X10 - Red Arrow Black Shield
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:00 pm 

A while ago I bought the shrinkwrapped version of this module for much more than it was worth heh. But it was worth it to me.

One of my fav all time modules even though its basic D&D. Anyone ever actually play it with the full military campaign running?

In search of the unknown...

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:44 am 

Not yet but once I finish my current campaign, it's next up--military campaign and all.

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:33 pm 

That's cool, tell me more about your campaign. What system? Plan on using the bogus warmachine rules that come with the basic system?

The neatest aspect of X10 is the fact that you can adventure for more military support and the clock is always ticking. The heroes need to move very fast or split up to make it to most of the nations before the Master is at the gates of Darokin.

One time I tried to use the scenario editor from the Great Battles pc computer game series to make the battles but it was an arduous effort. Maybe the new Total War series could be used. Hope they come out with a fantasy version some day.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:00 pm 

I strictly run a slightly howmbrew blend of 1E. Right now I'm hammering moderately high-level players with a Rakshasa Noble and his minions as they attempt to procure a dominion over which to rule.

Whether or not that works out, they're going to be steered into X10 and I'll adjust based on how many survive the Rakshasa and if they won a region.

As for the "Battlesystem," the answer is, sorta. Interesting you should ask as I'm just now trying to put them in a more linear hardcopy format for my current crop of new players. To be honest, I use a very complex bastardization of those rules that has slowly evolved over the years since they made their debut. My original group of players (that I was once a part of) helped form it a long time ago. It now hardly resembles the original but the peripheral tiles, concepts, et al come in handy.

If you're really interested, I'll email you a copy when I finish organizing and tidying them up.

If you use another system, I'd love to hear about it. I'm always happy to pirate good ideas.     :)

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:26 pm 

X10 works well with my War Machine rules (Companion set).

-- da awthur

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:27 pm 

ExTSR wrote:X10 works well with my War Machine rules (Companion set).

-- da awthur

?!

You mean you wrote the War Machine rules? If that's true I've got some questions for ya buddy. :D

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:49 pm 

Favonius Cornelius wrote:?!

You mean you wrote the War Machine rules? If that's true I've got some questions for ya buddy. :D

Favonius,

That's Frank Mentzer, who wrote/edited the Basic-Expert-Companion-Master-Immortal sets.

He has a question and answer thread over on Dragonsfoot:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10717

*waves*

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:12 am 

yeah franks a cool guy *thumbs up*

still sitting here sulking that i cant afford that BIN for the tourney  :(

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:39 am 

killjoy32 wrote:yeah franks a cool guy *thumbs up*

Frank Mentzer and Gary Gygax both have Q&A threads at Dragonsfoot.  At the risk of sounding like a drooling fanboy or sycophant, I have always come away with a good feeling after reading their responses to (sometimes way geeky) questions.  They are two gaming icons that have exceeded my expectations of how gracious someone famous can be.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:41 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:

Frank Mentzer and Gary Gygax both have Q&A threads at Dragonsfoot.  At the risk of sounding like a drooling fanboy or sycophant, I have always come away with a good feeling after reading their responses to (sometimes way geeky) questions.  They are two gaming icons that have exceeded my expectations of how gracious someone famous can be.

well its not really cos of that. franks cool, cos he's just one of the gaming guys and not someone on a pedestal. always have respect for someone who is part of the bunch and nothing more.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:05 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
JohnGaunt wrote:

well its not really cos of that. franks cool, cos he's just one of the gaming guys and not someone on a pedestal. always have respect for someone who is part of the bunch and nothing more.

*nods*  My comment was about my reaction to reading their posts.  I wasn't implying that you were a fanboy.  I am so glad that two of the main people who built D&D remain accessible to the public and still enjoy gaming.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:10 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Frank Mentzer and Gary Gygax both have Q&A threads at Dragonsfoot.  At the risk of sounding like a drooling fanboy or sycophant, I have always come away with a good feeling after reading their responses to (sometimes way geeky) questions.  They are two gaming icons that have exceeded my expectations of how gracious someone famous can be.

Just for completeness sake, I'll also note that Rob Kuntz, Jim Ward,  and Steve Marsh (posts at Ethesis here) also have Q&A threads over in the General Discussion section on Dragonsfoot. Frank's also been trying to entice Tom Moldvay to join.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:19 am 

zhowar wrote:Just for completeness sake, I'll also note that Rob Kuntz, Jim Ward,  and Steve Marsh (posts at Ethesis here) also have Q&A threads over in the General Discussion section on Dragonsfoot. Frank's also been trying to entice Tom Moldvay to join.

well tbh i just think its great that these guys spend what time they can, to answer everything you want to ask them and not only that, they freely join in other discussions and involve themselves in a still thriving community that they have been part of since way back.

the more the merrier i say.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:55 am 

Yo momma.

Sheesh, can't even lurk in peace.

I think I'll put you guys in an upcoming module -- as brigands.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:34 pm 

Wow...I am among greats. Hah, I too wish not to sound like a fanboy here either, but I grew up with your works and the other great D&D authors. Fueled my imagination as a kid and helped expand and hone my current mind.

I salute you my friends!

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:24 pm 

Wait a sec, did I miss something here. I thought everyone here knew who extsr is, in real life that is. Not to be confused with internet life.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:43 pm 

still sitting here sulking that i cant afford that BIN for the tourney  :(

Al

what tourney?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:14 pm 

A seasonally-appropriate tourney:

about3892.html

:wink:

Next