Cleaning Paper.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:58 pm 

Hi all.

Got a question for some of you folks, maybe you can answer it...

I've got a couple of books in my collection (personal collection) which have writing on them in ink.  Fortunately the coloring is on the flyleaves, not the actual covers or pages.  Is there any nondestructive method I can use to bleach the ink out?  I can adequately protect the rest of the book.

The next question is, in the same book, close to the binding in the front cover (in fact overlapping the cover onto the cloth) there's also some light writing in ink I'd like to remove.  Any viable treatment there?

Thanks in advance all.

-TDD

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:00 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:Hi all.

I've got a couple of books in my collection (personal collection) which have writing on them in ink.  Fortunately the coloring is on the flyleaves, not the actual covers or pages.  Is there any nondestructive method I can use to bleach the ink out?  I can adequately protect the rest of the book.

The next question is, in the same book, close to the binding in the front cover (in fact overlapping the cover onto the cloth) there's also some light writing in ink I'd like to remove.  Any viable treatment there?

Thanks in advance all.

-TDD

If you're planning on selling the books, I'd recommend avoiding restorative work at all costs.  It's just not worth the risk of causing further damage to the books, and probably won't help your final sale price at all.

If it's something you're planning on keeping for yourself, I'm not sure why an inscription would matter.  You might try a simple ink eraser, very lightly.  I'd avoid anything liquid.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:21 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:Hi all.

Thanks in advance all.

-TDD

If you're planning on selling the books, I'd recommend avoiding restorative work at all costs.  It's just not worth the risk of causing further damage to the books, and probably won't help your final sale price at all.

If it's something you're planning on keeping for yourself, I'm not sure why an inscription would matter.  You might try a simple ink eraser, very lightly.  I'd avoid anything liquid.

It is something I was planning on reselling.  One of the D&DGs actually.

I didn't know how the previous owner's name calligraphied on the flyleaf would impact potential sale price. :(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:27 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:It is something I was planning on reselling.  One of the D&DGs actually.

I didn't know how the previous owner's name calligraphied on the flyleaf would impact potential sale price. :(

Yeah, I wouldn't touch it.  But it's up to you.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:09 pm 

I sell a fair amount of hardcovers and almost invariably there is a name on the flyleaf. For the harder to come by books, it does not hurt the resale too much. In the more common books, the effect is probably close to zero.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:27 pm 

Then I'll leave it alone.  Thanks guys.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:00 am 

*bump*

Has anyone found a way to remove ballpoint-pen ink from paper?  Is ink eraser an actual solid eraser or a liquid?

Re-selling is not my (main) reason for removing the ink; I don't want someone else's name or writing in what is now mine.  I have previously used spray primer to mask the writing on books, and it works well for obliterating large areas.  Methinks removal of the ink is a better and finer-grained solution.

Similarly, does anyone know how to remove the ink from a felt-tip marker?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:24 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:*bump*

Has anyone found a way to remove ballpoint-pen ink from paper?  Is ink eraser an actual solid eraser or a liquid?

Re-selling is not my (main) reason for removing the ink; I don't want someone else's name or writing in what is now mine.  I have previously used spray primer to mask the writing on books, and it works well for obliterating large areas.  Methinks removal of the ink is a better and finer-grained solution.

I haven't seen or used one in decades, but they used to make something called a typewriter eraser, which sometimes did an ok job of removing ballpoint ink.
Warning - if you can still find them, they are usually kind of rough/grainy.  It's easy to tear/wear right through thinner/weaker paper.  Test it out carefully on other things first to get a feel for it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 am 

mordrin wrote:I haven't seen or used one in decades, but they used to make something called a typewriter eraser, which sometimes did an ok job of removing ballpoint ink.
Warning - if you can still find them, they are usually kind of rough/grainy.  It's easy to tear/wear right through thinner/weaker paper.  Test it out carefully on other things first to get a feel for it.

I had forgotten about typewriters.   8O   I remember doing exactly what you describe ---- rubbing through the paper with the typewriter eraser.

Thanks for the tip.  I may be able to find some in an office supply store or the supply cabinet at work . . .

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:53 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:*bump*

I know that isopropanol [(CH3)2CHOH)] will remove most sharpie and felt-tip markers from non-porous materials (such as CD's, bottles, perhaps even the cover of a DMG).  Isopropanol is one of the main components of the commercially available product sold as Goo Gone.  But they are both liquids.  However, I feel that pure isopropanol leaves less residue when it evaporates.

One problem that you may find is that when trying to treat regular paper products, the ink will "loosen" but then just "re-dry".  This effect is like smearing or "bleeding" of the ink on the paper.

Ben.S.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:34 pm 

If the name's not scrawled across 9 inches or something like that (which is in fact the case in some of the books I've bought), then I'd just use a sticker or bookplate or something similar to cover up the old name.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/