What would you think of this listing?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:39 am 

Take a look at this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-2nd-Edition-Da ... dZViewItem

At first it seems correct, but look at the bottom lines, written in small font:

Search Words: ADnD DnD D&D Gary Gygax Adventure Wizards of the Coast TSR 2011 Demon Devil Dragon Magic the Gathering thief mage fighter cleric paladin wizard bard hero fantasy Advanced Dungeons and Dragons dungeon master dungeon masters Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules supplement MTG WOTC mana DMs Guide Dungeon Masters Guide DM Guide Dungeon Master's Guide DM's Guide Lord of the Rings LOTR vecna appendix two shrink-wrap box-set boxed-set boxedset

In fact, I found this listing while searching for something totally different. I was curious as to why it appeared and found those lines. Other (but not all) listings from the same seller contain the same lines.

Is this considered correct on eBay? Doing so displays items even if they are not related to the search. I really don't see why a person secrahing for Lord of the Rings should be presented with a Dark Sun module.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:52 am 

youre not meant to have things like that in your listing. ebay normally spot them anyway. it is done so your item is picked up on pretty much every search listing that you might possibly use, which is why its not allowed :)

frank (DL39) had many issues with something like this a while back.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:38 am 

guerret wrote:Take a look at this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-2nd-Edition-Da ... dZViewItem

At first it seems correct, but look at the bottom lines, written in small font:

Search Words: ADnD DnD D&D Gary Gygax Adventure Wizards of the Coast TSR 2011 Demon Devil Dragon Magic the Gathering thief mage fighter cleric paladin wizard bard hero fantasy Advanced Dungeons and Dragons dungeon master dungeon masters Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules supplement MTG WOTC mana DMs Guide Dungeon Masters Guide DM Guide Dungeon Master's Guide DM's Guide Lord of the Rings LOTR vecna appendix two shrink-wrap box-set boxed-set boxedset

In fact, I found this listing while searching for something totally different. I was curious as to why it appeared and found those lines. Other (but not all) listings from the same seller contain the same lines.

Is this considered correct on eBay? Doing so displays items even if they are not related to the search. I really don't see why a person secrahing for Lord of the Rings should be presented with a Dark Sun module.

It is Keyword abuse and against Ebay policy.  Report them and they should pull the listing....

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:42 pm 

It's listed under Keyword Spamming or Keyword Abuse, I believe.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:45 pm 

There's no room for doubt: it's a textbook example of keyword spamming and a direct violation of a very explicit eBay policy.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:09 pm 

There is a seller Silentthunder or something like that. I remember they had a short history of D&D in their auctions (others have as well) but no longer do. Did they have to pull them for the keyword issue?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:28 pm 

I think so, yes. To give eBay some credit, they are pretty consistent where this rule is concerned: in my experience, they will pull any listing that has obvious keyword spamming.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:35 pm 

Marlith wrote:There is a seller Silentthunder or something like that. I remember they had a short history of D&D in their auctions (others have as well) but no longer do. Did they have to pull them for the keyword issue?

thats frank isnt it?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:44 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Marlith wrote:There is a seller Silentthunder or something like that. I remember they had a short history of D&D in their auctions (others have as well) but no longer do. Did they have to pull them for the keyword issue?

thats frank isnt it?

Al

Not sure. I know beyondthebreach and bclarkie  as well as a few others because they are the same and rpg_auctions because he always outbids me. Other than that I am not sure I could tell the players even with a program  :lol:

Maybe we could create a sticked thread at the top where people who don't want to remain anon could post their eBay handles.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:48 am 

Actually, it does seem to be keyword spamming, but it doesn't seem to be so bad.

All of the words in the listing seem to have to do with the topic of this item.

Is there some rule against this practice when it involves words that are included in the genre for which the posting is intended?

A Lord of the Rings enthusiast would get this item in a search, but he could also easily edit out game listings by including "-AD&D" in his search.

It just doesn't seem like such a large offense.

But then, on the other hand, people who list miniatures in the general AD&D section should be required to[color=red] eat [/color]those miniatures.

Or, they should at least have to use the word "minature" in the listing title so I can edit it out.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:49 am 

Sorry...entered a duplicate post.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:11 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Sorry...entered a duplicate post.

Sure, sure ... we know you're scrambling to get into the 1,000 Club. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:13 am 

Actually...I noticed that I am closing in on 1000 posts.  50,000 + posts just goes to show how a small community can also be a passionate community.  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:29 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Actually...I noticed that I am closing in on 1000 posts.  50,000 + posts just goes to show how a small community can also be a passionate community.  :lol:

GO MS!!! only 35 to go....

plenty of LOLs in draco76 fashion should do the trick :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:41 am 

killjoy32 wrote:plenty of LOLs in draco76 fashion should do the trick :)

Speaking of which where are draco76 and Ralph T.  

Have I failed my save against confusion by changing names again?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:04 am 

improvstone wrote:

last time i spoke to corey, he was playing that world of warcraft thing, or whatever its called (he called it WoW, so i am assuming thats what it means).....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:34 pm 

improvstone wrote:

No as Alan said Corey, has been MIA for awhile now playing WoW, coming up on a year now I think.  Ralph has also gone MIA since about November and I don't have a clue where he has been. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:40 pm 

I thought Neverwinter Nights was bad, but WoW is just a time-sink. I never got sucked in all the way (must have made a saving throw or something), but I know some folks who have. One group, who all worked together, were calling in sick in planned rotations so they could always have two or three guys playing at once ... then the boss caught on. :)

Next