Postage Issue
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:15 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:See?  Totally ruined.  Aw well, they can't all be gems.

sorry my friend, i thought i had done something wrong and was being got at thats all :)

no worries now that you have explained it i did smile :) having a really crap day and am quite stressed out today!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:08 pm 

>> So, a previously unmentioned handling fee is OK by Ebay standards?
>>
>> I had no idea.
>>
>> SO, I could list an item at .99, list postate at .99 and legitimately charge >> $10 as a "handling fee?"
>>
>>That would be my last bid on an auction by that seller.

Yes this is okay according to Ebay.  The only complaint you might get is that $10 is excessive.  You will notice that on the auction page where shipping is listed, the word HANDLING is not mentioned.  It only says SHIPPING COST.  Handling is something that the seller can determine after the auction has finished and then add it in to the additional fees box on the Ebay checkout.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:07 pm 

Mars wrote:Yes this is okay according to Ebay.  The only complaint you might get is that $10 is excessive.  You will notice that on the auction page where shipping is listed, the word HANDLING is not mentioned.  It only says SHIPPING COST.  Handling is something that the seller can determine after the auction has finished and then add it in to the additional fees box on the Ebay checkout.

Yes but if you use the shipping calculator it clearly states shipping and handling.  If there is another form of handling which can be added after the auction. With absolutely no mention of it prior then this is clearly misleading.  

However if the handling cost is included in the cost calculated by the shipping calculator then there really is no argument as the information was available prior to the auction close.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:21 pm 

I think you are probably right with the shipping calculator.  It says

"All prices include any packaging and handling fees charged by the seller."

so you would probably have a case if it was more than that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:04 pm 

I think that paying it and chalking it up to experience was the best course.

I kept my side of things...which is what is really important to me.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:01 pm 

Did he ADD $4 to the total, or was the shipping what the calculator said? If he added it, phuq him. If not, the calc says it all. I had thought you meant he added $4 to the total.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:04 am 

To be clear:

1)  The shipping calculator did NOT include the "handling fee."

2)  I used the shipping calculator before I bid...which is simply smart practice.  It is my policy NOT to bid on an item unless these costs are stated UP FRONT.  I will not bid if the auction has no stated price for shipping.  I figure that if the seller could not give a shipping price he is either shady or planning to be shady if I will let him.

3)  I was about to pay for the auction soon after its close...but I decided not to use PayPal on a school computer.  The $4 "handling fee" was NOT  there at that time.

4)  The $4 "handling fee" would NOT have been included if I had paid at school.

5)  The seller sent an INVOICE that ADDED the $4 "handling fee" AFTER THE FACT.

6)  I paid the $4 "handling fee" because I figure that the signature and whatever other provenance I can get from the item is worth more than fighting over the $4.

7)  Had it been anyone else, I would have complained.  

8)  Yes, I let an industry name bully me.  I figure it was worth it.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:20 am 

I think its a bit of a shame that you've felt bullied into paying the $4. You seem to have done everything legitimately and still are out a few dollars.
However, I would reiterate what someone else (can't be bothered to check back for who!) said and would just about guarantee that the sellers shoddy treatment of you will have cost him more than a lousy $4 in the long run - It doesn't matter who you are,you cant go around acting like this.  A lot of people read these boards, many of them are serious 'players' and many are going to boycott these auctions now.
Just seems a shame really. (FWIW I would have bitten the big one and paid as well, all the time cursing the poxy git!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:38 am 

Mark

Thanks for clarifying.

1st and most importantly the only real criteria is whether you are happy which you appear to be.  At the end of the day you got what you wanted and saved yourself more headaches.  

Having said that the seller was unresonable by adding a $4 handling fee after the auction.  The problem I have with this is the seller may not realise that he is doing the wrong thing.  And of course if no one ever points this out to him he will never learn.

Now I am not suggesting a rude email but rather after the transaction is complete (ie you received the item, its signed and you are happy) send him a nice email thanking him for the item and just point out that he should have listed the handling charge upfront.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:14 am 

If he was happy he wouldn't be bitching about the handling fee.
So, he added the fee afterwards. I wish I had known you needed the bound copy, like I said earlier, I'd have gladly traded it to you. In fact, I'd have GIVEN it to you if you had told the guy where to go.
Industry figure. Hmmm. Here's how I have always viewed these things. He sits down to take a crap, he has cried at least 3 times in his life, and he has masturbated multiple times. He is good at what he does, and was a pioneer in his field.
I've done all these things (except the crying). So he is no different than me. I would never presume to think I am better than the next guy. I'm one of the best at what I do, but I spend no time licking my own nuts about it. Everyone has their talents, and some people are in the right place at the right time. That doesn't make them gods, or even demigods.
So is an autograph worth a $4 porking? That is your decision. Personally I'd have told him to piss off. But I am an abrasive cornhole and a realist by nature.
The important thing to remember is that EVERYTHING comes up sooner or later. Patience is the key. I waited 6 years to pick up a Rahasia, passed on several that went for $900+, and eventually got one for 1/2 that. ATWM II will show up again, and again, and again. It is not rare enough that it warrants compromising your principles. I don't give a crap if it is $4 or $4,000. Compromising your principles is like giving up your cherry. Once it's broken, there's no getting it back.
Back to my libation to Bacchus.............

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:56 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:If he was happy he wouldn't be bitching about the handling fee.

It is up to Mark to decide whether he is happy ... he certainly wasn't bitching ... from what I have seen it is not Mark' style to bitch.   He did however ask for constructive advice which he received plenty of.  He then took that that advice and made his decision.  If he was extremely unhappy he would not have purchased the item as he would have lost all respect for the seller and the signature would have become meaningless.

Deadlord39 wrote:The important thing to remember is that EVERYTHING comes up sooner or later. Patience is the key.

Except in this case Mark wanted a SIGNED copy.  Now that is something he may have to wait a very long time for ...

Deadlord39 wrote:Personally I'd have told him to piss off

I am sure the situation can be handled more professionally and without compromising principles then abusing the seller.  

I reckon that after all this is long behind us Mark will look at his collection and be happy with what he has collected.  Mark, feel free to update us with the good points of your collection!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:06 am 

After Mark confirmed the extra handling charge, I messaged the Seller through Ebay. Here is his response:

Greg Stafford  <[email protected]> to me
 More options   9:57 am (1 hour ago)

Dear Zhowar,

Thanks for your letter. I'm new to this, and I'm always interested to
learn how
to do it beter, or more corectly, or whatever.

> I've heard that you charge an unlisted handling fee after the auction
> ends. Is this true

Is it unlisted?
I essentialy had a "selling template" made by a friend. When I make a new
listing I see that there is a $4.00 handling fee included when I make the
entry. This is for the sturdy box, my time in packing and walking it to the
post office, etc.

But does it not appear when the entry is lised then?

Do you know how I can make it appear?

I note that when I invoice people there is a slot to enter, on the invoice, a
handling fee, and I enter it there. But if it's not visible before
that, then I
can see why it's "unlisted."

> and if so, how much are these fees?

$4.00. Do you feel this is unreasonable?

> Why don't you list them in the auction?

As noted aove, I thought it would be. Is there something I ought to be
checking
or listing somewhere else, or sometnhing

> Is it only if you want the item signed?

No, the autograph is part of the normal price.

========================
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

I won't have time to respond until later tonight. Feel free to post any advice I should give him here.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:15 pm 

zhowar you are a bloody legend!

This is exactly the point I am trying to make.   This is a far better approach then telling the seller to piss off.

Zhowar, now that you have opened up a dialog you may like to invite Greg to the forum.  After all aren't we trying to encourge more of the original creators to join this forum?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:20 pm 

I received a follow-up message (I haven't messaged him back yet)

Response from mrissaries
-------------------------------------------------------

mrissaries (31)
Positive Feedback:  100%
Registered On:  www.ebay.com

Item: SONS OF KARGZANT, Glorantha, HQ,RQ, Unspoken Word (8800935383)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
mrissaries is the seller.
-------------------------------------------------------
I believe I answered this via my other email,
I believe I've inadvertantly charged twice for handling charges sent via invoice. My mistake. I intend to pay overcharges back, and am doing some checking through right now.

--Greg

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:22 pm 

improvstone wrote:Zhowar, now that you have opened up a dialog you may like to invite Greg to the forum.  After all aren't we trying to encourge more of the original creators to join this forum?

I thought about pointing him to this thread, but I didn't want to make Mark uncomfortable since he decided to not push the point. I could point him to the forums in general - but there's no non-TSR non-D&D section here - is there a particular thread I could point him to? I'm not at all familiar with Runequest, etc.

Edit: I realized the Non-TSR section is just "Non-TSR" rather than "Non-TSR D&D" as I was erroneously thinking.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:26 pm 

Okay, I messaged him back with this:

Hello. Thank you for your quick response to my previous message. After your first mail I thought maybe this is what had happened. I'm glad that you figured it out.

By the way, in the future you may want to advertise your auctions at http://www.acaeum.com
It's a D&D collecting website but the members have diverse interests and there is a Collecting General - Non TSR section where your auctions have been advertised previously by Steve Marsh (posting as Ethesis):
about3652.html

The members would also welcome any posts by you, if you are so inclined.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:41 pm 

Hi there, I am hoping I could get a comment on this s&h price I got a while back: $21.25 for shipping to Norway when the postage on the envelope says $6.75. Smells a bit like highway robbery to me, but I am only an amateur... Can someone enlighten me here? Thanks in advance...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:49 pm 

Kingofwendar wrote:Hi there, I am hoping I could get a comment on this s&h price I got a while back: $21.25 for shipping to Norway when the postage on the envelope says $6.75. Smells a bit like highway robbery to me, but I am only an amateur... Can someone enlighten me here? Thanks in advance...

WOW!!!  8O  8O  8O

who was the seller?

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext