Rob J. Kuntz's CAIRN OF THE SKELETON KING update info
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 14 of 28123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 262728
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:53 pm 

And, of course, there is also the chance that the runic copy collectors will be left with items that turn out to be of little value.

I am not in a runic copy market anyway.  I am considering whether I should stay a loyal subcriber or buy that last thing my Stormbringer collection is missing...for almost exactly the same price.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:27 pm 

What really matters for future value is going to be the quality of the product.   If this recreates 1st edition adventuring to its pure form, it will be valuable and sell other modules.  If it is crap, no one will buy the others and this will fall into obscurity.  My belief is that Rob in fact can recapture 1982, but I only bought one copy, as I am more of a gamer than collector.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:33 pm 

Gradek wrote:What really matters for future value is going to be the quality of the product.

That is not proven out. Many of the rare and valuable D&D products are rare and valuable because they are crap. No-one bought them at the time.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:57 pm 

Gradek wrote:What really matters for future value is going to be the quality of the product.   If this recreates 1st edition adventuring to its pure form, it will be valuable and sell other modules.  If it is crap, no one will buy the others and this will fall into obscurity.  My belief is that Rob in fact can recapture 1982, but I only bought one copy, as I am more of a gamer than collector.

well i tell you something - there is NO WAY this product is going to be crap. i have been speaking to Rob directly all the way through this product and i tell you now, it is the best thing i have seen for many moons.

there is no doubt in my mind that this is going to be well liked. if you dont like it, you need your head seeing to, believe me!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:58 pm 

Gradek wrote:What really matters for future value is going to be the quality of the product.   If this recreates 1st edition adventuring to its pure form, it will be valuable and sell other modules.  If it is crap, no one will buy the others and this will fall into obscurity.  My belief is that Rob in fact can recapture 1982, but I only bought one copy, as I am more of a gamer than collector.

Oh man.  I consider 1982 to be "late."

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:00 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:That is not proven out. Many of the rare and valuable D&D products are rare and valuable because they are crap. No-one bought them at the time.

absolutely correct. some of the biggest rares are a little pile of sh*te.

i have runic copies and for me, i couldnt care less if they have future value or not. i bought them because i support the effort.

to me, they will have more meaning than just potential value.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:22 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
absolutely correct. some of the biggest rares are a little pile of sh*te.

i have runic copies and for me, i couldnt care less if they have future value or not. i bought them because i support the effort.

to me, they will have more meaning than just potential value.

Al

That's just 'cos you earn so much doing our regular job. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:57 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
That's just 'cos you earn so much doing our regular job. :D

you have seriously gotta be kidding :)

i dont have many luxuries in life. i split them between doing the MDS and getting books :)

i wish i had even half of the spending power you lot have on here thats for sure!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:11 pm 

Quality gaming material ... valuable ..don't think so.

ST1 is a classic .. one of our group plays regularly in Banbridge (check that out on a search engine). I mentioned to him the price ST1 was fetching on ebay. He choked, spat out his beer (very wasteful, tut tut) and described how his DM had dug up his old copy to play last year. The players thought it was such a piece of vacuous crap that they ceremonially trashed it half way through the session.

Is it valuable .. you bet

Is it excellent gaming material .....

Although I hear my mate rushed back down the A1 to hunt through the old dustbins.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:36 pm 

I guess my thinking was that you could order as many of the numbered copies as you wanted but you would only receive one runic per up to four numbered. So, if a person signed up for Full - Green Dragon (2-5 copies) they would get one runic and 1-4 numbered. Another order could be place but no second runic copy could be acquired until 4 numbered ones were purchased.

Make sense?  I don't think that is too complicated.  They should still sell quickly. I think it would make the collector's happy by spreading them out a little more instead of a few "quick-draws" snagging them all up. Does a collector really need to have more than a couple?  Otherwise it's purely to resell, which I don't think was the intent.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:11 am 

My main thought was that Rob could make even more money by offering slightly more runic copies.   :?

I wonder how many "runic" copies there would have to be before the value went down....?  Anyone?

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:54 am 

Depends on what you mean by value.  What is their value now?

I have 2 runic copies of Tower of Blood pre-ordered, anyone want to swap one for a runic copy of Cairn of the Skeleton King?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:01 am 

dbartman wrote:Otherwise it's purely to resell, which I don't think was the intent.

You seem to be approaching this from a different mindset, Doug, as that cannot possibly be my "justification" in such purchases. Thanks for telling me my intention and telling Rob his intention, though. :)

In your example above (where you need to buy at least four more copies), people can circumvent using other IDs/cards or else they'll just not bother and buy a max of 1 limited + 1 runic (total $40). Where as before they might have purchased 5 runics (total $125) or else tempted by 3 limited + 3 runic, say (total $105).
In the worst case, that's an $85 "loss" in sponsorship custom to Rob... even if it spreads the copies you appear to desire out a bit further.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:28 am 

faro wrote:.... Thanks for telling me my intention and telling Rob his intention, though. :)

You have to hate it when that happens  :lol:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:03 am 

Mars wrote:Depends on what you mean by value.  What is their value now?

I have 2 runic copies of Tower of Blood pre-ordered, anyone want to swap one for a runic copy of Cairn of the Skeleton King?

Well, OK...there's a good start on value.

Is a runic of Tower of Blood equal to a runic of Cairn of the Skeleton King?

(I love discussing a rare item that has not been mailed yet and its relative value to another item that does not exist yet.  :lol: )

Mark   8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:03 am 

Marlith wrote:You have to hate it when that happens  :lol:

^^

MShipley88 wrote:Is a runic of Tower of Blood equal to a runic of Cairn of the Skeleton King?

Hmm.... for best results, play?

(Unless those runes unlock some extra key in the module, that is... :))

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:00 am 

dbartman wrote: Does a collector really need to have more than a couple?  Otherwise it's purely to resell, which I don't think was the intent.

ummm bit of a flaw in that comment there DB. look at some of the other stuff that we collect. how many copies of one item do you have, or do you just have one of everything?

Al

ps. dont forget though, in the end, its Rob's decision what he wants to do with that. one thing i will say though, if you (and i dont just mean you DB am talking generally) went on PPPs site more often and checked info on the forums, you would have got the msg quicker that they were for sale.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:02 am 

MShipley88 wrote:And, of course, there is also the chance that the runic copy collectors will be left with items that turn out to be of little value.
Mark   8)

as i said before, it makes little difference to me whether a "runic copy" holds value or not, that wasnt the reason i got it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 14 of 28123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 262728