Miniature List.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:09 pm 

I have been mulling through my collection the past few months, getting ready to unload it all on ebay.  I have hundreds of miniatures, some boxed and many loose.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a mini catalog that might help me out with...well..cataloging them.  If possible, a list with the items rarity and value both would be helpful.  

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:53 pm 

morgansurname wrote:I have been mulling through my collection the past few months, getting ready to unload it all on ebay.  I have hundreds of miniatures, some boxed and many loose.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a mini catalog that might help me out with...well..cataloging them.  If possible, a list with the items rarity and value both would be helpful.  

Such a list does not exist, you have to do it the hard way, old catalogues and auctions.  There is a website called Stuff of Legends that will help to identify many of the figs but the website is far from complete and rarely updated.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:55 pm 

Thanks for the info.  Does anyone have a preferred title name for an old catalogue that might help.  I would be willing to buy one if anyone has a recent and dependable title handy.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:32 pm 

morgansurname wrote:Thanks for the info.  Does anyone have a preferred title name for an old catalogue that might help.  I would be willing to buy one if anyone has a recent and dependable title handy.

Check Ebay for old Ral Partha, Grenadier, Heritage product catalogues, sometimes they go cheap, sometimes not.

It the miniature has Ral Partha and TSR copyright on the bottom it is likely one of the 11 series miniatures and may be worth looking into.  If it is a loose Grenadier sell it in a lot, if it is Heritage, Citadel or not identified it may be worth some cash.

Most loose miniatures go for $0.25 - $1.50  each in lots, monsters and Dragons for more.  Some of the limited Mithril line can be worth hundreds.  

Miniatures vary almost as much as other game material.  If you do not know much follow a bunch of Ebay auctions to get a feel for it.

Of course if you still own the boxes/blister packs they are worth way more.  I just paid over $90.00 for a single miniature pack (Laurana from Dragonlance).  A boxed set of Dark Sun minis is worth $75 - $90 complete.  Condition is also a factor (ie painted, primed, bare etc)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:56 pm 

Of course if you still own the boxes/blister packs they are worth way more.

That being the case, what do you suppose a Ral Partha Imperial Dragon, Serial # 83, is worth, still in box that isn't TOO beat?

Or four of the old R-P ORCS still in blister, or ALL of the individual weapons in blisters?

Just curious...

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:19 pm 

Kaskoid wrote:
Of course if you still own the boxes/blister packs they are worth way more.

That being the case, what do you suppose a Ral Partha Imperial Dragon, Serial # 83, is worth, still in box that isn't TOO beat?

Or four of the old R-P ORCS still in blister, or ALL of the individual weapons in blisters?

Just curious...

Yes they are worth auctioning off.  What kind of packaging on the orcs?

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:00 pm 

morgansurname wrote:I have been mulling through my collection the past few months, getting ready to unload it all on ebay.  I have hundreds of miniatures, some boxed and many loose.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a mini catalog that might help me out with...well..cataloging them.  If possible, a list with the items rarity and value both would be helpful.  

I've had a devil of a time tracking down useful information on older miniatures. Your best bet is to find a Ral Partha or Grenadier catalog on eBay. I've seen them go for $15 to $20.

If all else fails, be sure to include a clear image of any minis in your auctions. If other collectors are like me, they're looking for a number of specific miniatures. A blurry photo of a 100 1980s Ral Partha figures doesn't do you any good!

When you do start your auctions, consider group miniatures that you can't identify by race or D&D character class. If you can't identify the manufacturer or line, that's probably the next best thing.

As a rule of thumb, the following minis will likely fetch the best prices:

* Ral Partha 11 series miniatures, particularly early figures and boxed sets other than the BattleSystem sets. In most cases, the earlier the figure appeared the higher the demand. The later figures, particularly the Planescape ones, seem to be in low demand.

* Ral Partha 10 series miniatures, the All American Line. I haven't been able to find out much info about this line, other than there must be other people out there aside from me who are collecting it (judging by the number of auctions I've lost!). This line seems to have had a very limited production run.

* Games Workshop D&D miniatures.

* Grenadier official D&D miniatures, particularly the boxed sets.

* Out of production 40k and Warhammer fantasy figures, particularly figures from the 1980s.

The best place to start with miniatures is with the base. Usually, the manufacturer name, along with a year and perhaps the sculptor, appear there.

Mike Mearls
RPG Developer, Wizards of the Coast

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:06 pm 

mearls wrote:

I've had a devil of a time tracking down useful information on older miniatures. Your best bet is to find a Ral Partha or Grenadier catalog on eBay. I've seen them go for $15 to $20.

If all else fails, be sure to include a clear image of any minis in your auctions. If other collectors are like me, they're looking for a number of specific miniatures. A blurry photo of a 100 1980s Ral Partha figures doesn't do you any good!

When you do start your auctions, consider group miniatures that you can't identify by race or D&D character class. If you can't identify the manufacturer or line, that's probably the next best thing.

As a rule of thumb, the following minis will likely fetch the best prices:

* Ral Partha 11 series miniatures, particularly early figures and boxed sets other than the BattleSystem sets. In most cases, the earlier the figure appeared the higher the demand. The later figures, particularly the Planescape ones, seem to be in low demand.

* Ral Partha 10 series miniatures, the All American Line. I haven't been able to find out much info about this line, other than there must be other people out there aside from me who are collecting it (judging by the number of auctions I've lost!). This line seems to have had a very limited production run.

* Games Workshop D&D miniatures.

* Grenadier official D&D miniatures, particularly the boxed sets.

* Out of production 40k and Warhammer fantasy figures, particularly figures from the 1980s.

The best place to start with miniatures is with the base. Usually, the manufacturer name, along with a year and perhaps the sculptor, appear there.
Thanks a bunch for the advice!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:09 pm 

As far as identifying figs I would recommend The Armory's " Buyers Guide to Fantasy Miniatures" it's from 1983 so it won't cover alot of RP like the "11" series but it's an invaluable guide IMHO. As far as getting one, that can be tricky. I sold one a few years ago on Ebay for almost $100 but have seen them go for much less ( $50 ). They just don't pop up often.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:00 pm 

Yes they are worth auctioning off. What kind of packaging on the orcs?

The All American Line. They are all stamped 12-010, but they are four different figures.

What about Citadel FT010 Orc firing crossbow still on card?

Or Broadsword Druids and Magic Users still on card?

Or how about Draconians (10-501) by RP in box in VG shape? One of the DragonLance line?

Plus I have stuff in bags from companies you may have never seen, like Saxon and Asgard.

Guidelines, not rules...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:36 pm 

Awww, no '50s stuff from Jack Scruby?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:36 pm 

Maybe from the mid to late 70's. I have literally hundreds and hundreds of mostly loose (or boxed which was pre-blister) figures. Some were sent to be reviewed, some I got for myself and never painted. I have dragons, space ships, robots, battle mechs, ....you name it.

Guidelines, not rules...