How will growing older affect your gaming?
Poll: How will growing older affect your gaming?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:58 pm
Irrelevant, cos I am not going to get much older - yeah man! live fast die young. 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
I reckon I will be gaming more often. 19%       19%  [ 8 ]
No difference. 29%       29%  [ 12 ]
I reckon I will be gaming less often. 10%       10%  [ 4 ]
I am/plan to get my kids/grandchildren to try roleplaying games/D&D. 38%       38%  [ 16 ]
Tabletop gaming will not exist in 10 or 15 years, no one will play. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 42

Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:58 am 

Hi all.  

I am in my late thirties.  I figure that if I was going to grow out of this hobby I would have done it long ago.  Then, last week, I was chatting to a friend that I game with on an irregular basis, about what might happen when we get older.  When we are 60 or 70 will we still play D&D?  Will we do it less?  More?

What do you think?  This is not just a question for those who still game, it may be that you don't or rarely game now, but anticipate doing so in the future.

Regards.

Steven.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:12 pm 

I'm in my mid-forties with a family on the way. I don't plan to to much D&D around the kids when they are young. That being said, however, I think D&D is one of the best hobbies anyone can have. It is a game of conversation, discussion, fantasy, magic, and imagination. I will continue to play when I can, and in the future (when their mother and I agree they are old enough) I will certainly teach my children how to play.

Why do we always have to attack uphill?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:51 pm 

I would like to teach my daughter the game. I don't know if she'll have much of an interest though. She is only 3, so it will be a while. Then again, she does know how to use a mouse already.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:05 pm 

I am in my mid-thirties and I dont game now.  I dont really have time and I dont know anyone near enough to play regularly.  Hopefully I will have more time as I get older.

You see all these elderly people in movies playing games like chess and checkers.  When our generation gets to that point they will be playing D&D and Risk instead.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 pm 

Certainly when people are retired they will have loads more time.  And it is lack of time that stops me gaming more now.  

But, will I have the energy for it?  Or will I just want a nice warm blanket and a cup of tea?  (hmm, that sounds like me now, not when I am retired...  :) )

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:39 pm 

My son's 4 1/2, and we play T&T once a week now. He loves rolling the dice, of course, but he also likes  choosing what to do. I read the options to him and he picks.
To be hinest, that is the majority of the reason I collected the T&T stuff. That and being able to game on the crapper.
I'll game till I die, which most likely will be long before I reach 70.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:46 pm 

Just bought my soon-to-be-born daughter a fuzzy plush d20. :)

(I'll tell the uninformed it's to help her learn her numbers...)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:54 pm 

Same for me, every Saturday night!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:10 pm 

In the short period, say for the next years, I think I will be able to keep playing regularly. However, I'm pretty positive that in the long run my gaming will decrease, especially after I get a regular job and position who-knows-where.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm 

Six old men sitting in an retirement home, three of them in nappies and one in a wheelchair, no manuals, arguing about the rules they just made up anyway and trying to 'adapt' the game to suit the 2d6 they pinched from the Monopoly set.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:44 pm 

I have this growing feeling that time is a-wasting.  I want to play more and more often the older I get.  My goal is to train up my kids and infect them with the enthusiasm I felt as a youngster so they will write their own adventures and DM them for me.  Man, that would be sweet.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:54 pm 

But the sad thing is that by the time they get old enough to write them for you, they'll need to hold your pencil for you too. I'll be 54 when my son is 20. Christ, my bones creak now, I can't imagine the damage 15 years will do.
Anyone ever see the X-Files episode where a guy uploads his mind to a network of computers? THAT'S what I want. Let my body just rot away, and put my mind in a virtual D&D world. As long as it isn't 3E (shivers).

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:29 am 

I still game now...every Saturday night.

I have a friend who wants to stay in the Army until his officer's pension kicks in at 20 years...then he plans to move back here and game full time.

My best friend has often said, "Oh, what games we'll have in the old folks home!  What games!"

I have not told him yet:  I am convinced that the game of choice in the old folks home....I mean, sign out the box days in advance and fight to keep it....will be....vintage Axis and Allies.  

"Ha!  Two sixes!  And that means I got...heavy bombers and....long range aircraft!  WOO HOO!  Can we have pudding now?"

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 am 

i play the odd game with a few friends and my daughter joins in. loves the game and always wants to play.

my youngest, she is only 7 and is dying to play, but doesnt understand yet, so there is time :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 am 

I voted for the will not change. But I don't play now. Three kids and running my own business does not leave time for much.

I might get together with the old group once or twice a year to play something, but that is about it.

It isn't the age, but the other commitments. The old gaming group guys who are not married or are and have no kids, still get together once a month or more and game. Pretty sad, when I can't even find time for that.

Now when they start heading off to college...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:01 am 

I used to play weekly, for years on end.  For a few years, as a DM, I ran two completely different campaign groups that met a couple of times a month.  Since then, wives have changed, kids have grown and jobs have changed.  Other committments have surfaced and time stayed fixed, as a result I don't game now - just collect.  Pity!

Gary H. Kramer

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:46 pm 

I imagine I'll train my kids and/or nieces/nephews.

But definitely when I retire I plan to go crazy...retirement not being until about age 70, unfortunately.  :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:04 pm 

I imagine I will have more time to play....AS A RETIREE.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Next