2nd Edition printings
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:22 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:You know, given that I have nearly 30-year-old AD&D1 book that are still rough and ready to go and I've seen mid '90s printings of AD&D2 books that are basically held together with spit and bailing wire, I wonder if in the end, the shoddy binding jobs on virtually all post-Gygax material will work against the collector; to wit: "Oh yeah, sure, a 1e Player's Handbook?  Anybody can get one of those.  They're as tough as a cinderbrick.  Ahh...now a 2e Dungeon Master's Guide?  Those were practically falling apart as they left the printing house.  Rarer than hens teeth, those."

Well, you can't blame post Gygaxian printing standards for everything though.....what about that print of Unearthed Arcana that fell apart at the spine about one day after it got home from the store (I've had a copy of this one, and seen many, many more since then).  There was also a very shoddy printing of Oriental Adventures that I run into ocassionally (more spine problems). The only second edition book I've seen as bad as either of these is the afore mentioned Monster Mythology.  That, and some of the early printings of the "Complete" series that the entire binding falls off due to crappy glue on the spine.

Mike  B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:28 am 

NetRodent wrote:Here are a couple of additions for blackdougal,

Ruins of Undermountain

First (1991): TSR Gold Angled Logo.  12-digit UPC.  Box is 1.25 inches high.  Under the Forgotten Realms logo on the box top/bottom are the words "Boxed Set".  Suggested retail price is $20.  On box-bottom, "Designed by Ed Greenwood" is in a different font as the rest of the yellow text.

Second? (?):  TSR Dragon Logo.  12-digit UPC.  Box is 1.75 inches high.  Under the Forgotten Realms logo on the box top/bottom are the words "Campaign Expansion".  Suggested retail price is $25.  On box-bottom, "Designed by Ed Greenwood" in the same font as the rest of the yellow text.  Contents of box, bear the TSR Gold Angled Logo, appear to be identical to first print.

There was also a large box and a smaller box printing of Ruins of Myth Drannor.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:10 pm 

Thanks for this, it will greatly help me classify the 2E part of my collection

Gary H. Kramer

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:34 pm 

NetRodent wrote:Here are a couple of additions for blackdougal,

Thanks!  Added that info plus some other stuff.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:26 am 

Badmike wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:You know, given that I have nearly 30-year-old AD&D1 book that are still rough and ready to go and I've seen mid '90s printings of AD&D2 books that are basically held together with spit and bailing wire, I wonder if in the end, the shoddy binding jobs on virtually all post-Gygax material will work against the collector; to wit: "Oh yeah, sure, a 1e Player's Handbook?  Anybody can get one of those.  They're as tough as a cinderbrick.  Ahh...now a 2e Dungeon Master's Guide?  Those were practically falling apart as they left the printing house.  Rarer than hens teeth, those."

Well, you can't blame post Gygaxian printing standards for everything though.....what about that print of Unearthed Arcana that fell apart at the spine about one day after it got home from the store (I've had a copy of this one, and seen many, many more since then).  There was also a very shoddy printing of Oriental Adventures that I run into ocassionally (more spine problems). The only second edition book I've seen as bad as either of these is the afore mentioned Monster Mythology.  That, and some of the early printings of the "Complete" series that the entire binding falls off due to crappy glue on the spine.

Mike  B.

By that point, though, things really were post Gygax; Gary's influence had been nullifed by the Blumes.  GG was in court trying to get TSR away from them, but they were still calling the shots, so they could do things like go with ultra-cheap printing.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:01 pm 

Planescape Campaign Setting:

1st Print only has Planescape Campaign Setting on the box top and sides.

2nd Print adds "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" in blue colored text to the box top and sides.

Monstrous Manual:

Somewhere between the 3rd Print and 7th print (both of which you described) there is another indentifiable print.  (you have 4th - 6th listed as ? )

There is a White covered Monstrous Manual with a black spine and the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons text in Red.  This was  a precursor to the next step in making the entire Monstrous Manual cover black as with the Player's Handbook and DMG.  Probably a sixth print, but I can't be sure.  I know it exists though . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:10 pm 

Yeah, forgot about the PS box set (think it was talked about in a Planescape thread)

I'm curious if some of the stuff that missed the cut off date on this site has other printings. Stuff like Hollow World.

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:13 pm 

I've mentioned before that I have archived all my scans from 3+ years of reselling . . .  (over 9,000 now counting front & back)

I can check a bunch of stuff that is visible from front and back cover scans (though, for obvious reasons, I can't check inside the books themselves!  :D  )

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:19 pm 

Monstrous Manual

First (1993): White cover with TSR Angled logo.

Mine has the picture of the Skeleton, Giant with the Skeleton, Warrior description and the picture of the Skeleton, Warrior with the Skeleton, Giant description.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:29 pm 

There also appear to be two printings of the Draconomicon:

I think the second one might be a UK edition but I'm not sure.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:19 pm 

Updated with lots of new info.  Finally pulled out all the Spell Compendiums and had a good look through.

NetRodent wrote:There also appear to be two printings of the Draconomicon:

Yep, WotC did reprints of this one and Drow of the Underdark too.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:04 am 

blackdougal wrote:Updated with lots of new info.  Finally pulled out all the Spell Compendiums and had a good look through.

NetRodent wrote:There also appear to be two printings of the Draconomicon:

Yep, WotC did reprints of this one and Drow of the Underdark too.

Keep them coming if you find more.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:14 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
guerret wrote:Actually, there are several 2E items which are much more difficult to find than a lot of 1E or D&D items. On the other hand, when they do show up, they fetch very low prices (collectors tend not to be interested in them). Unless they are Planescape- or Greyhawk-related.

which items are they?

The Complete Necromancer's Handbook. Last time I saw a copy of this it was going for $90. Every other 'Complete' book goes for $20 or less.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:51 pm 

I don't think a necromancer is going to get you that much anymore.  A quick check on Ebay shows 4 for auction and 7 in Ebay stores with the highest ebay store price of $60, several in the $35 range too.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:49 pm 

Paid £18 for mine but it's a mint copy. To be honest when it arrived it was so nice I didn't dare read it which was a shame as I was really looking forward to getting it. I guess I sound really anal now but you what I mean? :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:37 pm 

Mars wrote:I don't think a necromancer is going to get you that much anymore.  A quick check on Ebay shows 4 for auction and 7 in Ebay stores with the highest ebay store price of $60, several in the $35 range too.

Go figure. :oops:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:54 am 

Monstrous Manual

Second: Unknown.

Third (1994): White cover with TSR Dragon logo.

Fourth - Fifth: Unknown.

Sixth (?): Same as third print except text on spine is in red.

Seventh (1996): Cover has been redone in the newer black cover style, in line with the revised Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master Guide.

I have an update on Monstrous Manual printings.

Second: Unknown.

Third (1994): White cover with TSR Dragon logo.  Third printing on copyright page.

Fourth: ?

Fifth:  Monstrous Manual in Black Letters, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in Red letters.  "2nd edition" no longer on title.  White cover.  5th printing on copyright page.

Sixth:  All black cover.   Address info on back cover states "TSR".

Seventh:  All black cover. Address info on back cover states:  "Wizards of the Coast, inc.".  (Still uses a TSR logo).  States 7th printing on copyright page.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:24 pm 

Thanks, info added!  I also added the Wizard Spell Deck and Deck of Magical Items.  Anybody know if the Priest Deck was done in the small version?  Or if the Psionics Deck was ever done in the large?

PreviousNext