Joining the Immortals - 1000 Posts
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:58 pm 

Yes, 1000!

And so, with this message, I cross the line of 1000 posts and join the ranks of the immortals.  I am the 11th member to cross this line.  (One, who started after me, is now far ahead of me.  Another has even started over and is likely to soon catch me again.)  Funny, like Erekose, I don't really feel much different in my new immortal form.

I wanted to take this opportunity to ruminate a bit on my experiences over the past year of membership in the Acaeum. I hope the readers will indulge me.

In January of 2005 I was transfered from my long-term sub job at Bremerton High School and sent to Naval Avenue Elementary School to work with one (1) very needy student.  It was actually a mark of trust from the district heirarchy, but at the time it felt like I was being sent into exile.  My new academic kingdom was a 10' x 10' cubicle out in a portable building.

I don't know if I was feeling sorry for myself or what, but I began to think back on the old days of gaming and wonder what was going on.  I had seen some glimmers over the recent years, including a trip to GenCon 2001 as an agent of the ill-fated company, Elemental Designer Games.  There, I met Gary Gygax and asked for his autograph like a giggling, 14-year old girl.  He signed my convention badge.  

(While I was at GenCon, I chanced upon a booth selling Judges Guild stuff, including reprints.  Alas, I had only (literally) $50 in my bank account back in Washington at the time...so I looted every free offering and brochure at the convention.)

I also had a fair collection of old Dragon magazines and other gaming materials.  Over the years, my friends had left their materials with me for safe keeping as they went off to college and had no time for gaming.  I had kept these items, in various states of repair, sort of as a shrine of our ancient deeds...and out of a vague sense that they might one day prove valuable.  (Certainly, I knew that Wierd Tales is now valueable...why not game books...some day?)

In 1984 or so I bought All The Worlds Monsters I and III in a used bookstore in Seattle's University District.  To my chagrin, I had discovered that the one monster I absolutely had to have...the Doomguard...was in volume II!  I despaired of ever completing the collection.

Anyway, one night in the spring of 2005 I decided, on a whim, to do a GOOGLE search for "Doomguard."  I hit upon a site for the World of Khass and the current publishers of the Hargrave Arduin matierals.  When I eagerly corresponded with them, they told me, to my shock, that not only was David Hargrave dead, but that he had been dead for something like 14 years!

It was time, like Elric, to go sailing in search of the past.

Back in high school, the really cool modules (aside from the incomparable giant massacre adventures) were published by Judges Guild.  I remembered that the really hip and with-it gamer kids from the University of Portland ("The Orcish Revolutionary Society"...they had a desk in the student union building) always used cool modules like The Maltese Clue or Verbosh. I also heard frequent rumor of an adventure Beneath the Storm Giant's Castle.  

But there was one adventure that I had heard much about...but never seen.  Back in 2001, the people in the Judges Guild reprint booth told me that they were temporarily out of stock...but a copy could be had in a day or so at the (then) astounding price of $21.  I thanked them and left.

Now, I determined that I would seek out this legeneary lost masterpiece.  Like Childe Roland, I had set out on a quest to seek the Dark Tower.

I thought it would be easy.  I was wrong.  A search at Bookfinder.com revealed one copy for sale...at $35...with the cover torn off the booklet.  Yikes!  Little did I know how jaded my collecting tastes would become!  Even a correspondence with Paul Jaquays turned up no leads.

A .pdf copy of Dark Tower, from DriveThruRPG, temporarily sated my passion, but I quickly found that this file, and the other Judges Guild files there for cheap, did not really satisfy.  I resorted to....Ebay.

Fencert was my early Ebay fixer.  A fine guy who always takes the high road.

Of course, my internet searches kept hitting upon a website called Acaeum.com.  Since I am not a big blogger or grognard, I was only mildly irritated by the discovery.  Soon, however, the dragon lust for RPG treasure drew me....here.

It is all well and good to be the last knight on a forgotten quest.  The problem is who do you talk to about it?  I understand exactly how Robert E. Howard must have felt among the townsfolk of Cross Plains, Texas.

I hit upon the Acaeum Judges Guild forums and discovered there the names of many of the sellers I was familiar with on Ebay.  Without so much as a hello I descended like a vampire upon a recent purchaser of a number of Judges Guild products...Killjoy...also known to mortals and desert runners as Allan Silcock.  He was kind enough to endure my bleating and help me along with my collection with a (then) huge purchase of Judges Guild items.  I thought I would be finished....hah!

(I later asked Plaag to delete some of my early Judges Guild forum posts because they were so grasping and greedy...sort of an RPG bloodlust.)

I did eventually score two copies of Dark Tower.  One was on Amazon for $9.95 and the other was on Ebay for $5.00...and I was the only bidder.  Go figure.

I have kept up posting on the Acaeum because I recognize a group of kindred spirits.  Although the Acaeum is frequently mentioned on Ebay, we really are a very select group of individuals, considering that we are a band of brothers and sisters drawn from the entire world.

My collecting tastes have broadened, including revenge upon Thieves Guild, Mayfair and most recently the Stormbringer RPG line.

I have met some pretty top quality people here, and I have been treated with courtesy and generosity.  (And I shall nay forget those acts of generosity...thank you again.)  I have also discovered how interconnected the game collecting world is...including the solving of a couple of internet mysteries...one involving an off-hand Post-It note that echoed around the world.

Along the way, a number of the old gaming legends have risen from the dust of the wastelands to greet and guide me.

And, for anyone who is still reading, a final note:   This week I won and paid for a copy of All The Worlds' Monsters II from gaming legend Greg Stafford.  When it arrives, I will, at last, have the original stats for...the Doomguard.  The circle is complete.

Like young Conan, sitting on the steps of empty Mount Doom, I must now spend at least one full minute of screen time contemplating my future destiny.

1000 posts!  WOOT!

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:34 pm 

so does that mean youre retiring now?

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:52 pm 

Congratulations Mark! Nice story  :)

Why do we always have to attack uphill?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:03 pm 

Good job, MShip!

I have been a member for more than 2 years now and still have not crossed that mark. Been around longer than that, too. Added my copies of the tourneys to the list before there was a forum. It took me a while to notice there was one.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:11 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:And so, with this message, I cross the line of 1000 posts and join the ranks of the immortals.  I am the 11th member to cross this line.  (One, who started after me, is now far ahead of me.  Another has even started over and is likely to soon catch me again.)  Funny, like Erekose, I don't really feel much different in my new immortal form.

Hmmm, I had no idea there were so few posters with 1000+ posts.  I just kind of figured I was in the middle of the pack, an average poster.  Hmmm.

And I haven't been called Immortal all week long, so thanks for brightening an otherwise hum-drum Friday, Mark :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:20 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Like young Conan, sitting on the steps of empty Mount Doom, I must now spend at least one full minute of screen time contemplating my future destiny.

Wait a minute ... Conan? Mount Doom? I know my Tolkien lore is a bit rusty, but ...

Actually, that sounds like some sort of horrible Conan of the Isles-type story that the deCamp crew would have come up with (on their way to the bank, no doubt): "Conan in Mordor" by L. Sprague deCamp, Lin Carter, and Christopher Tolkien.

+++++

Or is that from the Conan movie? I don't remember much about the movie, other than trying to rip my eyes out upon leaving the theater.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:27 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Or is that from the Conan movie? I don't remember much about the movie, other than trying to rip my eyes out upon leaving the theater.

wasnt that Conan in Wonderland? :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:33 pm 

Conan movie. Thulsa Doom lived in Mount Doom.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:48 pm 

The single best scene of Conan the Barbarian (yes, the movie) comes at the end, after Conan has slain Thulsa Doom and avenged his family.

Conan spends almost a minute of screen time (it seems) sitting on the steps of Mount Doom, contemplating his life.

When you realize that Conan's entire life up to this moment has been dedicated to getting revenge...and that now it is done...the moment becomes more powerful.  Conan quite literally has no idea what to do next.  He never even considered the problem before.

Then, of course, he throws a single bowl of burning oil onto the stone edifice of Mount Doom...which goes up like a torch in what was apparently the greatest building code safety violation of Hyborian pre-history.

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:10 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Another has even started over and is likely to soon catch me again.

I think harami-faro might be trying out the Mentzer Immortal Set rules.
An Immortal starts over again as a newbie Mortal; after they achieve Immortal status again, they become an Old One.
If 1000 is the level for an Immortal, he's getting pretty close.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:18 pm 

That was a pretty nice post, Mark! I remember when you joined the forums. You've left me in the dust, since I mostly just lurk. I've got a mere 200 posts after over a year as an actual member.

However, this has become one of my favorite places to come and waste time in. You guys here are by and large one of the best RPG communities on the web. I know there have been flame fests and bruhahas, but they pale in comparison to what I've seen on other forums.

Anyway, congrats on your 1000 post mark, Mark! :D

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:18 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Or is that from the Conan movie? I don't remember much about the movie, other than trying to rip my eyes out upon leaving the theater.

:lol:

too true.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:27 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I am the 11th member to cross this line.  (One, who started after me, is now far ahead of me. Another has even started over and is likely to soon catch me again.)

:)
Wouldn't bet on that, Mark: you've been busy posting here recently; and good to see you around, too.

Thanks for your recollecting your successful, epic Quest for the Dark Tower (& ATWM2).

$5...? Bet ya get BIN offers for your spare, now! :P
Some things never change...

Cheers & Congrats,
David.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:02 pm 

yeah mark will be catching me and BC soon....

will have to step up the posts!

:P  Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:28 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
    Then, of course, he throws a single bowl of burning oil onto the stone edifice of Mount Doom...which goes up like a torch in what was apparently the greatest building code safety violation of Hyborian pre-history.

Mark   8)

Yeh, what was that temple made of anyway?  Bricks of gasoline?

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:46 pm 

red_bus wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:

too true.

Aw 'cmon....it wasnt that bad.  :wink:  How many movies have you seen in the last few years that were as well-rounded content-wise as Conan the Barbarian?

It had a bit of everything.  Action, drama, romance, horror, suspense and humor.  I nearly pissed myself from laughing when Conan threw Thulsa Doom's severed head down the steps of the temple and all the slaves ran screaming.

And if you still dont think it was worth a darn, it still had a couple of pretty decent boobie shots.  :D

My opinion is...anyone who thought the Conan the Barbarian movie was bad obviously didnt watch Conan the Destroyer and my vote getter for all-time suckiest movie of the last century: The Sword and the Sorcerer.  The only thing that was worth a darn about that movie were the boobie shots...period.  :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:54 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
red_bus wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:

too true.

Aw 'cmon....it wasnt that bad.  :wink:  How many movies have you seen in the last few years that were as well-rounded content-wise as Conan the Barbarian?

It had a bit of everything.  Action, drama, romance, horror, suspense and humor.  I nearly pissed myself from laughing when Conan threw Thulsa Doom's severed head down the steps of the temple and all the slaves ran screaming.

And if you still dont think it was worth a darn, it still had a couple of pretty decent boobie shots.  :D

My opinion is...anyone who thought the Conan the Barbarian movie was bad obviously didnt watch Conan the Destroyer and my vote getter for all-time suckiest movie of the last century: The Sword and the Sorcerer.  The only thing that was worth a darn about that movie were the boobie shots...period.  :P

I am pretty sure that he was referring to Conan the Destroyer. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:01 am 

Obviously, he never saw Hercules, with Lou Ferrigno.  Now there was a terrible movie.

When I saw Conan the Barbarian for the first time, I was really shocked.  The canibalism and blood grossed me out.  I was not used to R rated movies at the time, and it had a pretty strong (gross) effect on me.

Apparently, they couldn't figure out what to do with Conan aside from having him pretty much fight other strange people in stranger and stranger ways.  

Still, the soundtrack rocked. I have that on CD.

Also, we have Conan the Destroyer to remind us how bad it could have been.  

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe!   :lol:

Mark  8)

Next