Why are so many people on Ebay morons?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:56 am 

Only two minor issues in five years on Ebay. Sold a very rare Citadel boxed set of figures which I'd stated I would only ship to UK. Some fool in France won won the item and it took me four weeks to get him to send me sterling through the post and even after all the aggravation I went to he still didn't leave me feedback of any kind! The really annoying thing was his English was perfect during our exchange of emails so he knew full well he shouldn't have been bidding in the first place!

Similar thing happened two weeks ago with another French buyer winning an item he shouldn't have been bidding on as it was listed as ship to UK only. He immediately went straight to paypal and paid on the spot meaning that I took a hit on the postage. He must have known the postage would been increased for mail to France. I just had this weird feeling of deja-vu (ironically hehe!) and sent the damn thing without even telling him to read the auction properly next time. At least he left postive feedback although he left it in French meaning that a) UK buyers won't understand it and b) French buyers will assume I often ship there.

Starting to suspect the French are out to get me :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:20 am 

Lewisexi wrote:Only two minor issues in five years on Ebay. Sold a very rare Citadel boxed set of figures which I'd stated I would only ship to UK. Some fool in France won won the item and it took me four weeks to get him to send me sterling through the post and even after all the aggravation I went to he still didn't leave me feedback of any kind! The really annoying thing was his English was perfect during our exchange of emails so he knew full well he shouldn't have been bidding in the first place!

Similar thing happened two weeks ago with another French buyer winning an item he shouldn't have been bidding on as it was listed as ship to UK only. He immediately went straight to paypal and paid on the spot meaning that I took a hit on the postage. He must have known the postage would been increased for mail to France. I just had this weird feeling of deja-vu (ironically hehe!) and sent the damn thing without even telling him to read the auction properly next time. At least he left postive feedback although he left it in French meaning that a) UK buyers won't understand it and b) French buyers will assume I often ship there.

Starting to suspect the French are out to get me :D

One option is to put a premium in the shipping to france. Just add an extra shipping item to your regular shipping section, select France only in the tick boxes, and set the postage and packing to £20.

That way if sopmeone from France buys your item, they already know the shipping is £20 and it shows up on their eBay page when they're watching your item.

I too have had a lot of problems with French buyers. With the exception of two Acaeum members who have been great, all the rest have been assholes. My parents run a business selling on eBay and they block french bidders completely.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:41 am 

Had some guy buy a "heavily worn" DM screen from me a while back. Now, I try to go out of my way to describe stuff and even give it a number grade with a scale on every auction. DM screen sells for about $4 and I don't think twice about it until a month later when this neutral feedback shows up saying the item was in worse condition than he expected. I had already left positive feedback when it was shipped. So I email the guy and ask WTF... All he had to do was drop me an email and I would have either sent him a better copy or ship back and I'll refund...even though there was no way I was in the wrong. There was a clear picture, extremely accurate description and grading scale. Guy emails me back that its no big deal just a neutral and that I was being too sensitive. F..k him. I am not the vindictive sort, but I am still pissed about this a-hole...that is all I'm gonna say.

These guys are out there. I have never had an item that was shipped to a U.S. or Canada destination get lost. Had at least 2 go to France disappear and two to South America. Got negged on all them even though I refunded their money. How is that for justice.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:35 am 

Badmike wrote:
TheElderEye wrote:I just had to vent, after 6+ years on ebay and a few hundred transactions I finally got some moron leaving me a negative comment.  Never even bothered to complain or ask for a refund.  

He bids on a MERP supplement listed as FAIR with a cover that had come loose, moisture warping damage, spine creases with an unmarked interior and says it was wasn't descibed accurately, and then no email or anything he just leaves a negative.   I get so sick of dealing with people that don't read the details of the auction, bid to much and then get all irritated and act like complete a**es.  

I know I don't have to ask anyone else dealt with an ebay moron?

My first neg was from a newbie that was upset I didn't send an invoice for a sale within 24 hours (Ebay gives you three days). As an added bonus he called me a thief and a liar because of this.  I believe it was the very first buy he had ever made on Ebay and he really had no way how the system worked, he apologized profusely when I explained I had up to three days to send a invoice, but the neg feedback stayed because back then they didn't have the mutual withdrawl program.
    Short of blocking all 0 feedback bidders (which I believe you can do now), there is no way to avoid idiot newbie Ebay buyers...

Mike B.

Yeah but this guy has been on ebay for a couple of years and has 200 feedbacks, no negatives - but when you check the comments left for others you see he is a whiner - lots of neutral comments and negatives.  :roll:  Ebay doesn't have a "whiner" or may "jerk" filter yet.  In my 6 years buying on ebay I've only left one negative feedback - and that was because the guy never shipped my module (along with many other peoples).  Most folks are always willing to refund your money and I always read the auctions carefully - something I'm sure many folks don't do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:42 am 

People I would like to block from bidding on my auctions....

1. People with less than 10 feedback comments.
2. People with more than 5 negative feedback.
3. People who have left more than 2 negative feedbacks within the last month.
4. People with an 'Unconfirmed' PayPal address.
5. People with an IQ less that 100.

If you know how to block any of these, please let me know.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:44 am 

bbarsh wrote:Had some guy buy a "heavily worn" DM screen from me a while back. Now, I try to go out of my way to describe stuff and even give it a number grade with a scale on every auction. DM screen sells for about $4 and I don't think twice about it until a month later when this neutral feedback shows up saying the item was in worse condition than he expected. I had already left positive feedback when it was shipped. So I email the guy and ask WTF... All he had to do was drop me an email and I would have either sent him a better copy or ship back and I'll refund...even though there was no way I was in the wrong. There was a clear picture, extremely accurate description and grading scale. Guy emails me back that its no big deal just a neutral and that I was being too sensitive. F..k him. I am not the vindictive sort, but I am still pissed about this a-hole...that is all I'm gonna say.

These guys are out there. I have never had an item that was shipped to a U.S. or Canada destination get lost. Had at least 2 go to France disappear and two to South America. Got negged on all them even though I refunded their money. How is that for justice.

Exactly, I had posted my positive feedback, then with out warning his negative.  The description had 4 or five flaws listed including the water damage with the only positive about the adventure its unmarked interior.  His comment was "Horrible, worse than described, almost useless".  How can something be worse than described when it has a laundry list of defects and how is a complete item with all its maps and a unmarked interior useless??!!  I emailed him and said as much and also flatly told him I would have refunded his cash had he just emailed me about the problem.  

I have a friend that trades on ebay in the Star Wars toys section, he is one of those guys that is a gem encrusted powerseller :lol:   He told me that he found that if he left his feedback after getting one from the other guy it cut down on petty negatives from jerks and newbies.  I think he said that he had two early negatives and then since adopting the policy he hasn't had one.  I'm thinking of doing the same instead of leaving comments when an auction is paid for.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:48 am 

TheElderEye wrote:
Badmike wrote:
TheElderEye wrote:I just had to vent, after 6+ years on ebay and a few hundred transactions I finally got some moron leaving me a negative comment.  Never even bothered to complain or ask for a refund.  

He bids on a MERP supplement listed as FAIR with a cover that had come loose, moisture warping damage, spine creases with an unmarked interior and says it was wasn't descibed accurately, and then no email or anything he just leaves a negative.   I get so sick of dealing with people that don't read the details of the auction, bid to much and then get all irritated and act like complete a**es.  

I know I don't have to ask anyone else dealt with an ebay moron?

My first neg was from a newbie that was upset I didn't send an invoice for a sale within 24 hours (Ebay gives you three days). As an added bonus he called me a thief and a liar because of this.  I believe it was the very first buy he had ever made on Ebay and he really had no way how the system worked, he apologized profusely when I explained I had up to three days to send a invoice, but the neg feedback stayed because back then they didn't have the mutual withdrawl program.
    Short of blocking all 0 feedback bidders (which I believe you can do now), there is no way to avoid idiot newbie Ebay buyers...

Mike B.

Yeah but this guy has been on ebay for a couple of years and has 200 feedbacks, no negatives - but when you check the comments left for others you see he is a whiner - lots of neutral comments and negatives.  :roll:  Ebay doesn't have a "whiner" or may "jerk" filter yet.  In my 6 years buying on ebay I've only left one negative feedback - and that was because the guy never shipped my module (along with many other peoples).  Most folks are always willing to refund your money and I always read the auctions carefully - something I'm sure many folks don't do.

Just as a note, and not to take away from what is clearly a BS neg, but check out his feedback. Although he has been registered on EBay for around a year and a half,  he has only been buying for around 4 months.   Also, as you have noted he is clearly a whiner.  It is seeing these types of folks that have made me adjust my own feedback policy a bit.  I used to leave positive feedback immediately up payment reciept, but due to seeing these types of situations I no longer automatically do it. I still leave positive feedback right away in 99% of situations, but before doing so I check the feedfbacks of the buyer both recieved and left to see if there is a pattern of this type of behavior.  Upon reviewing the buyers feedback assuming to this point he does not appear to be a "risk", I continue on to post immediate positive feedback.  If upon review, I see that this buyer has many problems in the past and hold a real possibility of negging me without contacting me first, I wait until I get feedback before leaving mine.  I used to be a firm believer in the seller leaving feedback first and for the most part I still am in that camp, but seeing these types of situations has certainly made me wary of blindly leaving positive feedback without at least looking into the buyers previous behaivor first.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:54 am 

I checked out your feedback and noticed the name of the guy that left the neg.  I have outbid him on a few MERP items recently including the Valar and Maiar sourcebook I just won from you.  Not that it will erase the neg or anything but once I get the items I won I will leave such shining, positive praise that maybe people won't even notice the neg.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:33 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:People I would like to block from bidding on my auctions....

1. People with less than 10 feedback comments.
2. People with more than 5 negative feedback.
3. People who have left more than 2 negative feedbacks within the last month.
4. People with an 'Unconfirmed' PayPal address.
5. People with an IQ less that 100.

If you know how to block any of these, please let me know.

yeah i am about the same, cept for the 10, i think mine is about 5 i think

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:49 pm 

Hello,
I received this item and was quite disappointed. According to your very detailed grading system a classification of 6 does NOT have any ink marks etc... when opening the module I found that the former owner's name was in ink on the inside of the cover and on the first page of BOTH booklets. Needless to say I would like to resolve this issue to mutual satisfaction. Please e mail me with your suggestions so we may finish this transaction without further complication. Thank you very much,
Sebastian

Fresh off my ebay messages today. Here is the link to the item description:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... S%3A1&rd=1

8O

In the Condition section it clearly states what this guy is complaing about.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:08 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
Hello,
I received this item and was quite disappointed. According to your very detailed grading system a classification of 6 does NOT have any ink marks etc... when opening the module I found that the former owner's name was in ink on the inside of the cover and on the first page of BOTH booklets. Needless to say I would like to resolve this issue to mutual satisfaction. Please e mail me with your suggestions so we may finish this transaction without further complication. Thank you very much,
Sebastian

Fresh off my ebay messages today. Here is the link to the item description:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... S%3A1&rd=1

8O
In the Condition section it clearly states what this guy is complaing about.

I guess you can never really compensate for the buyer flat out not reading the description. :roll:  Regardless though my return email would say something like this:

bclarkie wrote:Hi Sebastian, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the item that you received. If you look at the auction desription though, it clearly states there that there is in fact the owners name written in ink on the booklets. Regardless of that fact though, since that you are unhappy with your purchase, please feel free to return the item to me for a full refund.  Sorry again for your disappointment. Brian

To me these types of circumstances arrise a lot of times from a buyer who still wants the item, but is looking to get a partial refund to reduce his bid total. As a seller, only under extreme circumstances do I give partial refunds, but I will give full reimberment as well as shipping for a return of the item.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:04 pm 

fwiw, I abandoned all grading systems years ago. There seem to be nearly as many systems as there are buyers.

At GenCon, and now on eBay, I simply describe the item in detail. Collectibles get excruciating detail, and all questions answered; commons get a general blurb. I diss my own items frequently, picking at every flaw. This takes more time (especially for eB writeups), but it's worked best for me, over 20+ years doing the GC auction.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:56 pm 

I don't like coming up with rating systems either.  But in the case of your auction, bbarsh, you have conflicting information.  You clearly say that the name is written inside but you also clearly say that the item has a rating of 6.  In your description, a name inside should be at best a 5 - you actually use the example of a name inside for this rating.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:07 pm 

Well, if it makes you feel better, I was happy with the items I got from you this last round Eye.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:25 am 

Issue resolved. That buyer went back and checked the item description and sent me a very nice message. I also noticed he bought a M&T from me with the same grade and same kind of detraction noted in the description.

If the problem were on my side I would have refunded wit return. But I already got stuck with ebay and paypal fees for the thing, so I was a little reluctant to just give in. He also left pos. feedback after the message. Sometimes, things work out. I offered him free shipping on anything he purchased from my current ebay load. Seemed fair to me.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:30 am 

That's good to hear.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:05 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Issue resolved. That buyer went back and checked the item description and sent me a very nice message. I also noticed he bought a M&T from me with the same grade and same kind of detraction noted in the description.

If the problem were on my side I would have refunded wit return. But I already got stuck with ebay and paypal fees for the thing, so I was a little reluctant to just give in. He also left pos. feedback after the message. Sometimes, things work out. I offered him free shipping on anything he purchased from my current ebay load. Seemed fair to me.

nice one BB. i would have took exactly the same stance as bclarkie said. i dont read the gradings most times, but take note of what the seller says tho.

its a good point what Frank M says. you cant beat a descriptive comment.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:29 am 

TheElderEye wrote:

I have a friend that trades on ebay in the Star Wars toys section, he is one of those guys that is a gem encrusted powerseller :lol:   He told me that he found that if he left his feedback after getting one from the other guy it cut down on petty negatives from jerks and newbies.  I think he said that he had two early negatives and then since adopting the policy he hasn't had one.  I'm thinking of doing the same instead of leaving comments when an auction is paid for.

I have done a complete 180 on this.  When I first started on ebay 8 years ago, I left positive feedback as soon as I received payment.  Now I will only leave it after receiving positive feedback from the buyer (unless it's an Acaeum member I know).  In the last few years, feedback blackmail has been rearing it's ugly head more and more, i.e. "If I dont' get the item by tomorrow I'm leaving a neg"; "There was one small mark on the cover of this item so I am leaving a neg if you don't refund me"; "This isn't exactly what I wanted so I'm leaving a neg"; etc.  It was getting ridiculous.  Now everything flows smoothlyand I don't have to worry about someone leaving a Neg until they talk with me first, which is all a good seller wants anyway, since 100% of the time I can solve the problem.

Mike B.

PreviousNext