Postage Issue
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 am 

You don't know how good you have it.

One time someone in the U.S. sent me a mini to paint. In a box with bubble wrap etc. it cost the guy around 1.50 to send. When I was done I sent it back, same box, same stuffing and $7+ Canadian to ship back. Say what you will about the USPS I think its one of the U.S.' greatest institutions. Every cent of profit is put back in the company to make it run smoother and cheaper.

Suck up the $4 and be happy for such a great item or ask him if he has other cool stuff you can buy outright to make the shipping worth it.

As a Canadian I routinely get dinged for extra shipping charges whether its from the U.S. UK or even Canada.
$4 is borderline me getting ticked off but it looks like you got a really good deal.

CJ

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:23 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:     Yes....or rather, No:  There is no mention of a "handling fee" in the text of the auction or in the postage calculator.  It was attached entirely after the fact.

Mark   8)

So, the total postage is the shipping calculator fee, plus $4?

I would email him back and say, "I am confused...there is no mention of a "handling" fee in the auction. My high bid was based solely on the shipping calculator fees. I would have bid accordingly lower if I had known of the extra charge. Ebay sellers commonly list all fees up front so that buyers can adjust their bids accordingly."

Then wait and see what he says. At least this way, even if you do end up paying the fees because you want the item, he will know that he has caused you..."consternation".

Also, you could say something like, "However, I will gladly pay the extra $4 if you would be kind enough to autograph the item for me..."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:34 pm 

Icar, it's not the postage at issue, it is the handleme fee.
All The World's Monsters comes up pretty regularly. Personally I'd wait for another. It's up to you, but I tend to stick by my principles. If everyone said "Oh well, I really want it, so I don't mind if he fuks me", then pretty soon EVERYONE does it. And the seller learns no lesson if you pay for it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:58 pm 

For me the issue isn't the handling fee or the postage it's the fact that he got the charge after the auction ended. Its clearly an unfair charge but you have to pick your battles.

If you still feel like its a great deal even with the charge then take it. If you feel the $4 makes it a bad deal then argue. As long as I leave a purchase feeling good about it I'm okay.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. You may not see another in this condition for another 20 years. Is 20 years worth $4?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:47 pm 

He has 17 more auctions running.

Why doesn't everyone on the Acaeum ask him through Ebay about the handling fees? Something like, Question for Seller:

"I've heard that you charge unlisted handling fees after the auction ends. Is this true and if so, how much are these fees? Why don't you list them in the auction?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:16 pm 

zhowar wrote:He has 17 more auctions running.

Why doesn't everyone on the Acaeum ask him through Ebay about the handling fees? Something like, Question for Seller:

"I've heard that you charge unlisted handling fees after the auction ends. Is this true and if so, how much are these fees? Why don't you list them in the auction?"

sounds good to me. in the end $4 isnt really worth bothering with, but i think its the principle involved that someone just decides to do it, which i think is immensely unfair and i certainly would question it, unless i knew who it was.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:20 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:There is no mention of a "handling fee" in the text of the auction or in the postage calculator.  It was attached entirely after the fact.

So, for example, you're looking at something like $8.20 to ship to Washington, plus $4? 8O For an item that will easily fit snugly into a flat-rate envelope?

That's just way beyond the pale; I take back anything nice I said before. Again, I'm not trying to spoil your fun, but I'm with Frank — I'd tell him to take a flying f**k through a rolling doughnut. ATWM II is not incredibly rare; it will come up again.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:39 pm 

I actually had some snipes set up for his stuff. Gone now. I don't give a rat's ass WHO the seller is, I refuse to pay $4 for stuffing a freaking book in an envelope. DOn't want to hear whining about time, gas, blah blah blah. I do all that for free. I consider it a service to the buyer.
Tell him to screw off, man. I've seen at least 3 of those in the past few months. Another will come along.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:48 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I actually had some snipes set up for his stuff. Gone now. I don't give a rat's ass WHO the seller is, I refuse to pay $4 for stuffing a freaking book in an envelope. DOn't want to hear whining about time, gas, blah blah blah. I do all that for free. I consider it a service to the buyer.
Tell him to screw off, man. I've seen at least 3 of those in the past few months. Another will come along.

i think he bid for it cos it was a proper bound one or something? (MS will enlighten you no doubt).

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:16 pm 

If it is not in the listing, you are under no obligation to pay it. I know it is only $4, but it is pure padding. I have undercharged shipping way more times (overseas especially) and it sucks. But I have never asked anyone to pay more due to my miscalculation.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:19 pm 

Specifically, I have been looking for the perfect bound edition to match my other two.

I am not so much concerned about first edition as I am about a matching set.

In the past week, Titan and Killjoy have both had the stapled version up for sale.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:21 pm 

bbarsh wrote: I have undercharged shipping way more times (overseas especially) and it sucks. But I have never asked anyone to pay more due to my miscalculation.

Hmm, that sound very familiar. :oops:   You know, I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to accurately estimate shipping. You would think after all the selling that I have done I would be good at it, but it seems the only time I do get it rght is when its a flat rate envelope or box. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:39 pm 

I paid for the item.

In my estimation, $4 was not worth losing the item...which is more important to me than the price of a hamburger.

I wondered if any of you had encountered similar issues before.  I don't have issues with high shipping that is clearly stated.  But, it is not really kosher to add charges after the fact.  If this were a different item from a different seller, I would have raised a lot more fuss.

Ebay makes it clear that a decision to bid is a decision to enter into a contract.  A contract binds both sides.  I have gotten burned a couple of times, but I have always kept up my side.

Although it was not my intention....I believe that the posting of this issue here has already cost the seller more than the improper overcharge.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:51 pm 

Hold on a sec. If you calculate shipping on the present auctions, the $4 rape fee is pretty evident ($10 to ship Priority). Please don't tell me he added MORE?
A shame you paid for it. I had to wait till I got home to check, but the version I have is bound, and I'd have been happy to trade you for a stapled one so you'd have a complete set. My other 2 are bound as well, but I don't particularly care about a matching set. I looked thru mine once and socked it away.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:07 pm 

All three of mine are bound; I didn't realize they even came any other way.

+++++

I found the Air Shark, BTW (not that anyone cares but me). It's in ATWM II, it's a Dave Hargrave submission, and it is as goofy as remembered. It's a hydrogen-filled beastie, don't ya know ... :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:30 pm 

If you read the Ebay gauge policy it is pretty clear that if you don't ask what shipping & handling is going to be before you bid and it is not stated, you should pretty much bend over and prepare to take it hard.

It says that the winning bidder is obligated to pay the shipping & handling where "A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item."  If you ask Ebay about this I am sure that they will say $4 is not excessive.  But then again Ebay will usually side with the seller on this stuff anyway.  

I won a number of less than $1 items and the seller wanted to charge $2 handling per auction.  The handling then became more than I wanted to pay for the items so I said I will pay the winning bid prices and just toss the material in the garbage (so there would be no postage or handling).  Ebay sided with the seller that as the winning bidder I was responsible to pay the shipping & handling to have it sent to me.

If it isn't listed in the auction it is still perfectly fine for a seller to charge a handling fee.  This may cause them to get more negative feedbacks but by no means is it against Ebay policy.  In particular a number of sellers do not list it because people will not bid if they know how much they charge for handling.

We talked about this somewhere else already too when I won 3 of his auctions.  Frank stated his opposition to the handling fee at that point too.
I won 3 of his auctions and although the price quotes from the auction listing included this handling fee he never actually charged me for it.  In fact the shipping for the 3 auctions I won came to less than any of the single shipping quotes.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:35 pm 

Mars wrote:If you read the Ebay gauge policy it is pretty clear that if you don't ask what shipping & handling is going to be before you bid and it is not stated, you should pretty much bend over and prepare to take it hard.

If the shippings not state, you should always ask.  When I was new to Ebay I very carefully read everything and the transactions all went smoothly so I started to get lazy and not read.  I won a set of all four packs of Monster Cards for something like $7.50 from a seller in the US.  The guy wanted $50 to ship them by UPS to Canada (which means I'd have to pay UPS an additional $40 for import brokerage, plus taxes).  At the time I was mainly concerned with keeping my feedback good so I sent him the $7.50 and told him to keep the damn cards.

That still pisses me off.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:56 am 

unconnected to the original issue here with MS, but i wondered what y'all thought about this.

i just had a guy win 2 items off me. as mentioned in my auctions, i have combined the postage. one of his wins was a monster compendium thing for FR and he asked did i have one of the big binders for them to go in.

i replied saying THEY didnt have one but i did have another lying around doing nothing (was originally with MC2), so he could have it for free, so long as he was happy to pay for the additional postage (as you know they are not exactly light)....

you know what his reply was? "can't you just include it in with the postage for the other 2 items"  8O  8O  8O  8O

well i have just replied and told him that he was getting it for free anyway and that it isnt exactly light. in the end i just told him to forget it - i will re-invoice for the 2 items and then we are both happy with the issue

feckin muppet  :evil:

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext