Airsure mail from the UK
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:11 am 

Anybody ever used this Airsure mail from the UK?  Is it better than regular Airmail?  Will I be hit with huge fees at the border?

If anybody has used this please let me know.

Thanks

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:08 am 

Hi Jeff,

Royal Mail Airsure is fully trackable, but does not require a signiature at your end.
Royal Mail International Signed For is only trackable to the UK border, but does require you to sign to say you received it.
In both cases the sender can pay to increase the insurance from the standard £30.

Customs are usually levied on what is declared on the customs label stuck on the package. I would advise declaring the full value but to label the package '2 Used Books' or '1 Used Book'. In most countries 'used books' do not attract customs charges.

Nice wins there, Jeff.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:33 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Hi Jeff,

Royal Mail Airsure is fully trackable, but does not require a signiature at your end.
Royal Mail International Signed For is only trackable to the UK border, but does require you to sign to say you received it.
In both cases the sender can pay to increase the insurance from the standard £30.

Customs are usually levied on what is declared on the customs lable stuck on the package. I would advise to declare the full value but to label the package '2 Used Books' or '1 Used Book'. In most countries 'used books' do not attract customs charges.

Nice wins there, Jeff.

Thanks for the info

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:31 pm 

Further details on the RM website

Airsure:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump ... d=22700541

Signed For:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump ... d=22700542

Both add a flat rate to the cost of airmail.  £4.20 for Airsure.  £3.50 for Signed.  But you need to add another £1.50 if you want insurance over the basic £30.