Strange how things go full circle...
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:20 am 
 

I was doing some web research on a small item I have, a little booket called "The Adventurer's Guild Tome" which is basically just a bunch of names for fantasy characters and pictures of medieval weapons and armor.  Didn't know the history behind it, didn't know if it had any value...

Anyway the one hit through Google that I get is that one went for $54 on eBay recently.  I clicked on the link to see if the seller had posted any info about the item and who do I see has bid for it?  Three bids from grodog and a winning bid from mbassoc.  :)

Funny how it works out some time!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:51 am 
 

DungeonDelver wrote:I was doing some web research on a small item I have, a little booket called "The Adventurer's Guild Tome" which is basically just a bunch of names for fantasy characters and pictures of medieval weapons and armor.  Didn't know the history behind it, didn't know if it had any value...

Anyway the one hit through Google that I get is that one went for $54 on eBay recently.  I clicked on the link to see if the seller had posted any info about the item and who do I see has bid for it?  Three bids from grodog and a winning bid from mbassoc.  :)

Funny how it works out some time!


why was that funny? :)



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:05 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:I was doing some web research on a small item I have, a little booket called "The Adventurer's Guild Tome" which is basically just a bunch of names for fantasy characters and pictures of medieval weapons and armor.  Didn't know the history behind it, didn't know if it had any value...

Anyway the one hit through Google that I get is that one went for $54 on eBay recently.  I clicked on the link to see if the seller had posted any info about the item and who do I see has bid for it?  Three bids from grodog and a winning bid from mbassoc.  :)

Funny how it works out some time!


why was that funny? :)


Funny odd, not funny ha ha.  Not funny like someone trying to sell a s/w copy of WG11 Puppets for nearly $30 funny.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:15 am 
 

:)

just didnt know what you meant thats all.

was it cos you got it real cheap and the other one went for $54?

ian will prb scan the item for himself and resell it anyway....

Al



  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5622
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 20, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 pm 
 

Interesting, Bill :D  What was the auction link?  I don't recall bidding on one of those recently....


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5626
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:27 pm 
 

That sounds familiar. I think I may have set up a snipe for it, but the price went too high.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:32 pm 
 

Shit, you guys are asking me all the hard questions...okay let me see here...



The booklet is ostentiably by "The Adventurer's Guild", it's odd sized; smaller than a module, bigger than one of the OD&D booklets, 28 pages long, done on "parchment" style.  10pt pica type, some illustrations in the book beyond the ones provided for armor and weapons.  Very coy system for deciding if someone has the strength to use certain weapons: the author based it on a strength system of "1-20, grouping around 3-18" (very coy, son).



Anyway, Brett A Dougherty is the author...let me see if I can find that auction again...



HERE is the auction...you know how these things don't persist on ebay so read it while you can.



EDIT: my bad, wasn't mbassoc that won the auction, either.  Sorry 'bout that.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:37 pm 
 

pretty cool looking item there.

Al



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:59 pm 
 

Honestly?  It's junk.  I'd have thrown it away but for the list of fantasy names.  I'm always stuck trying to think of a fantasy name, and one of my (now former) players always tried to be "cute" and give his characters names like "Lord Hairybottom" and "Sir Rapesalot" and so on.

His challenge to me was "Well if you can't come up with a name then this is the one I'll keep!"

Asshole.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:20 pm 
 

DungeonDelver wrote:Honestly?  It's junk.  I'd have thrown it away but for the list of fantasy names.  I'm always stuck trying to think of a fantasy name, and one of my (now former) players always tried to be "cute" and give his characters names like "Lord Hairybottom" and "Sir Rapesalot" and so on.

His challenge to me was "Well if you can't come up with a name then this is the one I'll keep!"

Asshole.

The more I hear things like this, the more I'm of the opinion the DM should create and hand out the characters.   It sounds cruel, but it solves so many issues.  :wink:

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6246
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:46 pm 
 

DungeonDelver wrote:Shit, you guys are asking me all the hard questions...okay let me see here...

The booklet is ostentiably by "The Adventurer's Guild", it's odd sized; smaller than a module, bigger than one of the OD&D booklets, 28 pages long, done on "parchment" style.  10pt pica type, some illustrations in the book beyond the ones provided for armor and weapons.  Very coy system for deciding if someone has the strength to use certain weapons: the author based it on a strength system of "1-20, grouping around 3-18" (very coy, son).

Anyway, Brett A Dougherty is the author...let me see if I can find that auction again...

HERE is the auction...you know how these things don't persist on ebay so read it while you can.

EDIT: my bad, wasn't mbassoc that won the auction, either.  Sorry 'bout that.




I was pretty pissed at losing that one, IIRC. Mars made a good haul there.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:16 pm 
 

That was an expensive week but they were some decent books.  Besides Ian got some decent stuff recently too.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6246
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:00 pm 
 

Mars wrote:That was an expensive week but they were some decent books.  Besides Ian got some decent stuff recently too.

I'll have to remember to ask you for some info on those, M. Don't pack them away just yet. :D


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:29 pm 
 

Part of going through my shelves has given me the plan to organize things here a bit better too so a lot of stuff is all over the apartment in stacks until I can get back to them :)

I just bought 100 6X9 ziplock for the little books - I didn't think I had that many.  But after the Dragon Tree Press and the TSR books and some zines and ...  I need about 10 more.  Those little guys sure do add up.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:29 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:Honestly?  It's junk.  I'd have thrown it away but for the list of fantasy names.  I'm always stuck trying to think of a fantasy name, and one of my (now former) players always tried to be "cute" and give his characters names like "Lord Hairybottom" and "Sir Rapesalot" and so on.

His challenge to me was "Well if you can't come up with a name then this is the one I'll keep!"

Asshole.

The more I hear things like this, the more I'm of the opinion the DM should create and hand out the characters.   It sounds cruel, but it solves so many issues.  :wink:


It's what I do at convention games.  Even the most experienced players drag their feet when making characters and god help me if I've got any newbies.  Nope.  It's "Okay, fighter, fighter, fighter, magic-user, cleric, theif who wants what?"

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5626
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:01 pm 
 

Well, the thing about newbies is that it kind of kills the experience if you just hand them a character sheet. I probably never would have gotten hooked if someone had handed me a character.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 357
Joined: Feb 21, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 08, 2014
Location: Donaghadee

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:46 pm 
 

Och well you never know they might just be a wee Richard Feynman in the making .. god bless there little newbie socks

  


Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 357
Joined: Feb 21, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 08, 2014
Location: Donaghadee

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:48 pm 
 

wot wot ??????? there in stead of THEIR "bugrer" me that's not cricket

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1881
Joined: Mar 26, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:24 pm 
 

correcting grammar, spelling and punctuation on this forum?!
Surely such niceties are niether hear nor, their :lol:


You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:34 pm 
 

obiter wrote:wot wot ??????? there in stead of THEIR "bugrer" me that's not cricket


So can this be translated! :?


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2