1011 Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (1980)
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:36 am 

I recently came into possession of an item and I am looking for information on the Value of a D&D basic set.  Possibly interested in selling.

Description:
1011 Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Adventure Game Basic Set (TSR)
1980 TSR Hobbies, Inc.  All Rights Reserved

Box Includes:
1) Basic Rulebook
2) dice (still in original packaging w/ crayon unopenend)
3) B2 special instructional module for character levels 1-3 (Dungeon Module B2, The keep on the Borderlands by Gary Gygax)
4) Role Playing Game Association Membership form

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:13 pm 

Probably $5-$15 depending on the condition of the box and books.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:53 pm 

This looks like as good a thread as any.  I've noticed some significant differences between the 1st Moldvay Basic (8th) and at least one subsequent Moldvay printing.  These are all on the bottom of the box.

1st Moldvay (8th)
Bottom right, the last copyright date is 1980. The words "Lake Geneva" are as shown in quotes.
Bottom left, copyright 1980.
Text:
"The adventurers are becoming more excited with each passing second, for each step in the flickering torchlight brings them closer...

...So leave the cares of the everyday behind you, and enter the Gateway to Adventure -- enter the world of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS(R) fantasy role playing game, a world of endless excitement and thrilling fun!"

Later Moldvay (unknown?)
Bottom right, last copyright date is 1981.  All rights Reserved. "LAKE GENEVA" is now in all-caps.
Text:
"Fire and smoke surround you as you swing your sword and land a mighty blow upon the dragon's head.  The great creature...

...So enter the Gateway to Adventure -- step into the world of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS fantasy role playing game, a world of endless excite-
ment and thrilling fun."

Thanks to Terminal Frost for his extensive recent auction photo showing the bottom of the box.  :)

(I didn't feel like typing out the entire texts, but they are two entirely different stories.)

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:51 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:1st Moldvay (8th)
Bottom right, the last copyright date is 1980. The words "Lake Geneva" are as shown in quotes.
Text:
"The adventurers are becoming more excited with each passing second, for each step in the flickering torchlight brings them closer...

...So leave the cares of the everyday behind you, and enter the Gateway to Adventure -- enter the world of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS(R) fantasy role playing game, a world of endless excitement and thrilling fun!"

Just a tidbit to add:

I have the same set mentioned here and would like to note that it also has the earlier "tip-on-board" style chipboard box as apposed to the more common "direct-to-board" white card-stock boxes from 1981 and later.

I'll bet late 1980/early '81 would be the transition for these boxes.