Question about PDFs from RPGNow
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:54 am 

I was refered to RPGNow website and noticed they have copies of serveral modules I would like to read.

Namely:
R4 Doc's Island
RPGA3 Forgotten King
RPGA4 Elixir of Life
R1 To the Aid of Falx
R3 Egg of the Phoenix

It appears to me that they are a legitimate business.  

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.  Are the PDFs good?  I still plan to eventually try to get my own copies of these, but I have a lot of other items I expect to get first.

Thanks

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:14 am 

Disjected wrote:I was refered to RPGNow website and noticed they have copies of serveral modules I would like to read.

Namely:
R4 Doc's Island
RPGA3 Forgotten King
RPGA4 Elixir of Life
R1 To the Aid of Falx
R3 Egg of the Phoenix

It appears to me that they are a legitimate business.  

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.  Are the PDFs good?  I still plan to eventually try to get my own copies of these, but I have a lot of other items I expect to get first.

Thanks

from what i hear (i havent seen any first hand), some things are pretty good and some are absolutel sh*te. ian (mbassoc / rpgauctions), will tell you more as he is the guy who knows much more about PDFs.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:08 pm 

I have the R1, R3 and R4 from RPGnow and they are all decent scans (and definitely are legal). IIRC, all the pages are present and the same size and scan quality. I previously bought the WoG folio from SVgames and it was terrible. The R ones are much better and definitely fine for reading the mods. I haven't tried printing them so I don't know about that.

They are definitely a bargain compared to buying the actual modules...
RPGnow sells the pdfs for $5 without a watermark (or its very small). From what I've read, Paizo pdfs are $4 but there's a huge watermark on every page.

DrivethruRPG.com has legal pdfs of Judges Guild...I have the Gamescience Tegel Manor and Book of Treasure Maps I and both are nice and I think were $2 each.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:25 pm 

If you want to read them for aesthetic reasons, it's worth it. For playability, go get I12.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:36 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:If you want to read them for aesthetic reasons, it's worth it. For playability, go get I12.

yeah you just beat me to that, thats what i was gonna suggest.

nothing beats the real thing too imo.

I12 is actually one of the best mods out there imo - also one of the hardest.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:16 pm 

RPGnow is defeinitely on the up-and-up; everything is legal, they have an actual customer service department, etc. The scans are generally of good quality, but there are some exceptions — read the individual customer reviews for some warnings.

Paizo's wartermarking is entirely too intrusive. I threw away the one PDF I purchased from them, and I honestly can't see their rationale for defacing their products in such a manner. I'm sure they get a lot of traffic from people trying to "save a buck," but their PDFs are useless to me.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:07 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:RPGnow is defeinitely on the up-and-up; everything is legal, they have an actual customer service department, etc. The scans are generally of good quality, but there are some exceptions — read the individual customer reviews for some warnings.

Paizo's wartermarking is entirely too intrusive. I threw away the one PDF I purchased from them, and I honestly can't see their rationale for defacing their products in such a manner. I'm sure they get a lot of traffic from people trying to "save a buck," but their PDFs are useless to me.

i wouldnt get them anyway, but yes, i agree. its totally pointless to deface them in such a way, which makes you then wonder....why the hell anyone would buy anything from them if you know what you are going to get in the end  :?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:58 pm 

PRGNow and Paizo.com are both legitimate ESD distributors. I have R1, R2, R4, RPGA1 and RPGA2, and maybe a dozen others.

Trust me, the quality of the PDFs is really bad. You can print and play with them, but that's it. If people here are saying the PDFs are good quality, thet's because they've never seen good quality PDFs to compare them to. They are shit!

My advice is to buy them if you want a quick fix or something cheap and different to play, but don't be disappointed if you don't like what you get. You won't be getting your money back.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:00 pm 

Here's the rub: The only PDF's that would be economically feasible to buy instead of the original would be things like the R's, RPGA's, ST1, etc. And since almost all of the "special" or "rare" modules suck ass to use in gaming, I don't see the purpose.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:00 am 

I have bought PDF's on DriveThruRPG and I would do it again.

If there is a product you want to use, instead of just own, then it is a good way to go.  It can also be an economic way to keep from messing up your keeper copy of a module by crushing it on a scanner or photocopier.

I bought Dark Tower there...and that is what caused me to degenerate into the internet spawn template known as "active collector."

There are also out-of-print items on DriveThruRPG that are not practical or economic to collect...but which you might like to read.

Modules, however, are like women.  There's nothing like the real thing.  I found reading the Judges Guild PDF's so sad that I had to go looking for them on Ebay.  The rest is collector deviant history.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:20 am 

Mbassoc: Well now we wouldn't really want the RPGnow pdfs to be too good, right? It would make for easier forgeries.

R1, R3 and R4 are fine for reading, and they at least have all the pages (I think...) and are in the right order, etc. That's good enough for me for $5.

Think of it this way: because of those pdfs, I'll never consider buying an R1, R3 or R4, thus making it cheaper for you (or anyone else) to buy another copy.

Disjected: Basically, I'd recommend buying one pdf of R1. If you think the quality is okay, buy some more. If not, save your pennies for the real deal. You can get 40 pdfs or one R1 (Guessing at least $200...but actually I have no idea what they normally sell for).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:23 am 

Seems like forgers would use originals....but I guess that .pdf files would help them, wouldn't they.

The .pdf files I have bought have sometimes proven disappointing in the same way that modules sometimes prove disappointing...I was buying them for the game content and that is what disappointed me.

One wonders where the equation  maps+monsters+art+storyline went.  Seems evey module I acquire nowadays begins..."This module is set in Ohmygodthissuckwhyarewehere and will not work unless you are a fairly robotic purchaser of our products."

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:13 am 

zhowar wrote:Mbassoc: Well now we wouldn't really want the RPGnow pdfs to be too good, right? It would make for easier forgeries.

Forging from a PDF file would be futile. You could never get a real printed copy. You could only get something that looked like a laser colour copy. PDF files do not store data in CYMK format, and they are effectively 'scanned' using the same technology as photocopiers, so the contain the same data flaws as photocopied material and it's built into the file. I have never seen a good PDF file from any of the onlise ESD distributors. I have seen a few that I would consider acceptable, but none that I'd be happy to say 'my company made that'.

zhowar wrote:R1, R3 and R4 are fine for reading, and they at least have all the pages (I think...) and are in the right order, etc. That's good enough for me for $5.

If they save you shelling out $500 for a full set, then fair enough. As a PDF producer, it annoys me when they get the secretary to do it between calls. It doesn't take too many braincells to make a decent PDF file.

zhowar wrote:Think of it this way: because of those pdfs, I'll never consider buying an R1, R3 or R4, thus making it cheaper for you (or anyone else) to buy another copy.

I doubt that PDF distribution has any tangible effect on eBay prices. If anything, knowledge and awareness increase competition and push up prices. I've not seen any product reduce in value as a result of PDFs being available.

zhowar wrote:Disjected: Basically, I'd recommend buying one pdf of R1. If you think the quality is okay, buy some more. If not, save your pennies for the real deal. You can get 40 pdfs or one R1 (Guessing at least $200...but actually I have no idea what they normally sell for).

Yep. You're right there.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:30 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I doubt that PDF distribution has any tangible effect on eBay prices. If anything, knowledge and awareness increase competition and push up prices. I've not seen any product reduce in value as a result of PDFs being available.

Dragon magazines, esp. #30 up, are the most obvious example of a substantial reduction in 'value' following .pdf release. This has been stated before, repeatedly. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:21 am 

faro wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I doubt that PDF distribution has any tangible effect on eBay prices. If anything, knowledge and awareness increase competition and push up prices. I've not seen any product reduce in value as a result of PDFs being available.

Dragon magazines, esp. #30 up, are the most obvious example of a substantial reduction in 'value' following .pdf release. This has been stated before, repeatedly. :)

I cannot talk wisely about Dragon Magazine values. I'm curious as to why Judges Guild items haven't been affected? I can understand there being no credible impact on the modules with the fold out maps. But what about Thracia and Dark Tower? Those were the first things I bought in PDF. I would have thought preple would have paid $2 as opposed to $30 seing as they have the choice.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:01 pm 

faro wrote:

Do you mean the CD compendiums that TSR produced?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:23 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Do you mean the CD compendiums that TSR produced?

Yes.

Strangely enough though, Paizo gave away free copies of Dungeon 1 in PDF form and it didn't have an impact on the price of hardcopies on eBay.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:52 pm 

Where can I find that .pdf?  Is it still available?

Mark   8)

Next