Joining the Immortals - 1000 Posts
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:33 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Or is that from the Conan movie? I don't remember much about the movie, other than trying to rip my eyes out upon leaving the theater.

Aw, c'mon!  Conan the Barbarian is my favorite movie of all time!  Okay, I know there are some better ones out there, but this packs the most sentimental value in my life!

Conan came out when I was in 4th grade.  I somehow managed to convince my mother to take me to see it (something that she still complains about to this day).  Not only was it the first "R" rated movie I saw . . . but it came out almost exactly the same time I met my friend Greg who introduced me to this game called Dungeons & Dragons.

The day after I saw the Conan movie, I noticed that there were Conan comics on the rack at the local News store.  I bought Conan #137 and King Conan #11 (still remember  :D )

So, within the span of 2 weeks, I started playing D&D, starting collecting comics and had seen the Conan the Barbarian movie.

It wasn't too long after that that I picked The Book of Three - first book in the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander . . .

And life, as they say . . . would never be the same again.   :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:03 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Aw, c'mon!

Okay, I'm not saying it's Highlander II or anything, just that it didn't do much for me and reminded me not at all of Robert E. Howard's creation.

Actually, the Conan movie lost me in the first 20 minutes. I mean, really, the explanation for Conan's size is that he pushed a wheel for a bunch of years? Check, please!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:54 am 

Sword and the Sorcerer was pretty bad, yes, but my brother liked it enough to create a TriSword for one of his NPC rulers :D

Both CtD and S&S were much better than Yor Hunter from the Future, my vote for worst fantasy film ever (yes, it's actually better than HL II, III, and beyond)!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:15 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Obviously, he never saw Hercules, with Lou Ferrigno.  Now there was a terrible movie.

That Hercules movie with Lou Ferrigno maybe the worst movie of all time.  If its not it is definitely in the Top 5.  After seeing that movie, it did not leave you to wonder why they never had the Hulk speak on the TV show.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:11 am 

One word:  Gymkata!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:22 am 

Yor, the Hunter From the Future was the worst I can recall.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:33 am 

Heres a site that can help in one of two ways:

1. If you crave really bad movies and just can't get enough of them then it will point you in the right direction (read: wrong direction) 8O

2. If you want to avoid really bad movies it will also help you  :wink:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:56 am 

improvstone wrote:Heres a site that can help in one of two ways:

1. If you crave really bad movies and just can't get enough of them then it will point you in the right direction (read: wrong direction) 8O

2. If you want to avoid really bad movies it will also help you  :wink:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/

Wow, I am almost embarrassed to say I have seen a lot of the movies on that list. :oops:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:59 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:One word:  Gymkata!

(barfing noise) Jeez, I forgot about that one... 8O

By the way, I figure this thread has so completely gotten off topic that I would post this here since we were talking a bit about Conan.

http://www.ageofconan.com/conan/index.html

I got a notice from GameSpy today about this online PC game set in the Hyborian Age.  From what I have read and the few screenshots available, it is still in the early production phases.

For me, Highlander 2 wasnt nearly as bad as 3 (stupid Mario Van Peebles  :evil: ) and Endgame.  The Renegade rerelease of 2 actually made watching it tolerable.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:26 am 

grodog wrote:Sword and the Sorcerer was pretty bad, yes, but my brother liked it enough to create a TriSword for one of his NPC rulers :D

I had a friend who ported "The Glaive" from Krull over to D&D. I've still never seen S&S or Krull.

Both CtD and S&S were much better than Yor Hunter from the Future, my vote for worst fantasy film ever (yes, it's actually better than HL II, III, and beyond)!

That's on my list of worst movies I made my family see in the theatre! Along with Howard the Duck and Critters II.  :oops:

The most awesome "worst" movie I have seen in recent years is "Incubus", a 60's horror flick starring a pre-Trek Willam Shatner. The entire movie is spoken in Esperanto and features Shatner battling a devil that's just a regular goat. 8O

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:96516

(Netflix has it...if you dare)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:35 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
Aw, c'mon!  Conan the Barbarian is my favorite movie of all time!  Okay, I know there are some better ones out there, but this packs the most sentimental value in my life!

I feel similarly about that Disney "Dragonslayer" movie...which I saw in theatre when it was out & I'd guess I was about 8.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:15 am 

beastmaster - i thought that was a great film, specially with a nude Tanya ROberts :)

deathstalker - now they were BAD!

Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers - hey not even if it sucks - could be a blast :)

Microwave Massacre - corey said it best... LOL :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:22 pm 

I can see why you veterans can get up to the dizzy heights of 1,000+ posts.

Gary H. Kramer

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:28 pm 

gkramer wrote:I can see why you veterans can get up to the dizzy heights of 1,000+ posts.

Just post *LOL* in reply to everyone else. It works ^^

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:09 pm 

faro wrote:
gkramer wrote:I can see why you veterans can get up to the dizzy heights of 1,000+ posts.

LOL  :twisted:  3072

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:23 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
faro wrote:

LOL  :twisted:  3072

LOL @ erm .... :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:43 pm 

One of the worst movies from the last few decades was Krull. It puts Conan the Barbarian to shame with it's suckitude. Still, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

When I saw Conan, the theater where it was playing had a promotional gimmick. They sponsored a D&D game in the lobby. It was set in Hyboria and one of the PC's was actually Conan (who was, as you might expect, played by the DM's best friend). The game sucked way, WAY more than the movie did. I played a Nubian female fighter, and I think I was killed by a Druid casting a Rock to Mud spell, then a Mud to Rock spell, in quick succession. I sunk into the mud, then was hacked to pieces by enemies as I was stuck in rock mere moments later. Ack.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:55 pm 

Just post *LOL* in reply to everyone else. It works

I have to try something  :?:  8O  :?

LOL!!!

PreviousNext