The Collector's Trove: Robert J. Kuntz Collection
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:45 am 

Obviously a joke..........
But again, there is NOTHING preventing further copies of character sheets being created. The fact that several people paid a lot of money for them should be reason enough for no additional copies. Had these individuals known that more copies would be produced, would they have paid $500+? No, they would have either bid low or waited for another copy.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:32 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:If you are dissatisfied I will be happy to give you a full refund, including shipping for the return of the item.

Very glad to see it's being handled professionally and properly.

This is what I'd do, too... and what we have done at the GenCon auction, on those rare occasions.

:D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:31 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Obviously a joke..........
But again, there is NOTHING preventing further copies of character sheets being created. The fact that several people paid a lot of money for them should be reason enough for no additional copies. Had these individuals known that more copies would be produced, would they have paid $500+? No, they would have either bid low or waited for another copy.

We all know each other here. There are no unknown participants in the transactions unless a sale goes to an outsider.

For all concerned it is a matter of trust and reputation. I for one am willing to buy on faith alone, given what I know of all the parties involved.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:00 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Frank,
Deadlord39 wrote:
The Collector's Trove wrote:As stated, only three. No more. Two have already been sold so this is the last.

Didn't Hitler say that when he invaded Poland?

Oh, yes that is an astute observation: Paul (seller of rare games) = Hitler (despotic, insane, murderer).

He was obviously not equating you to that aspect of Hitler.  Rather than comparing you to Hitler, Frank should have compared you to Microsoft and the "feature creep/software bloat" that accompanies each of their products.  Microsoft doesn't quite fit the comparison, but it's more apropos than Hitler.

I don't necessarily agree with Frank's point-of-view.  If you were perceived to have ripped someone off or gone back on your promise about a limited-production item, people here would never again (publicly) buy anything you tried to sell.  Everyone one would wonder if you were trying to pull a fast one.

Didn't Mel Brooks have a Hitler joke?  Something along the lines of "Hitler said all he wanted was a little peace . . . a little piece of Poland, a little piece of France . . ."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:11 pm 

Somehow Paul Stomber (Collectors Trove) have managed to secure part of the market we all dream of.  He is selling originals, early stuff, artists and writers stuff etc.  Very cool items. To downplay or ridicule the impact he has had on our very small community is very destructive to us (Acaeum members), and his own reputation.  Copies of famous works, paintings etc are commonplace and ones (Like the Character sheets) that Paul is selling only serve to embrace the new market that is D&D collecting.

Paul is a part of this new collecting market and giving it legitimacy.  These reproductions are great collectables and will increase in value as the years go by.  Stop this nonsense and bickering and watch as collecting history unfolds.  Do not be bitter because you do not understand or cannot afford these items.

This is good for our fledgling community, not bad.  Thanks Paul for bringing this stuff on the market.

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:45 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:We all know each other here. There are no unknown participants in the transactions unless a sale goes to an outsider.

All I know is, if they're still at $3.50 next time I look, I'm throwing in a bid.  At that price there could be 1000 and I'd be happy.  :wink:

(Incidentally, I'm a little surprised Mr. Kask isn't going through Paul, as so many other people seem to be...)

YIM  

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:47 pm 

Just to say I would like to thank Paul 100% for the chance to buy some of these very special items which would otherwise have never surfaced.

Having bought items on each of the auctions I can only add I am
completely happy and would definitely bid again.

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:59 pm 

Personally I would have liked to have seen the Kask Collection go up on eBay. I think these secret auctions don't serve the collector community well.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:55 pm 

At this point I am letting this situation drop. FWIW, I have bought several things from Paul and I have always been pleased.  

That being said however I think some people have missed the whole point of my original complaint.  My original complaint is/was that I won an auction for was perceived as was going to a one-of-a-kind replica of the Lord Robilar character sheet.  As I found out now, that is defintely not the case at all, and the fact is that information was not disclosed during the first auction.  That is the sellers responsibility to let people know exactly what you are bidding on.  You know what, I paid like $60 for the sheet big f'n deal. You need to take 2 things into consideration however when looking at this circumstance though.  1) What if this happened to you? Would you still feel the same sense of gratitude if it was you in this same situation?  2) What if this sheet ended up going for $500 being that it was perceived as a one of kind replica? Would you still feel the same way about?  Would you feel the same way if it was you who were "misinformed"?.  Imagine if Improvstone found out that the "Bottle City" level of the Greyhawk Castle dungeon that he spent $3600 on last was not the only one to be sold and there was another one being listed now?  Would your feelings be the same?

I am not trying to bash Paul at all nor am I looking for any sympathy, I just think that things need to be more clearly communicated when items like this are being sold. If they are communicate, then circumstances like this don't happen.  These auctions are most certainly about trust of the source and with that being said, the source needs to be 100% upfront about the things being sold to maintain that trust. If the trust isn't maintained the the special part of the items being sold is lost with it.

That is all.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:32 pm 

I absolutely agree.
however, when NO info about subsequent copies and sales is given, it inherently implies that there will be none.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:38 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Personally I would have liked to have seen the Kask Collection go up on eBay. I think these secret auctions don't serve the collector community well.

I would have to agree with that statement.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:56 pm 

And your wish (for the Kask items left) is granted:  eBay listings

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:15 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:This is why I don't usually buy "personal" items. Too easy to duplicate.

Yes, finding a blank copy of an in-house TSR rules sheet from 1975 that sells for $500/pad by itself...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... RK:MEWA:IT

Check!  :twisted:

(Well, I thought it was funny.  No offense intended, we need some levity around here.)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:11 am 

I must confess to being star struck when it comes to gaming legends.  (I recently insisted that Ben Burns and his artist sign all three copies of the modules I bought from him!)

I don't see why not.  It is certainly more constructive than a lot of the other hero worship that goes on.  I might as well be star struck over something I care about.

I just feel some frustration over the disappearance of these artifacts in auctions I will not be able to win.  I hope the winners keep them well.

The fact that Rob Kunz is keeping his intellectual rights gives hope that one day these materials will see light.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:42 am 

Though I gave the below info to Paul to list, I'm sure he is catching up on sleep after being up 2 days to finally the organization of my auction.  So here it is, maybe Paul will update it in the auction description.

6 Castle Greyhawk Levels

There are six levels as follows:

LV3-split East.  A special level with the protoype "Garden" of the Plantmaster in it, a Giants Pool Hall,and the resting place of the first "ring of shooting stars".

LV8 East.  The Original "Machine Level," playtested by EGG and adventured on by dozens, including James Ward's Bombadil PC.  Repair robots, washing tubs, insane mahinery, and floors with conveyer belts moving one to these areas.

LV11-Core.  Whole elevator rooms/complex which actually moves up 1/8 of the map to the levels above, with endindg point covering pit (never found by adventurers) with a great magic item in it.  Entrance to land of OZ.
LV12-Core.  Ice/Snow level (Arctic Level). Frost King, Ice Worms Trap area with many holes, boreal clime.
LV13-Core. Original Lord of Light with "Orb of Brightness" (later renamed by EGG Gem of Brightness), Hidden Tomb with staff of wizards, Corridors of Distance, access points to Asgard, Melnibonae, Dying Earth, sinking rising rough hewn room to levels below and above.
LV14-Core. Access to deeper regions of the castle, bridge over void with Flame guardian, 3 Kings throne room (massive)--MU, F, Cl--where one of the artifacts for clerics was located.

I will write additonal matter from memory for the winner of this, but this should suffice to add some background and flavor to the lot.

RJK

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:34 pm 

What happened to the Ebay listings?  I got a notice the Kaskoid auctions I joined had been pulled for violating Ebay policy....?

What's going on?

Mark  :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:35 pm 

Posted the listing above to the wrong strand, sorry.   :oops:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:17 pm 

Thanks for the extra info, Rob :D

Paul, this item has a missing image: