Lessons learned. Foul, Please lock this thread :)
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:13 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:Hey, he's the one who picked up his toys and went home. Too frigging bad. No need to whilne like a beaten puppy about it.

tfm is obviously feeling bitter about the Acaeum.  He was a valuable member of the forum discussions and it's unfortunate how things worked out.  Let's move on, folks...no need to re-open old wounds.  He's not exactly a Maxwell.

sorry guys i am totally at a loss here....whats happened? was it something while i was away?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:56 pm 

Reread this whole post, Al.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:02 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Reread this whole post, Al.

ah thanks frank, i didnt know it was THIS thread. thankyou!

*goes off to read*

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:37 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:ah thanks frank, i didnt know it was THIS thread. thankyou!

Yeah, this thread, Al... And if you'd like a copy of the scans and confirmation from the original owner, give us a holler off the board, please. (or anyone else).
"Don't speculate incompetently on another website" indeed... :evil:

Dunno Deimos, maybe not a Maxwell but that was a very high-value auction to be messing around like that.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:43 pm 

read it. phew long read! sorry this all happened really.

i won't stoke the fire further - there is no point.

all i can say is its sad, whatever the reason.

the only thing i WILL say though is this. for me, david has always been an all-round great guy. he's helped me out innumerable times with loads of things and frankly, its nice to have someone around who DOES have so much attention to the most ridiculous detail.

does it really matter how something is put across? maybe so. but if you look further than that, the point is all-important.

as a buyer and a seller, i have had a few occasions where i have had things aimed at me. did i go running? no. i stood and defended my position. anyone would do that if they were correct and the inquisitor was not.

sorry that i missed all this at the time - didnt mean to dredge it all up again. i hope that in time tfm will come back and maybe then, the whole issue could be resolved properly.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:23 pm 

Nothing to resolve. He tried to sell a Frankenstein copy and lied about the provenance. The Frankenstein issue is not the problem, it's lying about a $2K+ item in order to garnish a few extra bucks. The sad part is, it would probably have sold for the same price regardless. An ST1 is an ST1. If anything, putting together a better book and cover makes it worth MORE to a buyer.
Then again, maybe it was just a forgery. Who knows, who cares. Had he just explained the situation, instead of running like O.J. Simpson from a crime scene, he would have been fine.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:58 pm 

faro wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:ah thanks frank, i didnt know it was THIS thread. thankyou!

Yeah, this thread, Al... And if you'd like a copy of the scans and confirmation from the original owner, give us a holler off the board, please. (or anyone else).
"Don't speculate incompetently on another website" indeed... :evil:

Dunno Deimos, maybe not a Maxwell but that was a very high-value auction to be messing around like that.

One question David.  When you became suspicious of the auction details did you contact the seller 1st and allow them the right of 1st reply or did you post on the acaeum 1st?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:08 pm 

improvstone wrote:One question David.  When you became suspicious of the auction details did you contact the seller 1st and allow them the right of 1st reply or did you post on the acaeum 1st?

(Not just the auction details, but also the responses to the questions).

Appreciate your concern, Mike (and it's good to see people adopt that consideration when uncertain of details and they're tempted to throw in accusations without evidence), but there was basically nothing to reply to.

The original owner has also confirmed they sold the copy which had that cover to that seller (turned out to be tfm) and that it did indeed have rusty staples. I have all the pics from the original auction to prove that, too, since I helped on the sale.
The seller's comment in the auction was that he had never seen a copy with rusty staples. I called that statement a lie, as indeed it was, advised people to consider the posts (and implicitly, to ask further questions), yet there was nothing I could do to stop people bidding, regardless.
The auction had some time to run at that point, but why should I have withheld factual evidence from the board if I knew the bidding might've ramped up whilst awaiting a delayed response which I knew could not be truthful? Before you know it the auction has closed and the opportunity for the people who are going to pay to ask questions has gone.

=
faro wrote:OK, that's enough post... feel to PM/email, if desired.

p.s. I'm only replying on the board, because you asked here.
You could have PM'd me this question and asked for the emails and scans, since I had invited that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:22 pm 

I am going to change the name of this thread to the "Please Lock Me" thread. :)   I think this thread should be laid to rest now that everything that can be explained, has been explained and nothing really good can come from any further postings in here.  Lets all just chalk this one one up to a hard learning experience and move on. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:02 pm 

Lock.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Previous