Most unusual item in your collection.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:21 pm 

Hey Adam, that is a very cool buckle. However, are you for sure that is a Tsr Belt Buckle? I mean perhaps just because it had a dragon the guy assumed it was Tsr, etc. If it has Tsr copyright on it, then I would be wrong.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:12 pm 

The auction description specifically mentions licensing....and short lived too! The Easley Dragon is obvious too.  Neat item. :D

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:41 pm 

I think one of my most unusual items is a set of old TSR one page adds from around 1975 or 1976.  They came with a collection of Strategic Review and Dragon magazines I bought.  There are adds for      * Ancient Conquest     * Don't Give Up The Ship     * The Dragon Magazine     * The Dungeon Hobby Shop     * Eldritch Wizardry     * Fantasy Games Unlimited Inc Games     * Fight in the Skies     * Little Wars Magazine  The add for The Dragon, says that it will be coming out.  Attached to the adds was a note from TSR that Strategic Review will no longer be available and the cheque that was sent for a further subscription has been returned and that hopefully the customer will buy The Dragon.  I have some pictures of these adds on my website at   WLU CP102   at the bottom of the page for anyone who is interested.  Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:51 pm 

I was browsing through older posts that might benefit from a rebirth. This is one.

The Acaeum has been around long enough to merit "retro posts," right???

My most unusual item: First print Players Handbook (maybe not unusual, but in great shape and found at a great deal buried in a lot!) :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:48 am 

Hi

UK glass tankard from anniversary 2 years ago.

Cheers,
malc

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:28 am 

Definitely the Hold of Nar notes.   :D

Really cool and unusual stuff.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:49 am 

Mkman wrote:Hey Adam, that is a very cool buckle. However, are you for sure that is a Tsr Belt Buckle?

The item has been removed from ebay so I can't look at it, but there was once a photo sent in to the letters page of Knight of the Dinner Table, showing a large western buckle with the lizardman logo.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 am 

A tossup between the original Bottle City map and the TSR Pewter Chess Set.

I have been meaning to buy a really nice chess board so I can put the pieces out.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:11 am 

Unlike a real collector, all I can say I have are some original manuscripts for stuff that was later printed.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:18 am 

serleran wrote:Unlike a real collector, all I can say I have are some original manuscripts for stuff that was later printed.

By that definition you are a real collector ..... its not the $ you have but the level of obsession that make you a collector.  8)

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:56 pm 

My oddest: the actual proof used by the printers to print the covers for the re-release of the Ogre and G.E.V. games by Steve Jackson Games.

SJG used to do their auctions themselves; you'd just email in your bids. But, not long after I won this item, they began putting everything on eBay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:31 pm 

[I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I have several TSR character sheets that have been used by the previous owner. They're actually kind of interesting, seeing other people's characters.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:48 pm 

Not sure if it's valid or even real, but I found several items in a recent lot I'd purchased that look to contain E. Gary's signature.

The one that I laughed at out loud the most - and made me believe these are actually genuine - was the signature line on an old, beat up mono copy of White Plume Mountain.

"Gary Gygax -
who hired Lawrence
because of the Mrs. for this!"

I'm hanging on to that one just as a good laugh...and hoping that it's the real deal. It also qualifies as the oddest item in my collection...

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:32 pm 

Sorry, I'm not getting it.  Could that be "MSS [i.e. manuscript]"?

If Mrs. Schick was Gary's reason for hiring Larry, I think we need to see a picture of Mrs Schick.

:wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:00 pm 

silver_beetle wrote:[I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I have several TSR character sheets that have been used by the previous owner. They're actually kind of interesting, seeing other people's characters.

I love that stuff. My DM Log has entire gaming groups recorded for posterity. A RuneQuest rulebook has most of the sheets filled, outlining the dude's entire RQ career like a parallel folk-art Rurik. Recently I obtained a Greyhawk Folio with an enormous homemade multicolored hexmap.

Best of all are the contents of the TSR hex book. I had mapped out the trails of the woods behind the house where I lived in high school. If I had kept these maps anywhere else I would have surely tossed them by now, but because they're inscribed on a collectible I still have them.

They woods in question were great woods, with ruined farmhouses, stolen/stripped/abandoned cars, a huge beehive, & networks of deeply-cut bayous with dungeonesque storm drains. The maps I drew look indistinguishable from D&D campaign settings.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:55 am 

its not the $ you have but the level of obsession that make you a collector.

Not a matter of obsession, seeing as I am the one who wrote the manuscripts in the first place.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:20 pm 

My most unusual item is the original final artwork of Theleb K'aarna (found in the first edition  Dieties & Demigods) by Erol Otus, I won it in an auction at a Con held in Denver back in the mid 90's.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:49 pm 

- My most unusual item is the original final artwork of Theleb K'aarna (found in the first edition  Dieties & Demigods) by Erol Otus, I won it in an auction at a Con held in Denver back in the mid 90's.[/quote]
sweet :D :D + good to know still exists

PreviousNext