grodog's visiting Italy in June
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:52 pm 

Our family will be in Italy for a cousin's wedding in June, and we'll be making stops in Vicenza, Venice, Florence, and Rome.  

Are any of the Italian members near those cities?  I'd also appreciate any pointers to local gaming shops in the area, if any :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:48 pm 

I'm in Pisa, about one hour from Firenze, which is what you call Florence. (BTW, are you coming to Italy without visiting the Leaning Tower? How strange!)

Don't expect to find great RPG shops in Italy, however there is one in Verona (close to Vicenza) called "I Giochi dei Grandi" (don't know where, I've never been in Verona), one in the center of Florence called "Stratagemma" (by the Dome), and one in Rome called "Strategia e Tattica" (a 10 minute walk away from the Colosseum).

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:09 pm 

I am sure you have probably fixed up accomodation in Venice already.  But if not, I would recommend staying at La Calcina.  It is where Ruskin stayed when he was there (although I think after he wrote the Stones of Venice).

http://www.lacalcina.com/

Not too full of tourists, and they have very comfy beds.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:07 pm 

red_bus wrote:I am sure you have probably fixed up accomodation in Venice already.  But if not, I would recommend staying at La Calcina.  It is where Ruskin stayed when he was there (although I think after he wrote the Stones of Venice).

Unless you have a huge amount of money to trash away, in which case you can go to the renowned Danieli (http://danieli.hotelinvenice.com/).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:24 pm 

guerret wrote:
red_bus wrote:I am sure you have probably fixed up accomodation in Venice already.  But if not, I would recommend staying at La Calcina.  It is where Ruskin stayed when he was there (although I think after he wrote the Stones of Venice).

Unless you have a huge amount of money to trash away, in which case you can go to the renowned Danieli (http://danieli.hotelinvenice.com/).

When we were in Venice a couple years back we were staying in the Gritti Palace and the canals flooded spilling into the lobby and dining room.  There was about two feet of water covering the the entire first floor.  I've never been to another five star hotel where the staff were all wearing hip-waders.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:40 pm 

guerret wrote:

Hey!  I remember walking past that place and thinking "I wonder how expensive it must be to stay there!

To be honest, even the cheapest hotel in Venice was too expensive - we ended up spending the whole day on foot and leaving by train in the evening.

By the way, Pisa was beautiful and one of the friendliest cities we recall from Europe.  I remember my wife (then fiancee) falling asleep on the lawns in front of the Duomo and the Tower as twilight began to fall.

I believe we stayed at the Albergo Gronchi hotel (which was a great budget accomodation).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:26 pm 

As long as it was the light and not the Tower, that would be great.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:19 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:As long as it was the light and not the Tower, that would be great.

That's one of those quips that kind of sneaks up on you . . .  :D  

I had to stare at it for a bit, but once it dawned I me, it brought a good chuckle.

:)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:55 am 

grodog wrote:Our family will be in Italy for a cousin's wedding in June, and we'll be making stops in Vicenza, Venice, Florence, and Rome.  

Are any of the Italian members near those cities?  I'd also appreciate any pointers to local gaming shops in the area, if any :D

I live in Brescia, so not too far from Venezia and Vicenza. It would be beautiful meeting an Acaeum fellow member in person. No, I'm not telling this because I have a game shop  :wink:

More, if you are interested we could arrange some trades (I still have Italian language stuff to sell and, if a project of ours goes right, we will have much more  :D ) withouth enriching the Post Offices. Send me MP if you want.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:08 pm 

grodog wrote:Our family will be in Italy for a cousin's wedding in June, and we'll be making stops in Vicenza, Venice, Florence, and Rome.  

I usually live in Siena (because I work there) but my home is near Reggio Emilia (between Milan and Bologna ...).
BTW, Allan, if you'll be in Italy on the 3rd of June, and one wedding is not enough for you, I'll get married that day ...  :)

... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:22 pm 

Hi guys---

We're heading out on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll be able to see some of you there.  

Radagast, we are visiting Siena too, though not on the 3rd of June.  Congratulations on your wedding :D :D :D

Sotterraneo, we're arriving in Vicenza on May 31st and staying there through June 3rd (on the 2nd and 3rd we're day-tripping in Venice from Vicenza), and then back there again at the of our trip (which is when the wedding is).  The remainder of the itinerary runs like this:

• June 4th = day trip in Florence
  • June 5th = in Siena
  • June 6th-9th = in Rome, Naples/Pompeii/Herculaneum
  • June 10th-13 = in Vicenza for the wedding

I'd be happy to try to visit with local Italian Acaeum members, though I'm not likely to be bringing any trade bait---we're packing quite lightly wherever possible.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:55 pm 

grodog wrote:June 4th = day trip in Florence

So sad... when we went to Italy, we rearranged our plans so we could spend 4-5 days in Firenze.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:57 pm 

Have a great trip, Allan.

I'm extremely envious.  My family is from Tuscany, and I'm trying very hard to arrange to go back.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:23 am 

Apparently we were being too ambitious in our city-hopping, so Florence had to be cut down; this will simply whet our appetite to go back later, I'm sure :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:26 am 

grodog wrote:Apparently we were being too ambitious in our city-hopping, so Florence had to be cut down; this will simply whet our appetite to go back later, I'm sure :D

A very seasoned traveller friend of mine said that Florence was the most beautiful city he had been to.  Never been myself though.

I loved Naples.  A bit rough in parts.  But I liked the edginess of the place.  And fantastic ice-cream.

A word of warning.  When the green man says go, don't believe him.  You're just as likley to get run over.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:41 am 

johnhuck wrote:A very seasoned traveller friend of mine said that Florence was the most beautiful city he had been to.

My wife went last year with her mother — both said the same thing. It must be quite the place ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:36 am 

grodog wrote:Hi guys---

We're heading out on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll be able to see some of you there.  

Radagast, we are visiting Siena too, though not on the 3rd of June.  Congratulations on your wedding :D :D :D

Sotterraneo, we're arriving in Vicenza on May 31st and staying there through June 3rd (on the 2nd and 3rd we're day-tripping in Venice from Vicenza), and then back there again at the of our trip (which is when the wedding is).  The remainder of the itinerary runs like this:

• June 4th = day trip in Florence
  • June 5th = in Siena
  • June 6th-9th = in Rome, Naples/Pompeii/Herculaneum
  • June 10th-13 = in Vicenza for the wedding

I'd be happy to try to visit with local Italian Acaeum members, though I'm not likely to be bringing any trade bait---we're packing quite lightly wherever possible.

Certain that you don't want to rearrange your trip and be in Pisa for the 4th of June? We have the Sea Republics that day, a historical manifestation recalling the ancient wars between four Italian cities (Amalfi, Pisa, Genova and Venezia) for the control of the sea. It is held each year in one of the four cities cyclically, and this year it happens to be in Pisa. It's about one hour away from Firenze.

Just a suggestion, though.