Morno Vampire Queen
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:26 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I thought I had put in some pretty way out bids!  Once again a dollar short :cry:

Indeed you had!
Cheer up; that was a full bid increment ($10), actually, and I'm pretty sure the max bid was quite a bit higher.

Thought my $200-300 snipes were plenty high, to be honest! :lol:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:26 pm 

faro wrote:
Many thanks for the inspirational artwork (and there were some pretty neat A&E covers, Dragon illos, etc., to add to that resume, too).

Well, thanks; when I prowled through my bookshelf looking for these I stumbled across a cover I did for Corey Cole's "Spell Book"; of all the illustrations I did in those days (though this was a bit later) I think that one holds up the best.  In fact that was probably as late as '83, now that I think of it.

Bradley W. Schenck
(the artist formerly known as Morno - isn't there a symbol for that?)
Webomator Blog

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:28 pm 

red_bus wrote:No more late nights out in the pub for me for (quite) a while.  :)

Hey, I thought you were still on packet noodles after that crazy woodgrain auction!

Or is the alcohol the last thing to be given up? ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:32 pm 

Formerly Known As Morno wrote:
faro wrote:
Many thanks for the inspirational artwork (and there were some pretty neat A&E covers, Dragon illos, etc., to add to that resume, too).

Well, thanks; when I prowled through my bookshelf looking for these I stumbled across a cover I did for Corey Cole's "Spell Book"; of all the illustrations I did in those days (though this was a bit later) I think that one holds up the best.  In fact that was probably as late as '83, now that I think of it.

well i assume you are not compaining about popping onto the site in the end eh :)

turned out to be quite a nice lucrative heist for you that :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:42 pm 

faro wrote:
red_bus wrote:No more late nights out in the pub for me for (quite) a while.  :)

Hey, I thought you were still on packet noodles after that crazy woodgrain auction!

Or is the alcohol the last thing to be given up? ;)

Well, I really am going to have to cut back soon.  I am leaving work to be a student again for a year.  So it really will be rice and beans.  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:44 pm 

Formerly Known As Morno wrote:
faro wrote:Many thanks for the inspirational artwork (and there were some pretty neat A&E covers, Dragon illos, etc., to add to that resume, too).

Thanks for the note, Brad. I googled that since it didn't ring a bell. No pics, though...
Any chance you could post a scan of that, please?

Must admit I have a strong liking for the style of your earlier works, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. Happy to change my mind :)
Had seen the gallery on your website some time back when Mike <invincibleoverlord> (I think it was) tracked you down. Never quite the same as IRL, though.

btw. Hadn't realised how young y'all were back then at Wee Warriors. Kudos for participating in that endeavor :)

=
aside: I presume you've been quizzed 'bout any memories you might have re. printing order and stuffs like that.
As a trivia question, aside, however; and in case any of those ever appear, any recollection as to how many commissions you did off the back of those Cosmic Frog ads in the early CAs and A&E #8 (IIRC)? And did you keep doing those through '77/8 and beyond?
(*g*. Suspect you might charge a bit more nowadays, though! :cool:)

Cheers,
David.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:47 pm 

red_bus wrote:Well, I really am going to have to cut back soon.  I am leaving work to be a student again for a year.  So it really will be rice and beans.  :)

Hey, that's one step up from packet noodles.
So ya must have enough cash left in the kitty to fit in one more goodie, before then? ;)

Interesting "career move", btw: trust that'll work out for you!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:49 pm 

faro wrote:
red_bus wrote:Well, I really am going to have to cut back soon.  I am leaving work to be a student again for a year.  So it really will be rice and beans.  :)

Hey, that's one step up from packet noodles.
So ya must have enough cash left in the kitty to fit in one more goodie, before then? ;)

Interesting "career move", btw: trust that'll work out for you!

hey reddy you could always come for a stroll on the beach with me in just over a week and tell me all about your wins :)

honest it is only a beach really and it wont be too hot...just nice for a tan.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:55 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

You taking a beach ball?  
Wouldn't weigh too much  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:07 pm 

faro wrote:Thanks for the note, Brad. I googled that since it didn't ring a bell. No pics, though...
Any chance you could post a scan of that, please?
btw. Hadn't realised how young y'all were back then at Wee Warriors. Kudos for participating in that endeavor :)
aside: I presume you've been quizzed 'bout any memories you might have re. printing order and stuffs like that.
As a trivia question, aside, however; and in case any of those ever appear, any recollection as to how many commissions you did off the back of those Cosmic Frog ads in the early CAs and A&E #8 (IIRC)? And did you keep doing those through '77/8 and beyond?
(*g*. Suspect you might charge a bit more nowadays, though! :cool:)

The "Spell Book" cover:

...I haven't looked at it in years.  Among the many things I've forgotten is that it was the newsletter of Mensa's "Fantasy Gaming Special Interest Group".  This was the Winter '83 issue, and it featured a review of "The Dark Crystal" by Richard Aronson.
Corey and his wife bought several of my paintings, but they always wanted the ones I wanted to keep for myself.  Twice they managed to be around when I needed the money badly enough to sell those not-for-sale pictures.   The second time Corey bargained a couple of Spell Book covers out of me in addition to the painting, and I don't think I ever did the second one.  Hmm.  Years later we ended up working for the same computer game company, but we were still hundreds of miles apart.

As to Cosmic Frog, I think I only did a couple of pictures through those ads.  After WW I mostly sold pictures at the art shows at science fiction conventions, and did some commissions for my patrons there; and of course later I did freelance work.  But around '88 I shifted to digital art, mainly for game companies, and I did less and less traditional work after that.  Every few years I play around with ink again, but my hands have forgotten everything they knew about watercolor.

And yes, I was pretty young back then.  I would have been 17 when the Character Archaic came out.

Bradley W. Schenck
(the artist formerly known as Morno - isn't there a symbol for that?)
Webomator Blog

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:29 pm 

I had figured them for $550-$600 each. Prices were much higher because Morno was selling them. If it was a different seller, they'd have topped at $350-$400 at best.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:46 pm 

faro wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:I thought I had put in some pretty way out bids!  Once again a dollar short :cry:

Indeed you had!
Cheer up; that was a full bid increment ($10), actually, and I'm pretty sure the max bid was quite a bit higher.

Thought my $200-300 snipes were plenty high, to be honest! :lol:

Heh, funny I did too. :oops:   My snipe were set incrementally $303, $293, & $273.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:07 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
faro wrote:Thought my $200-300 snipes were plenty high, to be honest! :lol:

Heh, funny I did too. :oops:   My snipe were set incrementally $303, $293, & $273.

*rechecks*. Ah, forgot I bumped the first two, Brian.
(PotVQ $352, Dwarven $335, Misty $240).

Happy to see Bill's bids, btw. Strange how those from people I used to think went in for power bidding now seem relatively sane! *jk*

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:18 pm 

Just like to flag up The Spell Book as a fanzine for whoever is cataloguing these in secret (I know you're out there). I had thought it might be a supplement.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:10 am 

red_bus wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

You taking a beach ball?  
Wouldn't weigh too much  :)

lol a beach ball  :D

i dont think i will have the energy to blow the bloody thing up mate :)

just on a fun side note - apparently each year - when everyone is kicked out of their sleeping bags at 5.30am, the french all come out with a rendition of that awful song "hey baby" by that DJ guy.

us brits are planning a haka :D so it should be an absolute blast :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:18 am 

quote]

just on a fun side note - apparently each year - when everyone is kicked out of their sleeping bags at 5.30am, the french all come out with a rendition of that awful song "hey baby" by that DJ guy.

us brits are planning a haka :D so it should be an absolute blast :)

Al[/quote]

I would have thought they sang "Surrender" by U2. What is a haka, Al? Isn't that one of those hairy brown things my cat pukes up?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:25 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I would have thought they sang "Surrender" by U2. What is a haka, Al? Isn't that one of those hairy brown things my cat pukes up?

hehe frank you are funny - you make me laugh so much :D

the Haka, is that maori thing that the Kiwi's do before the rugby matches.....surely you musta seen it at some point ?

try here: http://www.newzealand.com/travel/about- ... e/haka.cfm

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:02 am 

Yes! That is EXACTLY what my cat's face looks like! I knew it!

PreviousNext