What is your favorite D&D world, etc.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:11 am 

Here are some questions...

1. What is your favorite D&D campaign world?

1a. what about it makes it your favorite?

2. which campaign world do you dislike the most and if there is anything specific?

Rank the following D&D worlds from high to low:

Dark Sun

Dragonlance

Forgotten Realms (you could even make Kara Tur a seperate world if you wish)

Greyhawk

Hollow World

Mystara

Planescape

Ravenloft

any world I may have missed

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:25 am 

I'd have to say Forgotten Realms and Planescape are my favs...  they tend to be the most epic, and usually the most well written.  Dark Sun had some very great concepts, but I never managed to find a group to play with.  Always felt Dragonlance was a great novel world, but the game products were sorely lacking in quality.  Mystara was a horrible mishmash of a make-it-up-as-we-go-along world, and it showed.  And believe it or not, I'm not really a huge Greyhawk fan (sorry Grodog)...  alot of the stuff was too inconsistent (esp. in 2e), and it has NO 3e support, other than Living Greyhawk, and to this day I'm totally confused as to WHY WotC insists on using it as the standard 3e world.  I like the flavor of the old generic stuff though.  Ravenloft too had some interesting concepts, but I've YET to find somebody that could DM it with the correct atmosphere.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:36 am 

I'm not really a huge Greyhawk fan (sorry Grodog)... alot of the stuff was too inconsistent (esp. in 2e)

...faints...what is 2E?

:D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:59 am 

In the 90s I've been DMing a Dark Sun campaign for two years or so... great stuff! Also the novels were high quality. I like the Spelljammer concept, it's just too weird. I'm planning to introduce it to my current campaign (hopefully none of my players ever read this). The bad thing about playing & collecting is that you have to get doubles for all of the playing materials  :?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:58 am 

PurpleDragon wrote:any world I may have missed

Spelljammer (well connects em all but...)

Al-Quadim+ Maztica is set in FR could be counted along with Kara-Tur

Birthright

Conan (the boxed set version + 3 modules)

Lankhmar

Red Steel

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:58 am 

Well Faorite is Greyhawk, I simply like the way it felt there was enough to it to keep you interested yet vague enough to allow you to actually do whatever you wnated with it and make the changes.

The changes each person I knew made to their own Campaign pretty much allowed there changes to fit into my world also. I also went and made a world map of the west unmapped portion of greyhawk, and then fleshed it out in detail the way greyhawk was done. Downfall no one was into playing much by the time I did this, so it has sat in dust for about 13 years with nothing ever done with it.

As far as second favorite I will accept Forgotten Realms, it has a nice feel to it I just never really liked this too much. The rest lets say I Hate them ,and well I have found no one else really likes them either as far as to purchase them so I have even given up stocking or purchasing the items.

With exception to planescape it does sell as has been pointed out to me, I just will not take chances as I do not know enough about it to be a credible seller of the items.

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)

Outdoor Photographer/Writer

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:28 am 

Cernunnos wrote:And believe it or not, I'm not really a huge Greyhawk fan (sorry Grodog)...  alot of the stuff was too inconsistent (esp. in 2e), and it has NO 3e support, other than Living Greyhawk, and to this day I'm totally confused as to WHY WotC insists on using it as the standard 3e world.  I like the flavor of the old generic stuff though.

No skin off my nose Cernunnos and I agree completely about the unevenness of the 2e GH materials:  they're one of the other reasons that I quit D&D (2e being the primary motivator).  

Greyhawk, old FR (pre-box set in Dragon articles through the 1e box set or so) and my own campaign settings remain my favorites.  I like the 3e FR books, too, though I wish WotC lavished that much attention on GH....

I've always really wanted to pull off a really well-done planar setting, but just haven't yet.  That would be my favorite, if it ever happened.  That said, though, I'd be looking for much more Moorcock, Farmer's World of Tiers, Zelany's Amber, and "The Primal Order" series of books for the feeling of my planes than Planescape (which was another big 2e turnoff for me).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:32 am 

[hijack]

NDH wrote:I also went and made a world map of the west unmapped portion of greyhawk, and then fleshed it out in detail the way greyhawk was done. Downfall no one was into playing much by the time I did this, so it has sat in dust for about 13 years with nothing ever done with it.

Hey NDH, your 13-year-old project is quite topical!  There's been a lot of discussion on Greytalk and Canonfire! about the western portions of Oerik, off of the old Darlene maps.  Give some thought to submitting an article to CF! or to the Oerth Journal! :D

[/hijack]

I also thought that the Spelljammer concept was pretty good (Roger Dean and Rodney Matthews works fit well as inspirations), but I never really did much with it.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:54 am 

Greyhawk is my favorite setting. Most of my gaming has taken place on Oerth, with the exception of some Ravenloft. Greyhawk rules!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:02 am 

Well I'll be a dissenter and say I liked DragonLance.

Had some great fun playing and DMing the modules.

Never actually got through them tho...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:23 pm 

Greyhawk and early Realms are both good.

Greyhawk is perhaps the most balanced (and nostalgic from all the classic mods). The Realms is more detailed but suffers too much from Mage (and magic) overkill.  

D&D known world looks good though I never played it.

Ravenloft just never seemed to work for me...AD&D works on the fact that a party can overcome any monster..so the horror is lost...woo spooky wraiths..lightning bolt! fireball!. Call of Cthulu is much better for Gothic horror as meeting even the lesser supernatural creatures is real bad because you are only human.

Planescape looks good..only ever played the Computer game (Torment) but it was real good.

Dragonlance was ok but lets face it no-one ever really got past DL2 did they? :-)

Worst of the worst is definately Spelljammer. Absolute dross. With the planes linking all the worlds why was spelljammer needed?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:07 pm 

Greyhawk.  I stopped actively playing before FR stuff came out.

I buy some of the new stuff, always the new rulebooks.  I buy any FR stuff that has to do with the Underdark and the Drow (that were stolen from GH).