Mazes & Monsters
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:16 am 

Wife and I watched it last night - quite amusing to see Tom Hanks being both young and saying "I have a sword, but I only use it when my magic fails me."

Weird cameo of the World Trade Center in the last 20 minutes of the movie, though - was kinda eerie.

WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:22 pm 

Read the book. It is, once again, a very different story.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:23 pm 

Howdy,

Zippanthropus wrote:Read the book. It is, once again, a very different story.

Hey Zippanthropus, what is your avatar? Map of...? (Sorry I've gotten bored with boxing up the RJK auction.)

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:00 am 

Whatever it is, it's much less offensive than Beermotor's image of sexual harrassment in the workplace!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 am 

otherworld wrote:Whatever it is, it's much less offensive than Beermotor's image of sexual harrassment in the workplace!

That is a much loved avatar. Its back by popular demand.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:44 am 

That is a much loved avatar. Its back by popular demand.

Doesn't mean it's not offensive!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:32 pm 

otherworld wrote:Doesn't mean it's not offensive!

No. But then so many things in life are offensive. That's what make's it fun. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:43 pm 

That's what make's it fun.

Victims of sexual harrassment may not share your sense of 'fun'.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:44 pm 

Few things, however, are as offensive as overused exclamation points and misplaced apostrophes.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:37 pm 

Hey, I was groped by a one-eyed albino monkey when I was younger. You don't see me complaining about white apes.
Anyways, this is far off-topic and belongs in the Off-Topic category. Or on another site.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:47 pm 

The only thing I find offensive is that the man looks strikingly like Stephen Harper, Canada's current Prime Minister.  8O

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:48 pm 

otherworld wrote:

Not to downplay how the picture might have offended you . . . but, to me, it never seemed about "sexual harassment".  I always pictured it as a guy and his girlfriend/wife and him groping her as a little "joke".  In turn she is "mock" offended and says something like "stop being a jerk".

Anyway . . . different perceptions and all that . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:59 pm 

otherworld wrote:Victims of sexual harrassment may not share your sense of 'fun'.

Life is full of too many 'victims' too!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:01 pm 

bombadil wrote:Few things, however, are as offensive as overused exclamation points and misplaced apostrophes.

:oops:  Oops! I see that now.  :oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:06 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Hey, I was groped by a one-eyed albino monkey when I was younger. You don't see me complaining about white apes.
Anyways, this is far off-topic and belongs in the Off-Topic category. Or on another site.

Talking of monkeys, there is a discussion going on in the media here about extending 'human rights' to monkeys on the grounds that they share 95% of our DNA. The arguement goes; they share 95% of our DNA therefore they should be entitled to 95% human rights.  :lol:  Presumably we should also extend 80% human rights to bananas?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:35 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:Hey, I was groped by a one-eyed albino monkey when I was younger. You don't see me complaining about white apes.

Talking of monkeys, there is a discussion going on in the media here about extending 'human rights' to monkeys on the grounds that they share 95% of our DNA. The arguement goes; they share 95% of our DNA therefore they should be entitled to 95% human rights.  :lol:  Presumably we should also extend 80% human rights to bananas?

That's deceivingly disproportioniate, it should be based some sort of logarithm function of the non-human DNA %.  Logarithms are confusing for the masses, so if we want to deny rights, we can just mumble about logarithms ...   :twisted:

On a more sombre note, I think we need to focus on giving those that share 100% of our DNA human rights, before we think of the monkeys.  I'm going to try to avoid a flame war by not providing a specific example, I'm sure we can all think of our own.  

Don't get me wrong, I love animals.  Most are more deserving of rights than a lot of humans I've met...

[edit]
...the rest are monsters, and should be kept in mazes.  Whew, back on topic.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:08 pm 

otherworld wrote:

Oh god, you gotta be kidding me.

And I thought the US was getting bad - better cross the UK off my list of where to go when Dubya starts WWIII...

WWW ICQ  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:10 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Not to downplay how the picture might have offended you . . . but, to me, it never seemed about "sexual harassment".  I always pictured it as a guy and his girlfriend/wife and him groping her as a little "joke".  In turn she is "mock" offended and says something like "stop being a jerk".

Anyway . . . different perceptions and all that . . .

It actually came from an online Sexual Harassment Awareness training thingy I had to do for work once.  I just thought it was hilarious as a picture of "OK, here's what NOT to do..."  As if someone had actually asked the question once, hey, is it ok if I just grab a nice big hunk of her butt?

WWW ICQ  
Next