Most unusual item in your collection.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:48 pm 

Not sure if it's valid or even real, but I found several items in a recent lot I'd purchased that look to contain E. Gary's signature.

The one that I laughed at out loud the most - and made me believe these are actually genuine - was the signature line on an old, beat up mono copy of White Plume Mountain.

"Gary Gygax -
who hired Lawrence
because of the Mrs. for this!"

I'm hanging on to that one just as a good laugh...and hoping that it's the real deal. It also qualifies as the oddest item in my collection...

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:32 pm 

Sorry, I'm not getting it.  Could that be "MSS [i.e. manuscript]"?

If Mrs. Schick was Gary's reason for hiring Larry, I think we need to see a picture of Mrs Schick.

:wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:00 pm 

silver_beetle wrote:[I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I have several TSR character sheets that have been used by the previous owner. They're actually kind of interesting, seeing other people's characters.

I love that stuff. My DM Log has entire gaming groups recorded for posterity. A RuneQuest rulebook has most of the sheets filled, outlining the dude's entire RQ career like a parallel folk-art Rurik. Recently I obtained a Greyhawk Folio with an enormous homemade multicolored hexmap.

Best of all are the contents of the TSR hex book. I had mapped out the trails of the woods behind the house where I lived in high school. If I had kept these maps anywhere else I would have surely tossed them by now, but because they're inscribed on a collectible I still have them.

They woods in question were great woods, with ruined farmhouses, stolen/stripped/abandoned cars, a huge beehive, & networks of deeply-cut bayous with dungeonesque storm drains. The maps I drew look indistinguishable from D&D campaign settings.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:55 am 

its not the $ you have but the level of obsession that make you a collector.

Not a matter of obsession, seeing as I am the one who wrote the manuscripts in the first place.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:20 pm 

My most unusual item is the original final artwork of Theleb K'aarna (found in the first edition  Dieties & Demigods) by Erol Otus, I won it in an auction at a Con held in Denver back in the mid 90's.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:49 pm 

- My most unusual item is the original final artwork of Theleb K'aarna (found in the first edition  Dieties & Demigods) by Erol Otus, I won it in an auction at a Con held in Denver back in the mid 90's.[/quote]
sweet :D :D + good to know still exists

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:56 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- My most unusual item is the original final artwork of Theleb K'aarna (found in the first edition  Dieties & Demigods) by Erol Otus, I won it in an auction at a Con held in Denver back in the mid 90's.

sweet :D :D + good to know still exists[/quote]

Is there an artwork thread somewhere which shows the original artwork Acaeumers have been able to collect?

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:03 pm 

- Is there an artwork thread somewhere which shows the original artwork Acaeumers have been able to collect?[/quote]
none official?? thought mainsite had start of section for who has what but cannot see now

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:13 pm 

Its still here, under the Library section:

Museum

Fould cleaned it up a bit and its now listed as "The Artwork Museum" under the community section(3rd one down).  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:38 pm 

The most interesting and unusual item in my collection is....Dave Arneson.

I got him for, like, $80 last year from Titan Games.

I'm hoping to collect James Ward or possibly Lawrence Schick to set beside him.   :D

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:45 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Its still here, under the Library section:

Museum

Fould cleaned it up a bit and its now listed as "The Artwork Museum" under the community section(3rd one down).  :)

Thanks BC.  It definitely needs some work.

The Larry Elmore artwork (basic rules etc.. ) is still owned by Larry AFAIK.

He wasn't budging the last time I asked him .....

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Previous