Rob J. Kuntz's CAIRN OF THE SKELETON KING update info
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 28123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 262728
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:01 am 

dbartman wrote:Otherwise it's purely to resell, which I don't think was the intent.

You seem to be approaching this from a different mindset, Doug, as that cannot possibly be my "justification" in such purchases. Thanks for telling me my intention and telling Rob his intention, though. :)

In your example above (where you need to buy at least four more copies), people can circumvent using other IDs/cards or else they'll just not bother and buy a max of 1 limited + 1 runic (total $40). Where as before they might have purchased 5 runics (total $125) or else tempted by 3 limited + 3 runic, say (total $105).
In the worst case, that's an $85 "loss" in sponsorship custom to Rob... even if it spreads the copies you appear to desire out a bit further.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:28 am 

faro wrote:.... Thanks for telling me my intention and telling Rob his intention, though. :)

You have to hate it when that happens  :lol:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:03 am 

Mars wrote:Depends on what you mean by value.  What is their value now?

I have 2 runic copies of Tower of Blood pre-ordered, anyone want to swap one for a runic copy of Cairn of the Skeleton King?

Well, OK...there's a good start on value.

Is a runic of Tower of Blood equal to a runic of Cairn of the Skeleton King?

(I love discussing a rare item that has not been mailed yet and its relative value to another item that does not exist yet.  :lol: )

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:03 am 

Marlith wrote:You have to hate it when that happens  :lol:

^^

MShipley88 wrote:Is a runic of Tower of Blood equal to a runic of Cairn of the Skeleton King?

Hmm.... for best results, play?

(Unless those runes unlock some extra key in the module, that is... :))

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:00 am 

dbartman wrote: Does a collector really need to have more than a couple?  Otherwise it's purely to resell, which I don't think was the intent.

ummm bit of a flaw in that comment there DB. look at some of the other stuff that we collect. how many copies of one item do you have, or do you just have one of everything?

Al

ps. dont forget though, in the end, its Rob's decision what he wants to do with that. one thing i will say though, if you (and i dont just mean you DB am talking generally) went on PPPs site more often and checked info on the forums, you would have got the msg quicker that they were for sale.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:02 am 

MShipley88 wrote:And, of course, there is also the chance that the runic copy collectors will be left with items that turn out to be of little value.
Mark   8)

as i said before, it makes little difference to me whether a "runic copy" holds value or not, that wasnt the reason i got it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:05 am 

MShipley88 wrote:My main thought was that Rob could make even more money by offering slightly more runic copies.   :?

I wonder how many "runic" copies there would have to be before the value went down....?  Anyone?

Mark   8)

yeah hey we could have Runics AA to ZZ and then maybe AAA to ZZZ too, there thats another 52 copies :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:06 am 

thing is guys, consider this, IF the copies DO build in value, would a runic copy be of more worth than #1 ?

#1 is always a draw.

either way it dont make any difference to me :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:09 am 

faro wrote:(Unless those runes unlock some extra key in the module, that is... :))

Perhaps if you bring all the runic copies together at the right time you can open a portal to somewhere (perhaps a distand land, another plane of existance, or a janitorial closet in the old TSR headquarters).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:10 am 

killjoy32 wrote:yeah hey we could have Runics AA to ZZ and then maybe AAA to ZZZ too, there thats another 52 copies :D

No XYZZY, then?

[ed.] darn... beaten by one minute... (see post above) :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:10 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
yeah hey we could have Runics AA to ZZ and then maybe AAA to ZZZ too, there thats another 52 copies :D

Al

Actually that would be 140556 (52*52*52 - 52) more copies, assuming AAA, AAB, AAC, etc.  With that many copies there would probably be a distinct drop in value.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:12 am 

NetRodent wrote:
Actually that would be 140556 (52*52*52 - 52) more copies, assuming AAA, AAB, AAC, etc.

dya know there is always one to complicate things :)

AAA, BBB, CCC etc not feckin AAA, AAB  :?

oh well we will just have to stick with A to Z :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:12 am 

NetRodent wrote:
Actually that would be 140556 (52*52*52 - 52) more copies, assuming AAA, AAB, AAC, etc.

Why not just have Bronze, Silver, Gold and Green Runic sets. Each costs more and perhaps has an extra encounter for each level above the basic. That way you could have 104 specials each level better than the previous and then have 300 or 400 basic.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:20 am 

NetRodent wrote:
Perhaps if you bring all the runic copies together at the right time you can open a portal to somewhere (perhaps a distand land, another plane of existance, or a janitorial closet in the old TSR headquarters).

OOO!  Must...post...off....topic.....

Headed over to the OT thread....

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:06 am 

I think its going to be interesting to see if the next time around(if there is one) and one person picks up all the runic copies at once, especially if they are not a known, or even worse a not liked individual...........

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:24 am 

bclarkie wrote:I think its going to be interesting to see if the next time around(if there is one) and one person picks up all the runic copies at once, especially if they are not a known, or even worse a not liked individual...........

I would never do that. My pockets aren't quite deep enough.  :wink:

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:28 am 

You seem to be approaching this from a different mindset, Doug, as that cannot possibly be my "justification" in such purchases. Thanks for telling me my intention and telling Rob his intention, though.

Not at all, I'm sure that most people's justification is strictly from a collecting standpoint and to support Rob's endeavor.  I'm definitely not questioning Rob's.  But, evidently seven people bought all 26 runic copies.  That's an average of 3+ each!  Not that they knew they would necessarily get runic copies, but they did.

In your example above (where you need to buy at least four more copies), people can circumvent using other IDs/cards or else they'll just not bother and buy a max of 1 limited + 1 runic (total $40). Where as before they might have purchased 5 runics (total $125) or else tempted by 3 limited + 3 runic, say (total $105).
In the worst case, that's an $85 "loss" in sponsorship custom to Rob... even if it spreads the copies you appear to desire out a bit further

Actually, in the example I gave you would need to buy a total of 4 numbered copies before you could get another runic.  So, a sponsor could buy: (2) 1R + 1N, (3) 1R + 2N, (4) 1R + 3N, (5) 1R + 4N, (6) 2R + 4N, (7) 2R + 5N etc.

Could this method could sell more just as quickly?  Who knows?  It's just an idea.
Is it a little more complicated?  Yes, but not too bad.
Could people "cheat" the system?  Yes, but probably not the people that are sponsoring/supporting.

It would be nice for as many sponsor-level people as possible to be rewarded for their extra contributions.  Bear in mind that the numbered copies are a motivation too, and many elect to go that route instead.  You must be a sponsor to even qualify for the runic copies.

ummm bit of a flaw in that comment there DB. look at some of the other stuff that we collect. how many copies of one item do you have, or do you just have one of everything?

Al

ps. dont forget though, in the end, its Rob's decision what he wants to do with that. one thing i will say though, if you (and i dont just mean you DB am talking generally) went on PPPs site more often and checked info on the forums, you would have got the msg quicker that they were for sale.

Hello Al,

Okay, my comment could be flawed or badly stated, but one might be inclined to perhaps resell a couple copies if they had more than three?

With respect to going on PPP sites more often.  That would be difficult since I think the notice came out in the middle of the work day.  I didn't find out until around 6:00 PM EST.

And as a general comment, I wouldn't recommend producing additional runic copies.  It dilutes the limited nature of them.  There are 500 numbered copies too.

I think its going to be interesting to see if the next time around(if there is one) and one person picks up all the runic copies at once, especially if they are not a known, or even worse a not liked individual...........

Interesting point.  There is nothing to prevent that.  And nothing wrong with it either.  It would be unfortunate though.

Bottom line, I'm happy to sponsor Rob's endeavors.  Just trying to offer some constructive input!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:46 am 

dbartman wrote:
Interesting point.  There is nothing to prevent that.  And nothing wrong with it either.  It would be unfortunate though.

Bottom line, I'm happy to sponsor Rob's endeavors.  Just trying to offer some constructive input!

wll i am way below the average of 3+ so thats me out of the picture

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 28123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 262728