Garbage Pits of Despair (aka Free Stuff)
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:29 am 

Ouch!  :o

That's why I normally pack everything between two pieces of cardboard. I was trying to keep down shipping costs and packing time with these, so I only wrapped them in plastic and then straight into the manila envelope.

Glad to hear that stuff is arriving.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:30 am 

Traveller wrote:Got mine, though the post off decided to fold it in half to stuff it into my PO box.

Fortunately though, the curl in the book quickly disappeared, which tells me it wasn't in the box long.

Got mine as well, thanks!

Also, Traveller's story is why I use the UPS store, if it don't fit they store it elsewhere. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:23 am 

Waiting on mine...far out here on the Western edge of the world.  Thanks in advance.   :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:47 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
Traveller wrote:Got mine, though the post off decided to fold it in half to stuff it into my PO box.

Fortunately though, the curl in the book quickly disappeared, which tells me it wasn't in the box long.

Got mine as well, thanks!

Also, Traveller's story is why I use the UPS store, if it don't fit they store it elsewhere. :)

If they can't stuff it in the box, they either set it in one of the large boxes, or send me a note saying I have a package.  I don't generally have issues with my post office.

Now, I just need to find a GOOD DC Heroes RPG resource that gives a complete list of all the powers and skills and I'll be fine and dandy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:38 am 

Hey, thanks Zhowar!  I got my Oriental Adventures today.

I have not looked at this AD&D prize in years.  I remember that there is a line in it that states that armor counts in armor class, "unless the opponent is swinging at an unarmored part of the body."  (possibly the dumbest single line in a rule book, ever)

Like all other copies of Oriental Adventures...and just as you said...this one is popping out of its binding.  My friends and I used to joke that one needed to open a new Oriental Adventures pointed away from one's face...to avoid the grenade-like explosion of its pages.

The thing is...and this is the thing...there are not many who might remember today, but Oriental Adventures as a big deal when it came out.  It was the only D&D book I have ever seen on the Best Sellers list (although there must have been others).

If there had not been so many copies, of course, we would all be scrambling about to get them and Acaeum members would be bragging about have a "mint" copy that had "never been opened" (and thus never exploded into fragments).

Thanks for sending this one to me.  Let me know if there is something you are looking for.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:17 am 

Hiya Zach---

I rec'd my copy of Dragontales sometime while I was away last week.  Muchas Gracias :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:41 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Hey, thanks Zhowar!  I got my Oriental Adventures today.

Like all other copies of Oriental Adventures...and just as you said...this one is popping out of its binding.  My friends and I used to joke that one needed to open a new Oriental Adventures pointed away from one's face...to avoid the grenade-like explosion of its pages.

Mark   8)

My original copy of Oriental Adventures still has all the pages firmly attached and I used the book quite extensively - actually running a few OA campaigns.  The cover has noticeable stress creasing from being opened . . . but still no loose pages.

I am absolutely postive that it must have been a first printing as I purchased it within a few days of release.

Just something I thought I'd throw out there.  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:19 pm 

Mine's in the same shape as Paul's (and, my UA hasn't lost pages either).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:26 pm 

It is possible that different print runs had different glue...or something.

I have never seen a copy of Oriental Adventures that did not have its binding ruined.

The one I bought broke because I did a radical thing...opened it.

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:12 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:It is possible that different print runs had different glue...or something.

I have never seen a copy of Oriental Adventures that did not have its binding ruined.

The one I bought broke because I did a radical thing...opened it.

Mark   8)

That's funny, the only copy I got of OA was from ebay, was near mint, even creaked when I opened it up, but never exploded. ;)  :P

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:52 pm 

I wonder...did TSR use a variety of printing and binding companies, scattered by region?

Or, is it possible that a specific run of a book like Oriental Adventures might have been shipped to a certain region?

I am totally serious when I say I have never seen an un-garbled OA.

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:56 am 

I have an extra copy of the instruction manual (15 page) for the Dragon Magazine Archive.

I will mail this for free to the first person that posts here requesting it.

Note that it's been folded in half and placed in a small envelope for mailing.

U.S. mailing address only, please, unless you wish to pay for the shipping.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:30 am 

I used my OA for years before the binding broke. I think the glue dry-rotted.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:58 pm 

The Dragon Archive manual has been claimed by PM.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:47 pm 

A few more freebies:

Monster Cards - 28 cards, plus the cover card for set 4. These are a mix of cards from sets 2 and 4. Obviously, many are missing (there should be 40 plus two cover cards).

GDW Games catalog - Winter 90-91 - 16 page catalog.

Dragon Magazine #88 - good condition, cover is still attached, Tom Wham's Elefant Hunt game (board, counters, and instructions on pg 45-52) is present but detached from magazine. Counters are all cut and many are present, but some may be missing. The back of the board is also covered in heavy pencil writing - a map has been drawn and crossed out.

Dragon magazine insert - 3 posters (AD&D 2E ad with Player's Handbook Easley cover; Gammarauders poster; Car Wars gamebooks poster) plus a Gen Con '88 Registration booklet. These all go as a lot - if you want one, you get them all. They are all inserts from the middle of late 1980s Dragon Magazines which I sold long ago on Ebay.

Post here or send a PM. One item per person, please. Whoever is first gets the item. As I stated above, free shipping in U.S.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:17 am 

zhowar wrote:Dragon magazine insert - 3 posters (AD&D 2E ad with Player's Handbook Easley cover; Gammarauders poster; Car Wars gamebooks poster) plus a Gen Con '88 Registration booklet. These all go as a lot - if you want one, you get them all. They are all inserts from the middle of late 1980s Dragon Magazines which I sold long ago on Ebay.

How could I pass up a source for tourney info?  I'll take these, please, zhowar :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:33 am 

grodog wrote:
How could I pass up a source for tourney info?  I'll take these, please, zhowar :D

Sure, you got them. Warning, though the tournament information is pretty limited in this booklet. I don't see any actual titles. It actually refers to a forthcoming "Pre-Registration Booklet" that "will list all final events".

What you do get, among other things, is a photo of Ed Greenwood (he looks like a Wookie).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:03 am 

I'm up for Dragon #88!

PreviousNext