Am I the only one...?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 671
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 13, 2019
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:07 am 
 

... or are you getting an annoying amount of 404 (page not found, unavailable domain, or call it whatever you want) errors from eBay recently as well?

 ICQ  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:12 am 
 

guerret wrote:... or are you getting an annoying amount of 404 (page not found, unavailable domain, or call it whatever you want) errors from eBay recently as well?


i sometimes get annoying default pages because the command i have processed doesnt do what its supposed to do, but i havent had a 404 and this doesnt happen to me that often either (maybe once a week?).....

Alan



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 117
Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:22 am 
 

very infrequently, and I'm on dial up at home


Gary H. Kramer

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:07 am 
 

Havent had any problems with that but I have had an annoying issue with not being able to see certain item listings when doing particular searches.  If I disable my firewall and refresh my browser I can see them again.  Thing is I cant figure out what it is about a specific auction listing that is causing my firewall to basically make it invisible.  I would assume it is some sort of content but it is pretty random.

75% of Badmike's auctions are unavailable to me unless I disable my firewall while browsing his store.  :?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:01 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Havent had any problems with that but I have had an annoying issue with not being able to see certain item listings when doing particular searches.  If I disable my firewall and refresh my browser I can see them again.  Thing is I cant figure out what it is about a specific auction listing that is causing my firewall to basically make it invisible.  I would assume it is some sort of content but it is pretty random.

75% of Badmike's auctions are unavailable to me unless I disable my firewall while browsing his store.  :?


I have the same problem, it is only on my home computer and not my laptop.  Like you my firewall on myhome computer must be too bad-ass or something  :D  I have tried everything I know including disabling all my firewalls and virus programs for a short time and it didn't help either.  It is incredibly frustrating as I also cannot figure the component that is making the items not visible,but it seems to be connected with items listed in Toys/Hobbies as I don't have the problem with other areas.

Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 299
Joined: Jun 07, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 14, 2008
Location: OHIO

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:38 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:Havent had any problems with that but I have had an annoying issue with not being able to see certain item listings when doing particular searches.  If I disable my firewall and refresh my browser I can see them again.  Thing is I cant figure out what it is about a specific auction listing that is causing my firewall to basically make it invisible.  I would assume it is some sort of content but it is pretty random.

75% of Badmike's auctions are unavailable to me unless I disable my firewall while browsing his store.  :?


I have the same problem, it is only on my home computer and not my laptop.  Like you my firewall on myhome computer must be too bad-ass or something  :D  I have tried everything I know including disabling all my firewalls and virus programs for a short time and it didn't help either.  It is incredibly frustrating as I also cannot figure the component that is making the items not visible,but it seems to be connected with items listed in Toys/Hobbies as I don't have the problem with other areas.

Mike B.


Ditto on that...it has only been recently though...maybe the last few months or something.  Perhaps the new updates from Microsoft or the 2006 updates from the firewalls are the culprit.


May Eru's light shine upon you always.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 39
Joined: Feb 15, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 20, 2021
Location: South Carolina

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:41 pm 
 

I'm so glad others have the invisable returns on ebay searches.  The only way I seem to make them viewable is to use the select and compare.  Then they become visable to me.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:06 pm 
 

Disjected wrote:I'm so glad others have the invisable returns on ebay searches.  The only way I seem to make them viewable is to use the select and compare.  Then they become visable to me.


I also have this problem as well. We discussed this problem several months ago, I think Jeff<gamersrest> brought it up.  I emailed EBay and there were about as useful as an ejection seat for a helicopter. I am pretty sure that it is a definitely a firewall issue and for some reason I also think it is related to Ebay's Turbo Lister. :?


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 117
Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:04 pm 
 

I suppose it begs the question, what firewall are you using?  

I use ZoneAlarm and it works well (free too!)


Gary H. Kramer

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1106
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jun 09, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:I have the same problem, it is only on my home computer and not my laptop.


Mike, unfortunately disabling the firewall will most likely leave the components in place so this approach won't prove or disprove whether it is the firewall.  The only way to prove it is the  firewall is to uninstall it.  Reboot the system.  Then attempt to access all your auctions.

You should take some time to try out different combinations of firewall / antivirus / anitspyware software to see which works best on your system.  I highly recommend avoiding the ones which claim to do it all and sticking to individual packages which work really well together.

gkramer wrote:I suppose it begs the question, what firewall are you using?  

I use ZoneAlarm and it works well (free too!)


I have had problems with ZoneAlarm playing nice with other packages.  Nortons has been nothing but a pain.  

Currently I am using:

Firewall - Outpost Pro
Anitvirus - NOD32
Spyware - Ewido

For me they have worked really well.  I have also purchased them in the family packs (4 or 5 lic) which works out to be quite cheap.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:53 pm 
 

guerret wrote:... or are you getting an annoying amount of 404 (page not found, unavailable domain, or call it whatever you want) errors from eBay recently as well?




just thought i would mention....the last few days, i have been getting a lot of "this page cannot be displayed" on ebay.



so maybe they DO have a problem in their system somewhere?



Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1858
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2021
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:I emailed EBay and there were about as useful as an ejection seat for a helicopter.




Would you settle for the usual kind?



http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair-Sik ... 4635322620

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1