How will growing older affect your gaming?
Poll: How will growing older affect your gaming?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:58 pm
Irrelevant, cos I am not going to get much older - yeah man! live fast die young. 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
I reckon I will be gaming more often. 19%       19%  [ 8 ]
No difference. 29%       29%  [ 12 ]
I reckon I will be gaming less often. 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
I am/plan to get my kids/grandchildren to try roleplaying games/D&D. 38%       38%  [ 16 ]
Tabletop gaming will not exist in 10 or 15 years, no one will play. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 42

Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:44 pm 

Some of my roleplaying group are not far short of 50 so we're in it for the long haul I think! As you get older once a week is all you have time for *cough* :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:57 pm 

I found that I went from the adventuring to the campaigning aspect when I discovered Age of Wonders. It offers a lot of the same attractions. You can create maps, rig events and encounters, sort of playing the spider in the center of the web.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:38 pm 

Has the thought of getting together periodically online with webcams ocurred to anyone?  I mean, there is a lot of brainpower in this forum.  Sure it would be a little different and there is the lag (which will probably disappear as time wears on and tech becomes even faster), but I think the benefit of playing with a super group of minds would override the flaws...

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:44 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:But the sad thing is that by the time they get old enough to write them for you, they'll need to hold your pencil for you too. I'll be 54 when my son is 20. Christ, my bones creak now, I can't imagine the damage 15 years will do.
Anyone ever see the X-Files episode where a guy uploads his mind to a network of computers? THAT'S what I want. Let my body just rot away, and put my mind in a virtual D&D world. As long as it isn't 3E (shivers).
You might have the chance Frank.  Does anyone recall the French (I think) company that is working on cloning humans?  I remember a wild haired middle-agish woman revealing that the company's goal was not only to clone humans, but to clone themselves AND learn how to download their memories into another viable body (i.e.  the clone).  According to her/their theory, one's mind could become immortal.  One would be able to end your host's life at say thirty to forty when the body starts to change (i.e. metabolism slows, cartilage erodes, muscle generation ends) and download into another say 18 year old clone.  Fascinating...but scary stuff...

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:23 pm 

morgansurname wrote:You might have the chance Frank.  Does anyone recall the French (I think) company that is working on cloning humans?  I remember a wild haired middle-agish woman revealing that the company's goal was not only to clone humans, but to clone themselves AND learn how to download their memories into another viable body (i.e.  the clone).  According to her/their theory, one's mind could become immortal.  One would be able to end your host's life at say thirty to forty when the body starts to change (i.e. metabolism slows, cartilage erodes, muscle generation ends) and download into another say 18 year old clone.  Fascinating...but scary stuff...

Maybe you are talking about Raël & the Raelites... I higly doubt it is a good plan.
You know, french companies are not always reliable.
:wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:32 pm 

I would think that if you drained the hippocampus of fluid and put it in another body, it would be the same as immortality. Think about it, what are we? A collection of memories.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:46 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Anyone ever see the X-Files episode where a guy uploads his mind to a network of computers? THAT'S what I want. Let my body just rot away, and put my mind in a virtual D&D world. As long as it isn't 3E (shivers).

:lol:

How could I have missed that, first time around! :D

Previous