What did you think of the D&D movie?
Poll: What did you think of the D&D movie?

It sucked 27%       27%  [ 4 ]
Nah - it really sucked! 13%       13%  [ 2 ]
A pox on the people who made it +3 27%       27%  [ 4 ]
It was just too embarrassing 20%       20%  [ 3 ]
I thought there were some funny bits 7%       7%  [ 1 ]
No really - I actually quite liked it 7%       7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:51 am 

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:00 am 

I can not thonk of enough evil cruel horrible things to do to the Writers Cast or even the idiots who accepted roles in it. To post hear and express my dislike for it.

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)

Outdoor Photographer/Writer

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:48 am 

With all the great fantasy novels out there, one would think that they could have come up with a decent story.  I felt cheated.  I would have had more fun swimming around in the Exxon Valdez spill and then setting myself on fire.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:41 pm 

I went with my gaming group, and we were laughing our arses off the whole movie.  How can you not laugh at lines like:

"You know, you're pretty smart... for a mage."

I mean, come on... the dwarf who basically did nothing (they didn't even name him in the film), the ridiculous costumes (elven armor), the awful, awful, AWFUL dialogue:

Ridley: Yeah, must be the only way she can get guys to come home with her.

Marina: I'll have to put a feeble mind spell on myself to want to take you home.

Oh GOD, CLASSIC!  The fights were wretched, the props were unexplained and ridiculous (Snails bag of holding, those glowy lantern things they used near the end of the movie)... man, I want to watch it right now.

OH YEAH, and the terrible performances from people who can usually be expected to be good in a film.  Thora Birch made me want to pull out my eyes with her sad impersonation of Queen Amidala, and Jeremy Irons... what bet did he lose to be in this movie?  Whatever it was, it must have been accompanied by the addendum "Oh, and you have to be worse than you have been in any movie ever."

**sigh** I'm gonna go rent it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:48 pm 

It falls right along the lines of the Gor movies. Those were just as bad compared to the books. I think the combined budget for both films was $3.98. Hollywood produces 1 good film for every 50 offered to the public. But people still go see them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:09 am 

It made Istar look like Lawerance of Arabia.

And here's the rub; D&D has such a depth of incredible characters and stories! How could you not use existing material?

My idea for a D&D movie:

How about showing a scheming Orcus plotting to overthrow Demogorgon, and using an unwitting Paladin & Friends to further his plans. Can you imagine Lord of the Rings quality CGI effects showing the 9 planes of Hell and some of these incredible monsters from MMI and MMII?

• MichaelHughCigars
  • "Well, either it allows a magic-user to throw the various Bigby's hand spells, or it's a +2 backscratcher. So far, we're not sure which...."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:50 am 

What a sorry excuse for a movie. Everything about it just plain sucked. BTW has anyone seen Scourge of Worlds yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:44 am 

Scourge of Worlds?! :?  Tell me more...who, what, when.....what era?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:38 pm 

SOW is a DVD that just recently came out. It is a which-way type of adventure/movie that is computer generated. It takes place in Greyhawk. I rented it so I do not have a copy, although I do have several promo versions of it that will give you a few choices. It is worth checking out.