Regarding that 2nd print Woodgrain on ebay...
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:30 pm 

..so there I was just expressing an idle interest (as you do), and dropped the nice seller an email enquiring as to whether he would accept a bid from me - considering his auction is US only.  And he was kind enough to send me a reply straight away.

For your information, here it is:

------
Thanks for your interest. We would not have a problem with you bidding on the auction if you accept the following terms. BE ADVISED, NO PAYPAL FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS, SORRY, NO EXCEPTIONS. The only method of payment we will accept from international buyers is direct bank wire transfer in USD. International buyers will be responsible for all Conversion fees and the items handling fee will be raised to cover our transaction fees as well. Buyer will pay for shipping, options and totals will be provided at auction close. Insurance will be required. Sorry for all the red tape but we assure you it is necessary. Good luck should you decide to bid.
------

Hmmm. Has anyone done this before?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:09 pm 

I did this once from Canada and had quite a bit of trouble with it.  My bank could not tell me what the fees would be because the money had to pass through a couple different points along the way.  So in the end, the money I sent ended up being $20 short since someone along the way took a fee.  Not knowing this, I asked the bank to track down where/why this money went missing and ended up having to pay the seller another $20 through a different means anyway.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:31 pm 

That just sounds bizarre. I've never been more than an every-so-often international shipper, but when I do arrange an overseas deal, I prefer PayPal. This sounds fishy ...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:41 pm 

Does this have to do with the fact that many, if not all (I'm not sure about this), overseas addresses cannot be Verified, so there is no Seller Protection via PayPal?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:53 pm 

It's probably because of problems with international tracking and delivery confirmation.  Without this, the buyer could say they never got it and get paypal to give them their money back.  

If the buyers address is not verified, I don't think the buyer can be covered by the paypal protection.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:55 pm 

You can be Non-US Verified.  I ship to international Verified folks reasonably often, and they are/I am covered by the Seller Protection policy.

Thanks

Well THAT went over like a turd in a punchbowl!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:59 pm 

The seller seems to only ship by USPS.  I don't think items shipped that way can be tracked outside of the US.   Of course for a $1200+ sale, I'd make an exception and ship by FedEx.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:16 pm 

The other trouble with shipping by Fedex or UPS internationally is then the brokerage fees these companies charge to bring the package into the country.  

I was looking at the Roleaids deals and Mayfair makes a point of saying that by shipping UPS there is a minimum charge of $40 by UPS for brokerage fees.  You would probably end up paying tax on the item as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:27 pm 

Mars wrote:The other trouble with shipping by Fedex or UPS internationally is then the brokerage fees these companies charge to bring the package into the country.  

I was looking at the Roleaids deals and Mayfair makes a point of saying that by shipping UPS there is a minimum charge of $40 by UPS for brokerage fees.  You would probably end up paying tax on the item as well.

I know UPS charges exhorbitant brokerage fees import items into Canada.  I'm pretty sure FedEx doesn't charge a brokerage fee for Overnight packages.  FedEx is more expensive upfront than UPS, but when you factor in the brokerage fees I've found them to cheaper usually.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:08 pm 

If you simply require a signature, there is no way the buyer can claim it didn't arrive.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:14 pm 

I don't think a signature is enough for Paypal.  Last time I looked their requirement was tracking that could be viewed online.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:34 pm 

Mars wrote:I don't think a signature is enough for Paypal.  Last time I looked their requirement was tracking that could be viewed online.

IIRC, for all transactions that exceed $200.00(I could be off on this figure), signature confirmation to a Paypal confirmed address is required to fall under Paypal Protection policy.  For transactions less then $200.00 you only need delivery confirmation to be protected.  Signature confirmation is essentially the exact same thing as delivery confirmation as they both have tracking numbers assigned to them that can be viewed online, but with Signature Confirmation, a person must actually be present to sign for the item for them to leave it, whereas an item with just simple delivery confirmation can be left at your front door and just logged in by your mailman as delivered.  

Since the USPS does not offer signature confirmation overseas, I am guessing that is why the seller is refusing Paypal from international bidders.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:16 am 

bclarkie wrote:Since the USPS does not offer signature confirmation overseas, I am guessing that is why the seller is refusing Paypal from international bidders.

Interesting... So why do I always have to sign for USPS Insured packages then, Brian?
Or does the UK postal service not talk with USPS? :?

(Online tracking might be a different matter, since that then enters the UK computer system).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:49 am 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Since the USPS does not offer signature confirmation overseas, I am guessing that is why the seller is refusing Paypal from international bidders.

Interesting... So why do I always have to sign for USPS Insured packages then, Brian?

(Online tracking might be a different matter, since that then enters the UK computer system).

I seem to remember signing for USPS registered stuff I have purchased but that the tracking doesn't work ... so if the two postal services don't talk to each other how can you prove the signature?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:51 am 

a trusted proxy bidder may be the go, then you can bypass all that..

Brette:)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:21 am 

improvstone wrote:I seem to remember signing for USPS registered stuff I have purchased but that the tracking doesn't work ... so if the two postal services don't talk to each other how can you prove the signature?

Online tracking might not work, but the two tracking mechanisms must be correlated by the postal services, otherwise there's no way USPS would offer to insure delivery in the first place!
(This problem existed long before eBay, remember! :P)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:23 am 

beasterbrook wrote:a trusted proxy bidder may be the go, then you can bypass all that..

Brette:)

yeah i was just gonna mention that - plenty of cool guys state-side

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:19 am 

faro wrote:

improvstone wrote:
I seem to remember signing for USPS registered stuff I have purchased but that the tracking doesn't work ... so if the two postal services don't talk to each other how can you prove the signature?

Axtually on second thought I was a bit off. You can use USPS to send it Global Express Guaranteed which is tracked:

http://ircalc.usps.gov/intl_speed.asp?C ... 1&Ounces=0

That way however is extremely expensive and I am fairly certain that it can only be tracked right at the USPS and not online.  As far as you guys sure that signing from the US, are you guys sure that it is not customs related?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Next