Rob J. Kuntz's CAIRN OF THE SKELETON KING update info
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:07 am 

Pied Piper Publishing Product Sponsorship

Dear Prospective Sponsor:

Pied Piper Publishing is seeking sponsors for its upcoming product line which will consist of AD&Dâ„¢ compatible adventures and source books. Its first adventure release, "Cairn of the Skeleton King," will see publication within the next 60 days and this is the most current product which PPP is soliciting sponsorship for.

Product/Program Details: The 48 page adventure will be written by myself in the OLD SCHOOL style and will have color cover art and black and white interior illustrations rendered by Jim Holloway, who has produced many excellent illustrations for TSR and other fine game publishers. These will be signed and numbered limited editions and the expected print run will be no more than 500 copies. Each copy will be individually wrapped and closed with a special seal. Every level except Bronze will come with a special certificate. All participants, and at what levels they participated, will be listed in the front matter of the product under "Friends of Pied Piper Publishing." Participants may opt not to be listed. There will be no reprints of this special edition.
The sponsorship packages will be mailed as soon as the books come off the press. Details of the project's completion and the expected date of issue will be posted on all participating sites and at WWW.Pied-Piper-Publishing.com.

Thank You For Your Patronage!

Sincerely,

Robert J. Kuntz
Pied Piper Publishing

Sponsorship levels ($14.95 per copy + Shipping & Handling)

2 copies: Bronze Level, SUBSCRIBER. This carries no certificate, but includes the signed and numbered copies.

3 or 4 copies: Silver Level, SPONSOR. This includes a SILVER DRAGON Certificate signed and numbered by the author.

5 or more copies: Gold Level, PATRON. This includes a GOLD DRAGON Certificate signed and numbered by the author.

Additionally, there will be 26 RUNIC copies issued lettered A through Z and purchasable in sets of 2, 3, 4 or 5 copies:

2 copies + 20.00 additional pledge ($14.95 x2 +20.00)
3 copies +30.00 additional pledge ($14.95 x3 +30.00)
4 copies +40.00 additional pledge ($14.95 x4 +40.00)
5 copies + 50.00 additional pledge ($14.95 x5 +50.00)

This is the full FELLOWSHIP Level and comes with a GREEN DRAGON certificate.

Shipping & Handling

Domestic Mail (U.S.):
First Class Mail: 1 copy P&H-- $3.00
--for each additional copy in same order, postage-- + $1.00

Canada:
Air Mail: 1 copy P&H-- $3.00
--for each additional copy in same order, postage-- + $1.25

Overseas (All Countries):
Air Mail: 1 copy P&H-- $6.50 P&H
--for each additional copy in same order, postage-- + $1.50

(These postal rates are subject to change by the USPS)

Please query for different shipping options, but it becomes very expensive to mail to Canada or overseas when one goes above Airmail.

Reserve Issues: There will be no reserving of numbers, but I will maintain a ledger and mark each as "issued" and to whom on a first come first serve basis.

Mail Your pledges to:

Robert J. Kuntz
3704 W. Burnham St., UPPER
Milwaukee, WI 53215 USA

Electronic orders are encouraged for overseas participants. Use the
following PayPal link: [email protected]. Please note in the "notes field" your sponsorship level and current mailing address.

All orders should include your e-mail contact information.
For Inquiries: [email protected]

Pied Piper Publishing
Pathways to Enchantmentâ„¢

AD&Dâ„¢ is a registered trademark of Wizards of the Coast.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:16 pm 

I'm in.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:43 pm 

obiter wrote:I'm in.

i've already ordered and paid :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:55 pm 

Count me in.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:50 pm 

UPDATE:

All special Runic Copies have been accounted for! They are sold out and we are not accepting anymore orders for them!

Sorry if you have missed out on this opportunity!!

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:55 pm 

Deogolf wrote:UPDATE:

All special Runic Copies have been accounted for! They are sold out and we are not accepting anymore orders for them!

There's always the next one. Any idea what's next?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:39 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

Rob has mentioned a couple of things, but nothing really specific. That man's brain is going a mile a minute it seems!!  :D

There are plenty copies of the regular special signed edition still available for pre-order though!

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:41 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

i think the way this is being done is a fab idea. everyone likes limited editions and realistically, with it being someone like Rob, and the "old school" element, youre guaranteed a success from a target source you cant go wrong with imo.

great stuff - cant wait for the next one.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:51 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:

i think the way this is being done is a fab idea. everyone likes limited editions and realistically, with it being someone like Rob, and the "old school" element, youre guaranteed a success from a target source you cant go wrong with imo.

great stuff - cant wait for the next one.

Al

I just paid for my copies.  Wish I could have gotten more, but things area bit tight right now.  I'm surprised this hasn't been done before, anyone remember the discussion we had several months ago about the classic D&D artists like Otus, Roslof, Dee, Holloway, etc selling limited editions of their stuff to fanboys like us and making a bundle?  Looks like Rob has taken the plunge and I hope it pans out for him.  Can't wait for these to be completed...

Mike B .

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:51 am 

I have to say I agree with Alan. The way the pre-ordering is being done is very professional. Presumably the pre-order money funds the printing process.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:09 am 

Yep; and the various plusses from the sponsor copies give the whole start-up process a bit more oomph for small print runs.
Beats digging too deeply into one's own pockets. Nicely done. :)

Anyhow; so far, so good, and v.m. looking forward to seeing what Rob, Jim and Peter come up with in the final product.

(Oh, and I agree; thanks, Brian, for nudging things along with that poll request and continued pressure... erm, support ^^)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:48 am 

Can I buy just one copy, plain, unsigned, no certificates?  I'd just like one to read, and maybe use for a game of D&D.  Anyone remember doing that with modules?  I don't really want to be a sponsor, but happy to be a customer.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:25 pm 

The two are not mutually exclusive. ^^

=
As I understand, Rob's project needs to get to around 300 pre-orders first; though I wouldn't have seen any particular harm in opening that to single copy pre-orders, too (other than that this first wave encourages people who might've just bought one to go for two...).
Maybe this needed to be clarified a bit further in the text, above?

Makes more business sense that way than sinking in enough money to buy a handful of woodgrains without any promise of a break-even, far less a small surplus.

If somehow the entire 500 max. gets blocked-up in twos & above (extremely unlikely) and there's no single copy pre-order at this point, give me a shout and I'll break off a copy.
(People in the UK and rest of Europe would save a bit of money collaborating on transatlantic postage, anyhow... Gone are the days, tho', of GW & co. putting in bulk orders to save us on that for low print-run material...).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:52 pm 

IIRC RJK said that the first 500 are signed and numberred. The remainder of the signed/numberred copies will go on public release and if you check with Deogolf he'll probably be taking pre-orders for those ATM.

If there is demand beyond the initial 500 signed/numberred copies, I believe RJK is entertaining the idea of an unnumbered 2nd printing.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:36 pm 

Clarification incoming?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:55 pm 

Special Author Preface
Sorry, but my post really got messed up and now I have to repost, and it was quite a long one.  Sigh.

The preorders have indeed started.  Single copy purchasers will be listed as SUPPORTERS after the other levels in the front matter.

The back cover color art will preview the next installment, "Tower of Blood."  As these limited copies will not be available off of shelves
there was no need to have BC art relating to the immediate interior product.

I have outlined Tower of Blood and drawn its maps.  In querying a few industry folks about this it seems that the concept I describe has never been done in the realm of FRPG advantures, so it should make for a challenging design and a very interesting play. :)

I want to thank all of you folks from this prestigious board for hanging in there with me through the auctions and now this endeavor.  Hoefully the preorders will hit 300 so that I amy contibue in this vein in the future!

I have included below the short preface to Cairn, as I have in the draft before me.  It has been posted at DF as well.  

____

Welcome to the ways of Enchantment Old School style. It is with deep pleasure that I present this work for your enjoyment!  If you were one of the many fine people who voted for and supported this project to its end, I cannot thank you enough, and your names have been duly highlighted upon the front matter of this work so that such unselfish support is recognized by all.

The adventure before you is my attempt to display the wonders of  a supposedly "bygone era" of FRPG.  Its outward design speaks enough for that without perusing the text, but between the covers is where you will find what has been lost to many adventures today, and hopefully what I have once again summoned for this particular product in whole or in part.  And that is Enchantment.  Pure and simple story-unfoldment promoted by action and not dreary dialogue, with healthy doses of newness and mystery, a balanced narrative as opposed to frivolous, run-on descriptions -- in summary, straight forward entertainment in a grand and invocative style.

Upon deciding to use such a product as presented here one must hearken back to the exhortations of Old School champions like Gary Gygax. The GM has, if you will, a "skeletal" framework to function with when incorporating material of this sort into their campaigns. No matter its size or how detailed a work becomes it is impossible for anyone during its many phases to fully realize every idea presented.  This work is no different from others in that regard, and there is actually more here than meets the immediate eye and which is easily expanded on by the resourceful GM.  I give guides where needed, but on the main the GM is the final arbiter of his or her own campaign and the material they decide to use within that framework.  In all such products you will find "wholes" which quickly become "parts" as GMs begin using their various creative inputs to make these distinctly their own.  In my estimation this scenario provides ample room for them to do just that and then some.

I now welcome you most heartily to turn the ancient and time-honored page of Old School forward again! And not only in this offering but in those to follow, the fans and God willing!  

Enjoy!

Robert Kuntz
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:24 pm 

Nice to see quality rpg stuff still being produced in WI (especially my home city!!).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:33 pm 

I'm ready to jump in on this...but what am I supposed to do?

Do I just send a PayPal payment to the address given?

Are single copy purchasers of the first 500 still going to get a signed copy?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Next