2nd Edition printings
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:23 am 

Here's something odd . . .  I have a Ravenloft Forbidden Lore box set.  However, all the dice are just plain, white, smooth cubes with nothing on them.  Instead, there is a small sheet of 30 stickers that need to be put on the dice (6 stickers of five different colors).

Am I crazy?  I have had numerous Forbidden Lore box sets before and I've never seen this . . . I guess it's possible that the dice already had stickers put on them, but I don't think that's the case.

Can anyone confirm that their set has "real" dice, not just blank dice with cheap stickers put on them?

Oh, and also the Castle Guide and Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide both have at least two printings:  Angled TSR logo and Gold TSR logo.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:23 am 

I have two Forbidden Lore boxed sets.  One has blank dice and sheet of stickers to put on them, while the other has seemingly identical dice with identical stickers already applied.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:47 pm 

That is how the Forbidden lore box set came - I know because I bought it new at the time and applied the stickers to the dice for my set.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:53 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Oh, and also the Castle Guide and Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide both have at least two printings:  Angled TSR logo and Gold TSR logo.

Anything more like UPC digits, or price different with these?

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:31 pm 

Hmm, never noticed that before on Forbidden Lore. . . how cheap of TSR  :?

Campaign Sourcebook & Catacomb are identical except for the Angled Logo vs. the Angled Logo in a Gold faceplate.

Castle Guide is as above, except the later Gold Faceplate also says "Castle" under DMGR2 whereas the 1st print has nothing below DMGR4.

Also, I looked and noticed more Arms & Equipment Guide printings.  This thread states the 1st print has the Gold Angled Logo and the 5th print the Black cover and TSR Dragon Logo.  2nd - 4th prints are "unknown". I've got several other printings of this - Dragon logos, $18.00 prices, a TSR Angled Gold banner that states "5th print 1994" on the copyright page (so the later Dragon logo must be 6th or later . . . the "Black cover" A&E must be at least a 7th (not a 5th).

Unfortunately, I'm out of time at the moment, so I'll have to get back to it later.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:08 pm 

Encyclopedia Magica Volume One

First (1994): States "First Printing, December 1994" on interior.  Faux leather oversized cover with bookmark.  No back cover text, only a sticker with UPC.

Encyclopedia Magica Volume Four & Index

First (1995): States "First Printing, November 1995" on interior.  Faux leather oversized cover with bookmark.  No back cover text, only a sticker with UPC.

DMGR1 Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide
First (1990): Faux leather cover, angled TSR logo, 12-digit UPC, $15.00 cover price
Second (1990): Granite cover, gold angled TSR logo, 12-digit UPC, $15.00 cover price

DMGR2 Castle Guide
First (1990): Faux leather cover, angled TSR logo, 12-digit UPC, $15.00 cover price
Second (1990): Granite cover, gold angled TSR logo, 12-digit UPC, $15.00 cover price

Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (I need to find my other copy but I have that one written down as price of $19.95 and another next to me with $18.00 and matches the 1st of MC Annual Vol One specs)

Updating somethings from the list.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:36 pm 

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/mc1.htm

Going through somethings, I got to investigating the tons of Monstrous Compendiums I have. Anyway I have two different binders of MC1, Angled TSR logo, Gold Angled TSR logo (both 1989)

Angled TSR logo, 3-hole punched, 72 sheets, 8 Dividers (still need to confirm this #, but I think I'm right here), Vampire page has a corrected sheet pasted on back, but looks like behind it was the exact info as front but eastern Vampire picture in the top right place (also seems sheets are perforated with some still having the rest of the paper attached and thus slightly wider.)

Angled TSR logo, 5-hole punched, 72s, 8d, Vampire page fixed

Gold Angled TSR logo, 5-hole punched, Copyright date on each page (1989)...

So curious for those that have this, How many dividers? and what type do you have listed above? (and if anymore differences are known)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:35 pm 

Not sure how much this will matter, but I recently obtained a couple of Psionic's Handbooks; one 1st and one 2nd.

On the back cover, the 2nd printing has "The Complete" on one line, presumably scrunched up so they can fit a larger UPC on the label.  The 1st has "The" on it's own line.  

So it might be another way to quickly identify 1st printings.  I don't have enough of the rest of them to confirm this is so with the rest of the "Complete" series, though.

YIM  

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:31 am 

Of the 2E DMGs, which one is the rarer:  the one titled:  "Dungeon Master's Guide" or the one titled:  "DUNGEON MASTER GUIDE" (both with the first 2E cover art)?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:11 am 

Ogma wrote:Of the 2E DMGs, which one is the rarer:  the one titled:  "Dungeon Master's Guide" or the one titled:  "DUNGEON MASTER GUIDE" (both with the first 2E cover art)?

Dungeon Master's Guide

First (1989): TSR Angled logo.

Second (?): TSR Gold Angled logo. As with many TSR books, no print information is listed on the interior. It is likely that there are many printings to this book that can't be identified.

They both have the same TSR logo?

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:34 am 

well, sorry if i break into this thread without any info on 2E...  maybe this is a silly question, but why dont you use the info stored here for a new section of the acaeum? (just like the JG and Pscape sections)

ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:20 am 

Ogma wrote:Of the 2E DMGs, which one is the rarer:  the one titled:  "Dungeon Master's Guide" or the one titled:  "DUNGEON MASTER GUIDE" (both with the first 2E cover art)?

Neither one is particularly rare.  Without looking very hard, here's about 40 of them:

eBay listings

I don't know how you'd go about telling which one is rarer, without a statistically significant survey, and millions of government tax dollars.  :wink:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
Neither one is particularly rare.  Without looking very hard, here's about 40 of them:

eBay listings

I don't know how you'd go about telling which one is rarer, without a statistically significant survey, and millions of government tax dollars.  :wink:

Maybe Deimos could cut a few into pieces for research..... 8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:34 pm 

Yep..All caps for the title is 2nd (thanks Deimos for listing those :) )

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:36 pm 

Plaag wrote:Yep..All caps for the title is 2nd (thanks Deimos for listing those :) )

ShaneG.

They have different TSR logos on them too.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:43 am 

More on MCs

MC1 - 1st - Angled TSR logo, 3-hole punched, 72 sheets, 8 Dividers (still need to confirm this #, but I think I'm right here - these are 5-hole punched), Vampire page has a corrected sheet pasted on back, but looks like behind it was the exact info as front but eastern Vampire picture in the top right place, sheets are perforated along side with holes with some still having the rest of the paper attached and thus slightly wider.

MC1 - 2nd - Angled TSR logo, 5-hole punched, 73 sheets (on one side it Instructions for Blank Monster sheet, other side blank), 8 Dividers, Vampire page fixed, sheets are perforated along side with holes with many perforated lines running through the holes (though edges seem cut better now).

MC1 - 3rd - Angled TSR logo, 5-hole punched, 72 sheets, 8 Dividers, No perforated pages.

MC1 - 4th - Gold Angled TSR logo, 5-hole punched, Copyright date on each page (1989)... (rest as 3rd)

MC2 - Only know of 1 printing - 5-hole punched, 8 Dividers (I think I know what they are, but could use a true confirmation)

MC3 - 1st - 5-hole punched, 32 sheets, 4 Dividers, Tri-fold cover wrap

MC3 - 2nd - 5-hole punched, 32 sheets (Copyright date on back of each page - 1989), 4 Dividers (Copyright on dividers), Tri-fold cover wrap

((Why do I do this? and can someone make it stop :) ))

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:57 am 

((Why do I do this? and can someone make it stop Smile ))

You do it because you're O/C and have the resources to fulfill those tendencies. I can make it stop. Just send me your stuff. ;)

This is a cool thread. Wish I had more 2e AD&D stuff, but I tended to go non-TSR during the 2e days (not that I didn't like 2nd Edition, its just that I wanted ot play something not D&D.)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:19 am 

Thought about starting a new topic with this question, but decided just to ask it here in this thread.

Anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of all "official" 2nd edition D&D products? How about 3.0/3.5 edition?

PreviousNext