my own things)...we've got a little write up courtesy of Rob and we are gonna embellish and have a load more stuff up v.shortly relating to all this too. just havent had the time to sort it yet.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:53 pm 

I beleiev that MShipley is referring to the lack of descriptive text for the product, which I am aware of.

PPP is moving to add desciptions for its products, but I must do so at the rate that I submit them and when the web-designer can get them up.

For now, let this mini-review of the first edition (the text doesn't change in the 2nd, only the game system mechanic) suffice until I get
the desciption posted.

From the PPP message Board:

"Introduction

Let me first offer this caveat: My review of this module is somewhat biased, as I have longed since the early '80s for
a product to further explore the myth cycle of my favorite RPG personality of all time, the Dark God, as originally
envisioned by Kuntz and later expanded upon by Gygax in his hauntingly beautiful adventure, The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. As has been previously stated by myself in a previous post, I have always held a special place
in my heart for the Dark God, a literary creation that appears to be modelled after Lovecraft's Elder God, Great
Cthulhu. The Dark God, just like Cthulhu, is an alien, cold, and uncaring force whose motives seem to be beyond the
ken of man.

Now after that lengthy preamble, let the review begin. What I most enjoyed about the adventure was its format: a lengthy and challenging dugeon crawl preceded by an equally lengthy and challenging wilderness adventure.

Part I: The Wilderness Adventure First off, the wilderness encounters are highly original and extremely deadly, and many of them can easily wipe out a
party of poor/novice players. But, each encounter is also integral to the overall plot -- not a filler encounter in sight,thankfully -- and provide the PCs with vital clues should they be overcome. In a way, the module functions as a
detective story of sorts, forcing the PCs to piece together the clues provided if they are to see the adventure through to its conclusion.

My favorite of these encounters involves one of the three new monsters introduced, the Black Circle Demon. I love
the way the woodland demon in question, which appears as a circular latticework of gnarled, ebony roots, parts as the
PCs first approach it, welcoming them to the soon-to-be-discovered horrors within. As soon as the PCs step beyond the opening, however, it immediately closes behind them, leaving them no choice but to face the two human figures
within. What makes the encounter especially deadly is the fact that an empathic link has been established between
the demon and the two human combatants lurking inside. The PCs, when they see that their attacks seem to be having little effect on the the two human figures, are forced to reflect on the peculiar circumstances of the encounter,hopefully coming to the realization that they must first deal with the demon itself if they are to have any chance of survival. Once the battle is over, the PCs are further rewarded with good play/logical deduction, for if they are to cast a certain spell on the bodies of the two dead humans, they will gain much-needed information on the Dark Druids, which, in turn, provides a motivation for them to explore further.

Part II: The Dungeon

What I most enjoyed about the dungeon itself, which takes the form of an underground stronghold for the titular Dark Druids, is that Robert takes the time to describe each room therein in great detail, often commentating on not
just what the PCs see, but what they hear and sense as well, all of which is conveyed via Robert's much-appreciated florid prose. The descriptions themselves can be quite upsetting, I must warn you, the images conjured up through
Robert's words lingering on the gamer's mind for quite some time afterwards.

Another aspect of the dungeon I can appreciate is its highly dynamic character. The actions of the PCs in the earlier sections of the dungeon often influence the events that unfold in later sections. This has to be the case, because the stronghold of the Dark Druids is peopled with two warring factions who are almost always on the move.

The icing on the cake, so to speak, is the fact that He of Eternal Darkness himself directly interacts with the PCs twice in the module, at one point even offering to aid the PCs against the two warring factions in the stronghold should they agree to his quest. This poses an interesting dilemma for good-aligned PCs: Do they accept the aid of an obviously malign deity so that the greater good can be accomplished, that of the destruction of the two warring factions, or do they refuse his offer of aid, thus making their escape from the stronghold all the more difficult as well as allowing the two factions to continue down their destructive path .. or so the PCs are led to believe?"

This adventure is for 9th-12th level
PCs who are quested to destroy the Druids, who are thmemselves bent on the destruction of mankind.

The original article occurs here:

http://p085.ezboard.com/fpiedpiperpublishingfrm41

Rob

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:01 pm 

So what's the adventure about? Is there a quest or a goal? I've probably miss-read the description above or I've missed something.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:08 pm 

Yep, Killjoy's composing some questions for me, which I look forward to answering, especially the one,  "To You, What is Old School?"  I have a very specific response in mind for that one, guaranteed!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:15 pm 

Mbassoc--

I updated/edited the ending matter with an expanded description and an external link.

Rob

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:27 pm 

The Robilar wrote:Yep, Killjoy's composing some questions for me, which I look forward to answering, especially the one,  "To You, What is Old School?"  I have a very specific response in mind for that one, guaranteed!

heheheh i think i will sidestep that one then :D

nah i gotta ask that one in particular. i have always been very interested in what people term "old school".

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext