Okay..asking for selling advice
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:41 pm 

When my new bookcase and desk is finished and installed this coming weekend I intend to try my hand at selling. Mostly it'll be doubles of what I have to help pay the bill (and so as to not take up space).  So I am wondering if silent auctions, Ebay, or some other way others know about are preferred. This would be for a good mix of Dungeon Magaines, some odds and ends nonTSR items, various lettered TSR modules and of course some Judges Guild items. I have shoddy interenet access for this week, plus just moving my stuff I've been unable to truely catalogue it (so just a generalization as I provided above.)
My only quandry is getting to the Post Office during its open hours (and I don't have a mail printing device otherwise that of course would solve the problem) so that is why I'm leery of just Ebay what with possibly getting the negs all for slow delivery :?
What would be the best way to go about selling for me..?

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:54 pm 

Shane, are you saying you don't have any sort of printer? If so, then, yes, it appears your only issue is somehow getting to the post office. Perhaps a friend, co-worker, wife, etc., could help you out?

If you do have a printer, though, you're set. All you need is to print your postage through either PayPal or the USPS' Click-N-Ship program (which, more or less, are essentially the same creature) and leave the packages at your doorstep for pickup.

It's what I've done for quite a while now. I have not been inside a post office since sometime in 2004 (no lie; really), and I've sold and shipped hundreds of eBay items in that time.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:00 pm 

Silent "first chance" offers seem to be flavor of the month, Shane.

I would have thought the proviso Tim was putting re. "reserving the right to put to eBay, if the offer's not high enough" would have put people off, but that doesn't seem to have been the case. And the highest offer mechanism vs. the proxy bidding of eBay might be to your advantage, too.

For more common items, just stating a fixed price could work.

Lowest overhead and fees, all told, anyhow, plus would get some $ rolling in whilst not having to fuss about internet access.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:00 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Shane, are you saying you don't have any sort of printer? If so, then, yes, it appears your only issue is somehow getting to the post office. Perhaps a friend, co-worker, wife, etc., could help you out?

If you do have a printer, though, you're set. All you need is to print your postage through either PayPal or the USPS' Click-N-Ship program (which, more or less, are essentially the same creature) and leave the packages at your doorstep for pickup.

It's what I've done for quite a while now. I have not been inside a post office since sometime in 2004 (no lie; really), and I've sold and shipped hundreds of eBay items in that time.

how do you do weight..or do you send only Priority packages/boxes?

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:14 pm 

I have a 10-lb. digital scale, bought on the cheap from Amazon to replace my old-school 5-lb. analog version.

Another time-saver is to buy adhesive lables that are specifically made to print perfect U.S. postage. I get mine from a place called Label Universe, but I'm sure they are available from other sources. And be sure to order however many Priority Mail supplies you need from the USPS; everything is free and delivered right to your door.

So I do the entire eBay experience from my home office:

1. Weigh item
2. Submit listing to eBay
3. Receive payment
4. Print shipping label
5. Leave package for postal carrier (unless it's under 1 lb.; such items can generally just be dropped in a postal box).
6. Order new supplies, as needed

Other than my carrier occasionally giving me the evil eye on busy days, it's been totally seamless. No complaints at all, either from me or from any of my buyers.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:15 pm 

Get a cheap scale.
I have almost no time to go to the Post Office, so I put Saturday Shipping Only in my auctions.
Word of advice: No handling charges. Charge exactly what it costs you. If you want to throw a few cents in for tape or packing materials, that is fine.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:22 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:.....And be sure to order however many Priority Mail supplies you need from the USPS; everything is free and delivered right to your door.
5. Leave package for postal carrier (unless it's under 1 lb.; such items can generally just be dropped in a postal box).

I think it would be safe to say some sellers in the UK would be just a tad jealous of the setup that's available in the US! :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:28 pm 

It really is one of the last great bargains. I've ordered everything you can think of — boxes, tape*, stickers, labels, etc. — and never paid a penny.

+++++

*The official USPS Priority Mail packing tape is not made any longer and is now highly sought after. I buy mine on ... eBay. :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:35 am 

faro wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:.....And be sure to order however many Priority Mail supplies you need from the USPS; everything is free and delivered right to your door.

I think it would be safe to say some sellers in the UK would be just a tad jealous of the setup that's available in the US! :)

Yeah, the U.S. postal service has really embraced ebay/online shipping.  I"m doing everything Xaxaxe said:  Adhesive labels, pre-ordered supplies, using a kitchen scale to weight packages, etc.  You can even print customs forms and international postage now - provided the buyer has a phone number attached to their address.  However, this has helped me little as I still need to go to the post office to hand them over to be stamped and scanned in.

But, even with all the shipping I do, I only have to go to post office once or twice a week to take care of international packages.

Plaag - technically you're supposed to call the post office the night before to let them know you will have a package pick-up waiting.  However, since I am a regular and friendly with my mailman, I just leave him a sign in my mailbox if I need him to come to the door,  and he takes care of it on his own.  

Also, if you are using Flat-rate envelopes and Flat Rate boxes, it hardly matters if you get the weight right - just guess when you are printing postage.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:28 am 

Shane, this thread might help you out a bit:  folks provided me with lots of good advice when I asked the same question:  viewtopic.php?t=2247&highlight=advice+sell+ebay

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:58 pm 

Plaag wrote:My only quandry is getting to the Post Office during its open hours (and I don't have a mail printing device otherwise that of course would solve the problem) so that is why I'm leery of just Ebay what with possibly getting the negs all for slow delivery :?

If you can't pre-print your postage and ship from home as previously suggested, then you are stuck with shipping the items from a post office.  You may spend 30 minutes waiting in line during lunchtime or waking up early on a Saturday to ship items.

To avoid negative feedback, make sure you mention in the auction text when you will be shipping.  Keep in contact with your buyers and let them know when an item has shipped.  I don't sell large amounts on eBay, but my buyers haven't given me any negatives.

Stuff happens in life that can delay shipping.  Most people understand that.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:55 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:To avoid negative feedback, make sure you mention in the auction text when you will be shipping.

This is really good advice — just be clear about what your buyers can or cannot expect from you.

Back before I began my exclusive use of Click-N-Ship, I used to have a line in my listings that "I can only ship twice per week" (or something to that effect). I rarely had any issues with this, and those that I did have were almost always from a buyer who didn't read all the way through the listing.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:55 pm 

I ship about 0-3 items a week, generally used CDs, books, or gaming materials. Just stuff of my own that I am selling to make space/reduce clutter, like you are. I used to auction stuff, now I almost always use Buy It Nows. That way if I list a bunch of stuff it won't all end right at the same time, which can be a pain to keep track of.

I used to try to go to the post office twice a week, but now I just put in my auctions, "Generally only ship once a week, on Saturdays". Our post office here is open until 4 on Saturdays which really helps and it also keeps the line short. I used to live where the post office closed at 12 on Saturday and the line would be about 50 people long by 11. Also, our post office has a machine in the lobby where you can ship stuff first class without going to a counter. Great for single CDs (which are light enough that they are cheaper by first class) or anything else that's not media mail or overseas.

The other thing I do, is always message the customer to tell them I have received their payment, and tell them when I plan to ship, and that I will message them again after I mailed the package. And then I message them again after its sent. This would be hard to keep up with if I shipped a large number of items, but for the small number I mail its pretty easy. I have been selling on Ebay for over 6 years, no negatives (yet).

I've also started getting delivery confirmation on anything that's over $20-30. It's about $0.60. Especially if its media mail; it seems to ship a lot faster if you get delivery confirmation.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:13 pm 

Thanks for all the advice..now I have some ideas of what to do and how to go about it (just haven't decided on anything though.)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:18 pm 

Plaag wrote:Thanks for all the advice..now I have some ideas of what to do and how to go about it (just haven't decided on anything though.)

ShaneG.

Shane, I have some advice for you. From a recent personal experience, dont even(or ever for the matter) consider putting up 330 auctions. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Plaag wrote:Thanks for all the advice..now I have some ideas of what to do and how to go about it (just haven't decided on anything though.)

ShaneG.

Shane, I have some advice for you. From a recent personal experience, dont even(or ever for the matter) consider putting up 330 auctions. :)

I was worried about you when I saw that many auctions!  :D   I think the most I have ever run at one time is about 90 auctions.  

Man, you're gonna have a lot of packages to get ready in 5 days!!!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:38 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

ShaneG.

I was worried about you when I saw that many auctions!  :D   I think the most I have ever run at one time is about 90 auctions.  

Man, you're gonna have a lot of packages to get ready in 5 days!!!

I know and I am looking forward to that being the easy part. :(   I actually took off work next Monday so that I can make several trips the PO.  Boy, are they going to be loving me. :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche