Am I the only one...?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:07 am 

... or are you getting an annoying amount of 404 (page not found, unavailable domain, or call it whatever you want) errors from eBay recently as well?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:12 am 

guerret wrote:... or are you getting an annoying amount of 404 (page not found, unavailable domain, or call it whatever you want) errors from eBay recently as well?

i sometimes get annoying default pages because the command i have processed doesnt do what its supposed to do, but i havent had a 404 and this doesnt happen to me that often either (maybe once a week?).....

Alan

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:22 am 

very infrequently, and I'm on dial up at home

Gary H. Kramer

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:07 am 

Havent had any problems with that but I have had an annoying issue with not being able to see certain item listings when doing particular searches.  If I disable my firewall and refresh my browser I can see them again.  Thing is I cant figure out what it is about a specific auction listing that is causing my firewall to basically make it invisible.  I would assume it is some sort of content but it is pretty random.

75% of Badmike's auctions are unavailable to me unless I disable my firewall while browsing his store.  :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:01 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Havent had any problems with that but I have had an annoying issue with not being able to see certain item listings when doing particular searches.  If I disable my firewall and refresh my browser I can see them again.  Thing is I cant figure out what it is about a specific auction listing that is causing my firewall to basically make it invisible.  I would assume it is some sort of content but it is pretty random.

75% of Badmike's auctions are unavailable to me unless I disable my firewall while browsing his store.  :?

I have the same problem, it is only on my home computer and not my laptop.  Like you my firewall on myhome computer must be too bad-ass or something  :D  I have tried everything I know including disabling all my firewalls and virus programs for a short time and it didn't help either.  It is incredibly frustrating as I also cannot figure the component that is making the items not visible,but it seems to be connected with items listed in Toys/Hobbies as I don't have the problem with other areas.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:38 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:Havent had any problems with that but I have had an annoying issue with not being able to see certain item listings when doing particular searches.  If I disable my firewall and refresh my browser I can see them again.  Thing is I cant figure out what it is about a specific auction listing that is causing my firewall to basically make it invisible.  I would assume it is some sort of content but it is pretty random.

I have the same problem, it is only on my home computer and not my laptop.  Like you my firewall on myhome computer must be too bad-ass or something  :D  I have tried everything I know including disabling all my firewalls and virus programs for a short time and it didn't help either.  It is incredibly frustrating as I also cannot figure the component that is making the items not visible,but it seems to be connected with items listed in Toys/Hobbies as I don't have the problem with other areas.

Mike B.

Ditto on that...it has only been recently though...maybe the last few months or something.  Perhaps the new updates from Microsoft or the 2006 updates from the firewalls are the culprit.

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:41 pm 

I'm so glad others have the invisable returns on ebay searches.  The only way I seem to make them viewable is to use the select and compare.  Then they become visable to me.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:06 pm 

Disjected wrote:I'm so glad others have the invisable returns on ebay searches.  The only way I seem to make them viewable is to use the select and compare.  Then they become visable to me.

I also have this problem as well. We discussed this problem several months ago, I think Jeff<gamersrest> brought it up.  I emailed EBay and there were about as useful as an ejection seat for a helicopter. I am pretty sure that it is a definitely a firewall issue and for some reason I also think it is related to Ebay's Turbo Lister. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:04 pm 

I suppose it begs the question, what firewall are you using?  

I use ZoneAlarm and it works well (free too!)

Gary H. Kramer

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 pm 

Badmike wrote:I have the same problem, it is only on my home computer and not my laptop.

Mike, unfortunately disabling the firewall will most likely leave the components in place so this approach won't prove or disprove whether it is the firewall.  The only way to prove it is the  firewall is to uninstall it.  Reboot the system.  Then attempt to access all your auctions.

You should take some time to try out different combinations of firewall / antivirus / anitspyware software to see which works best on your system.  I highly recommend avoiding the ones which claim to do it all and sticking to individual packages which work really well together.

gkramer wrote:I suppose it begs the question, what firewall are you using?  

I use ZoneAlarm and it works well (free too!)

I have had problems with ZoneAlarm playing nice with other packages.  Nortons has been nothing but a pain.  

Currently I am using:

Firewall - Outpost Pro
Anitvirus - NOD32
Spyware - Ewido

For me they have worked really well.  I have also purchased them in the family packs (4 or 5 lic) which works out to be quite cheap.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:53 pm 

guerret wrote:... or are you getting an annoying amount of 404 (page not found, unavailable domain, or call it whatever you want) errors from eBay recently as well?

just thought i would mention....the last few days, i have been getting a lot of "this page cannot be displayed" on ebay.

so maybe they DO have a problem in their system somewhere?

Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I emailed EBay and there were about as useful as an ejection seat for a helicopter.

Would you settle for the usual kind?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair-Sik ... 4635322620