Thoughts on this idea? Collecting scans of maps in modules
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:42 pm 

I'm not even sure if it's legal, so holler at me if it isn't. But how many of us have a dozen modules sitting around that are missing maps or handouts, making them hard, if not impossible, to play?

Would folks be interested in collecting a set of scans for maps and handouts of the letter series of modules? It could obviously be expanded to other series as well. I know I've picked up a ton of modules and accessories missing pieces over the years.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:55 pm 

It would probably be illegal to share the information, even under 'fair use' if you were only swapping maps. But I think that would be very hard to prove or prosecute.

It would deffinately be illegal to archive them online, because that is publishing and that is illegal, plain and simple.

If you had a list of the maps you scanned and you e-mailed a friend and said 'I have X2 but I don't have the cover, do you have a scan of the maps?', and he said 'Yes I've got X2, I don't have the pull out map in whatever.', then I don't see it does anyone any harm provided it was dealt with discretely.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:27 pm 

Technically, it's definitely illegal (unless the maps have a specific "permission to photocopy" on them).

Would you be risking penalty?  Look at how interested WotC is in devoting resources to blatent rip-off artists.

I'm sure there's a segment of people on here that would mind.  Not me, though.  An unauthorized complete copy of an item is one thing, restoring playability to an almost complete item is a whole nother deal.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:57 pm 

No one here minds trading parts of modules to make a complete. If they do........scroo 'em.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:48 pm 

mordrin wrote:An unauthorized complete copy of an item is one thing, restoring playability to an almost complete item is a whole nother deal.

Yeah, that was my thought. I'm not going to buy one of the damn PDF DVD's that shysters are selling on eBay, so I figure it might be a good resource.

I figured it'd probably be illegal, but imo, this is definately in the "no harm, no foul" category, a step below jaywalking ;)

Foulfoot, or anyone that can speak for the site - is talking about this idea in a thread here ok? Ie, setting up a list of what's needed, asking for contribution of scans, etc? I don't want to get anyone in trouble, or cross any ethical lines that the site wants uncrossed.

(Edited: Threat.. hah. Oops.)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:14 pm 

I don't think talking about it in a threat would be condoned.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.