Postage Issue
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:25 am 

Just a follow-up for anyone interested:

All The Worlds Monsters II arrived two days ago.  (Sigh  :( ) It was saddle stitched, and not perfect bound as the seller had said.

Looking at the booklet, and comparing it with the photo in the auction, it is easy to see that the binding is stapled.  It was not easy (for me) to see without the item to compare to the photo.

It says "Second Edition" on the cover...so apparently there was a third edition.

I specifically asked if this copy was stapled or perfect bound.  Is it  possible that the seller did not know what "perfect bound" means?  That's hard to believe for someone who has been in publishing.  Both my question and his answer were crystal clear.

(The seller also hasn't followed through on what he told Zhowar, or on another shipping issue that was supposedly corrected.)

I  put the thing in a bag and stuck it on my shelf.    :?

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:05 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Just a follow-up for anyone interested:

All The Worlds Monsters II arrived two days ago.  (Sigh  :( ) It was saddle stitched, and not perfect bound as the seller had said.

What is it you are actually looking for, Mark?
There were three printings of Vol 2 - http://www.afterglow2.com/Product/Chaosium.htm.
Note that the first edition is three hole punched.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:14 am 

MShipley88 wrote:That's hard to believe for someone who has been in publishing.

Impossible to believe, actually. I'm totally unimpressed, industry figure or no. Hey, maybe you and Frank could still work out a trade, though?

Man, is there anything with more highs and lows in the world of collecting than trying to complete a frickin' set of something? :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:20 am 

Is 'perfect bound' the same as 'square bound'? I would refer to the glued pages with a bonded wrapped over cover as 'square bound'. I also don't understand why people call books that are staples as 'saddle stitched'. That must also be misleading. Everything at Titan Games is 'saddle stitched'. But the 'stitches' are two metal staples.

You really have to go on the photo, and if you can see what you want to know on the photo, bid accordingly. There is no industry standard terminology or condition grading system. Something sold by TK as 'extra fine condition perfect bound softcover first edition' could more realistically be sold by a more honest seller as 'good working copy, well worn, repaired with black masking tape, staples missing, paper cover, for 1st Edition AD&D'.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:41 am 

I am looking for a glued binding...much like a large, trade paperback book.  Most Palladium books I have seen are "perfect bound," for instance.

The bound edge of a perfect bound book has square edges.  There can be widely varying levels of quality in such a binding, but the result is a "book" instead of what could more accurately be described as a "booklet" or "pamphlet" that results from saddle stitiching.

I believe the term "saddle stitched" refers to the way the stack of papers that are to be bound are fitted over a "saddle" for the staples to be driven in.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:01 pm 

If you're looking for a Vol 2 with a glued binding, toy're looking for a 3rd Edition, and it'll be notable because it'll have a glossy cover. I've not seen one in a loooong time. I've seen two or three first prints and dozens of seconds in the past few years, but not a third as I recall.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:02 pm 

Well....

I waited a while to contact Greg Stafford.  I find that if I let an issue wait for a while, I can get past initial emotions and have time to get perspective.

I decided that even with a few weeks of perspective I was still annoyed.

Here is the Ebay message I sent to Greg Stafford:

I have tried to leave positive feedback for this item several times. Each time, I struggle to find something positive to say. This is a good copy and it is signed by Greg Stafford. Still, I have two beefs to air with this item:  

First, you tacked on a $4 handling charge after the auction, over and above, the total shipping and handling charges in the auction shipping calculator.

Second, this copy of All The Worlds Monsters II is not perfect bound...as I specifically inquired and as you specifically confirmed. It is saddle stitched. This means that it is an earlier print, but it also does not match the I and III books that I already have.

I have waited a few weeks to contact you because I was waiting to get perspective on the purchase. I let the issue rest.

I would only ever leave negative Ebay feedback in the event of deliberate fraud...which I don't think you intended at all.  I finally decided that I needed to contact you and tell you my frustrations.

I am interested what the seller will reply.  I don't know what my goal is except to tell him how I feel.

Mark   8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:38 pm 

You're being more than fair, Mark. Being an "industry figure" does not grant a license to post innacurate listings or to randomly add handling charges ex post facto.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:42 am 

No reply yet.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:39 am 

Neg time.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:10 pm 

Still no reply.

Should someone send this seller a link to this thread?

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:46 pm 

seems pretty lame to me. maybe he just thinks its no biggie and cant see what the fuss is all about?  :?

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:50 pm 

Of course...in the whole scheme of things...it is no biggie.  It's all just paper, right?

Maybe he just doesn't know what to say...and maybe I shouldn't expect an answer.

I guess he irritated me enough to make me keep bringing it up....I guess I've officially crossed over from legitimate beef to just bellyaching.

What I really really wanted him to say was, "Sorry about that.  I'll try to improve my service in the future."  Doesn't look like that's happening.

Mark   8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:00 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Neg time.

Amen.

It's the height of irony that there is currently an ongoing discussion of "who should leave feedback first," while this thread involves the case of a seller who, frankly, could use a little wake-up call.

He misrepresented the item.

He added a totally arbitrary handle-me charge.

He has been, I gather, unresponsive.

Seriously, what more is required to leave negative feedback?

Either blast him or leave no feedback at all — just don't be dazzled by his "industry figure" status. That doesn't mean he gets to jack around with other people's money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:48 pm 

I sent him a link to this thread.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:52 pm 

Turns out the seller was out of the country over the past couple of weeks.  

In other words, he hadn't seen my Ebay message to him, and sending him the link was a needlessly petty thing to do.

It seems I have lost perspective.

Mark   8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:52 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Turns out the seller was out of the country over the past couple of weeks.  

In other words, he hadn't seen my Ebay message to him, and sending him the link was a needlessly petty thing to do.

It seems I have lost perspective.

You can always append the above explanation to your first post so anyone reading this thread in the future will not get the wrong impression of the seller.

You didn't have perfect information, so you acted on the information that you did have.  *shrug*  I personally would have been far less patient than you have been and would have posted negative feedback long ago.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:56 am 

hey mark, youre not a mind-reader mate. whatever his circumstances are, you were not to know.

it is a common thing where sellers reply very slowly or not at all, so you take a view that a delay in replying is one of them options.

if the guy has any nouse about it, the situation can still be fixed, all can still be happy with the transaction and a possible future sale again would still be there due to the nature of settling a current issue.

why have you lost perspective? i would have prb done exactly the same and that was echoed by others here chummer.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext