Lessons learned. Foul, Please lock this thread :)
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:28 pm 

I'll vouch for the seller, Greta Conroy, as well.  

As for why ST1 sells for so much, well it's an ultra rare 1st Ed. AD&D module; actually the rarest with its own series code and traditional wraparound cover.  Yes, the adventure itself is crap, but so is PotVQ and Fazzlewood.  
Whenever the group turns toward ST1 bashing, it just reminds me of the old story about the fox and sour grapes...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:43 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:I'll vouch for the seller, Greta Conroy, as well.  

As for why ST1 sells for so much, well it's an ultra rare 1st Ed. AD&D module; actually the rarest with its own series code and traditional wraparound cover.  Yes, the adventure itself is crap, but so is PotVQ and Fazzlewood.  
Whenever the group turns toward ST1 bashing, it just reminds me of the old story about the fox and sour grapes...

I still think ST1 would have been better if it featured Acererak terrorizing Hommlet.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:33 am 

By the way, I contacted the seller and offered my assistance in hosting some additional scans.  I just received them in my email box and I'll post them here sometime tomorrow afternoon.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:21 am 

VermilionFire wrote:I'll vouch for the seller, Greta Conroy, as well.  

If they weren't so crap, lots of people would have bought them and they wouldn't be all that rare. If something is rare, you can assume a certain amount of crap by deffinition.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:26 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I still think ST1 would have been better if it featured Acererak terrorizing Hommlet.

Now that is a great module idea.  8O

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:06 am 

VermilionFire wrote:As for why ST1 sells for so much, well it's an ultra rare 1st Ed. AD&D module; actually the rarest with its own series code and traditional wraparound cover.  

On the other hand, people might just genuinely not care and/or that given relative rarity it could be said to be ~4-5 times overpriced. To say nothing of timeframe...

D&D, not AD&D, of course, which is possibly a reason some people didn't buy it- more feasible than the idea that everyone stood around reading/reviewing it at the garden festival/games day to decide whether it was "good enough" to purchase.
It wasn't sold on that basis, it was sold as a collector's item; heralded for two consecutive months in WD.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:34 am 

faro wrote:On the other hand, people might just genuinely not care and/or that given relative rarity it could be said to be ~4-5 times overpriced. To say nothing of timeframe...

D&D, not AD&D, of course, which is possibly a reason some people didn't buy it- more feasible than the idea that everyone stood around reading/reviewing it at the garden festival/games day to decide whether it was "good enough" to purchase.
It wasn't sold on that basis, it was sold as a collector's item; heralded for two consecutive months in WD.

Woops, thanks for pointing out it was D&D, and not AD&D.  
Just find it strange that some people go gaga over Fazzlewood (also D&D), which is also a crap adventure and verbatim the same as O1's text, but then say ST1 is wildly overpriced even though its text/art is only available within this one full-treatment TSR issued module.  
I own both and would choose the ST1 over Fazzlewood any day if forced to make the choice.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:53 am 

As a dungeon adventure, it doesn't seem terribly exciting.  It would take the right kind of DM and players who like something different.  That said, I think the concept upon which the adventure is based is without a doubt cutting edge sci-fi.  It makes me think of the foundations of reality in a fashion similar to Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" the book that inspired Bladerunner (TDC is the only version to watch, btw).  In Up the Garden Path reality is replaced with probability, and it's mind-blowing.  The dialogue boxes in the beginning are brilliant.  It's an adventure for the brain.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:38 am 

tfm wrote:As a dungeon adventure, it doesn't seem terribly exciting.  It would take the right kind of DM and players who like something different.  That said, I think the concept upon which the adventure is based is without a doubt cutting edge sci-fi.  It makes me think of the foundations of reality in a fashion similar to Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" the book that inspired Bladerunner (TDC is the only version to watch, btw).  In Up the Garden Path reality is replaced with probability, and it's mind-blowing.  The dialogue boxes in the beginning are brilliant.  It's an adventure for the brain.

Wow, I'm going to have to another look at ST1 being a big fan of the above Dick story and film (TDC for sure).  Thanks for posting the above, there's certainly more to D&D than dungeon crawls as I've always had a soft spot for Castle Amber for that reason even though others despise it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:34 pm 

Here are the pics of the ST1 that the seller sent me:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:01 pm 

ouch...time to readjust the bids anyone?  Looks in Fine...but NM????

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:33 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Nothing can stop the ST1 Juggernaught!  Nothing!  :twisted:
Ah, crap.  Wrong again.  Read my posts all the way through! :roll:

YIM  

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:52 pm 

My official guess for the final price is:  $2,255

:D

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:26 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
morgansurname wrote:ouch...time to readjust the bids anyone?  Looks in Fine...but NM????

Nothing can stop the ST1 Juggernaught!  Nothing!  :twisted:  Though I'm sure some snipes will be frantically cancelled.

If anyone wants to put in huge bids several days before the end of the auction without having seen the actual condition, they're more than welcome to do so.

It was not bought "a few years ago"; that's a deliberate false lead, I suspect! :)
The purchase date was September/October 2004 and I also have higher resolution scans showing the damage to the cover (bashes, scratches, etc.) since I helped the previous seller to dispose of that copy.
The latest owner seems happy enough to re-scan on request, so might be easier to ask them for more as their scanner is better (try just to the right of the TSR logo, for example).

I'm having a smile at http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/st.html , btw.
For some reason the good copies (not NM, btw) are listed, but not this one. Neat!
Purchase price was $1,252, btw: viewtopic.php?t=1113 (page 3)
[ed.] Hmm... it's out-of-sequence and listed as $1,288 not $1,252: explains why I couldn't find it. "VG" *g*

=
Mr. Bus, I'm not even going to comment on your post! :roll: :D

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:29 pm 

faro wrote:=
Mr. Bus, I'm not even going to comment on your post! :roll: :D

:lol:

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:31 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:Woops, thanks for pointing out it was D&D, and not AD&D.  
Just find it strange that some people go gaga over Fazzlewood (also D&D), which is also a crap adventure and verbatim the same as O1's text, but then say ST1 is wildly overpriced even though its text/art is only available within this one full-treatment TSR issued module.  
I own both and would choose the ST1 over Fazzlewood any day if forced to make the choice.

:)

Would it help any if I said that I think Fazzle is somewhat overvalued/overrated, too? (Even for a 1978 vs. 1986 mod).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:58 pm 

Too many threads to keep up with.  I've only Just noticed that we have a ST1 for sale. :oops:

And I didn't even get chance to get my name on the bidding list :cry:

Can you please make sure that similar threads have ST1 in the title in future :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:14 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Too many threads to keep up with.  I've only Just noticed that we have a ST1 for sale. :oops:

Obviously too busy searching eBay for dice, or else actually have a life beyond D&D collecting?
(Congrats, John; and best wishes to y'all ;))

PreviousNext