Lessons learned. Foul, Please lock this thread :)
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:32 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I still think ST1 would have been better if it featured Acererak terrorizing Hommlet.

Yeah, until he ran into Byrne and Rufus, pal ... then there would be an old-school demi-lich ass-kicking for sure. :D

No one messes with Byrne and Rufus! (except for Warduke, maybe).

+++++

Aside: Sad to see so much ill will over ST1, the most utterly crap-tastic "module" ever produced. Strange how this POS seems to generate such negativity (just search any ST1-related thread here; they all feature heated discussions). :roll: :cry:

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:58 pm 

Hi there.

First post... possibly my only one.

I'd like to begin by saying I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with the seller of this item.  I do not know him personally, nor do I have any particular vested interest in the outcome of the transaction beyond a passing curiosity.  The rarity of this item places it well outside my financial reach, so I wouldn't even have bid on it.

But some of the comments here have been troublesome to me, because they strike me as unfounded accusations.

It seems to me that even *IF* this were the same copy that at least one person in this forum seems convinced that it is (although I have no idea how one can determine that so certainly from a low resolution scan that isn't even a quarter the size of the actual item), it does not necessarily mean that he is lying about the rust.   Staples can be replaced fairly easily, after all... and it's not at all improbable that this seller may have acquired the item after some previous owner had replaced them.  That's even *IF* it were the same copy.... which I am at a complete loss to understand how someone could so certainly arrive at that conclusion from pictures like that.

Either way, it seems entirely unfair to me to call the guy a liar.   The buyer would have done that if it were untrue anyways.

Not that at matters now anyways.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:04 am 

Nothing, really, to say except....   :(

Oh....and...

Q:  Why does Warduke switch sword hands?
A:  Because both of them itch to kill and kill.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:54 pm 

Ok, here is a clue on how much I value ST1 - one of about four items that I don't own for D&D...I just read this thread from end to end 8O

I had no idea until about 15 minutes ago this whole deal was going on. Holy Scans Batman!

I really don't have much of a comment, other than, this kind of thing was bound to happen. Whether or not there was outright fraud here is certainly not concrete. Regardless, more will or has happened.

I am still waiting for those counterfeit tourny modules and Jade Hares to start cropping up. At $1,500 bucks a pop, someone is gonna do it. ST1 Frankenstien (which it seems may have happened here) is inevitable. I am sure we will see an OB3 in the same set of circumstances.

By the way, nice note of Darky, he disappeared from the site while I was on my own hiatus...a true shame.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:04 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I am still waiting for those counterfeit tourny modules and Jade Hares to start cropping up.

And I'm still waiting for my cheque.  You get the fakes when I get my money, not a minute sooner.  Kinky's doesn't photocopy stuff for free, y'know.   :roll:

In the future, please keep our private transactions out of the main forums!  :twisted:

(I kid because I care.  We all know I've never been to Kinky's...the transvestites in there scare me.  Kinkos?  What?  Seriously?  8O )

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:28 pm 

Hi,

well this is part of the scans I have of the booklet for the copy I sold a coupla years ago, with the coffee stain on the outside:

My guess is a Frankenstein.

Personally, I think this makes no difference whatsoever.

I sometimes swap the contents of my box sets round, so I get the "best" copy. As long as theyre the same printing, I dont find this objectionable,
and ST1 only had 1 printing.

The only problem I can see is that he appears to have been misleading people (altho this makes no difference to the item).

Cheers,
Malcolm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:39 pm 

So the booklet came from your coffee copy. Even shadier......

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:00 pm 

How could combining the best book and the best cover of a single print item be considered shady?  It sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:43 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:How could combining the best book and the best cover of a single print item be considered shady?  It sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Mark   8)

Agreed! If there was only one printing and all the booklets are the same it shouldn't really matter.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:12 pm 

It's shady because the buyer was never told that. The onlyreference to its history was "I bought it on eBay." Then again, THAT wasn't true either.
All I can say is, if I paid $2,500 or more for a mod, I want the truth. I guarantee the seller thought if he stated that it was a Frankenstien copy, he'd get less for it.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:17 am 

I agree, but it would be better to mention this in the auction description.

Something like:

"This ST1 is the combination of the best cover and booklet from two complete modules I acquired over the years."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:11 am 

With statements about rares having coffee cup - ring stains and cigarette holes in the covers......I'm going to have nightmares for a month  8O  8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:04 am 

I got a note from tfm toward the end of last week, and he asked me to share some info with the forum:

tfm wrote:Please give my best to everybody and thank those who have sent hopeful emails.  I haven't been back since my last post.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:13 am 

I wonder how many of those 'hopeful emails' were worded along the lines of 'now this is off ebay would you consider $x? to take this bit of 80's English tat off your hands?' (and how many of those emails were from acaeum members horrified by the way the auction played out!
( :twisted: just playing devils advocate really - I'm sure no-one here would try such a trick!)

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:53 am 

I just saw one of tfm's latest auctions on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1

Note the comment in the description:

Note: If you have any questions regarding condition, please ask. Don't speculate incompetently on another website. I'm happy to provide all of the information that I can to my customers.

Seems a bit of overkill since it's just a common WG5 and not a rare ST1.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:19 am 

sheeadog wrote:I just saw one of tfm's latest auctions on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1

Note the comment in the description:
Note: If you have any questions regarding condition, please ask. Don't speculate incompetently on another website. I'm happy to provide all of the information that I can to my customers.

Seems a bit of overkill since it's just a common WG5 and not a rare ST1.

I'd much rather speculate incompetently over his trashed copy of WG9 Gargoyle..I mean, is it REALLY in Fair condition????????? :roll:

Please.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:12 am 

Hey, he's the one who picked up his toys and went home. Too frigging bad. No need to whilne like a beaten puppy about it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:15 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Hey, he's the one who picked up his toys and went home. Too frigging bad. No need to whilne like a beaten puppy about it.

tfm is obviously feeling bitter about the Acaeum.  He was a valuable member of the forum discussions and it's unfortunate how things worked out.  Let's move on, folks...no need to re-open old wounds.  He's not exactly a Maxwell.

YIM  
PreviousNext