Silver Anniversary Set
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:00 pm 

Just getting back to the SA sets vs Fazzle discussion (sorry, came in late), I have to say what Deimos says makes a lot of sense.

Using no maths whatsoever in my argument, I would say the reason you see more Fazzles on the block than Easley SA sets is due to the time they were produced. The guys who bought the Fazzles 28 years ago are now aged what - 50 or 60? They collected in their youth, and have now reached the age where either collecting holds no appeal for them, or they need the cash. So they look at the stuff they have in the closet and put it up on ebay.

The SA sets though were only bought 5 or 6 years ago, by guys in their collecting prime. I would bet that there are several hundred (at least) of these sets in closets, but they haven't yet reached the point where they will return to market - the owners are still actively collecting, and the current value of the sets (say $100-150) isn't enough for them to sell - you'd have to think the current value of a Fazzle is clear motivation to get those on the block and cash in while its a desired item.

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:03 pm 

anyway, should these discussions not be moved onto the chit chat thread so we can look at interesting items on ebay here? :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:43 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Just getting back to the SA sets vs Fazzle discussion (sorry, came in late), I have to say what Deimos says makes a lot of sense.

Using no maths whatsoever in my argument, I would say the reason you see more Fazzles on the block than Easley SA sets is due to the time they were produced. The guys who bought the Fazzles 28 years ago are now aged what - 50 or 60? They collected in their youth, and have now reached the age where either collecting holds no appeal for them, or they need the cash. So they look at the stuff they have in the closet and put it up on ebay.

The SA sets though were only bought 5 or 6 years ago, by guys in their collecting prime. I would bet that there are several hundred (at least) of these sets in closets, but they haven't yet reached the point where they will return to market - the owners are still actively collecting, and the current value of the sets (say $100-150) isn't enough for them to sell - you'd have to think the current value of a Fazzle is clear motivation to get those on the block and cash in while its a desired item.

Regards

Mike

Only problem with this line of thought is that people were collecting TSR modules back then. I can tell you from experience, they were not. Those of us who were lucky enough to  buy our tourney modules at the time of issue, did so for no other reason than we wanted to take them back and play them.

I think more people bought the SA in order to collect them. More and more of these will surface as time goes on.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:08 pm 

bombadil wrote:Assuming the survival rates of Fazzle and Silver Ann are what Tyson stated (approx 87% an 60%, respectively), this is what the remaining numbers look like after comparable periods on the market:

[ Image ]

Relative to length of time on the market, the signed Silver Ann is rarer than Fazzlewood.

Does that curve assume that the rate of Fazzle's disappearing/being trashed/lost/thrown away/etc. is very low/zero?  Given its low production values, if 1-5 Fazzles per year are recycled/trashed/etc., that would have a greater impact on the number of possible copies, as well as the number of surviving copies.  Given that Fazzle's pretty bland looking, it could easily be tossed out with the "rest of that junk from when I was 19"  :cry:

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:18 pm 

grodog wrote:
bombadil wrote:Assuming the survival rates of Fazzle and Silver Ann are what Tyson stated (approx 87% an 60%, respectively), this is what the remaining numbers look like after comparable periods on the market:

[ Image ]

Relative to length of time on the market, the signed Silver Ann is rarer than Fazzlewood.

Does that curve assume that the rate of Fazzle's disappearing/being trashed/lost/thrown away/etc. is very low/zero?  Given its low production values, if 1-5 Fazzles per year are recycled/trashed/etc., that would have a greater impact on the number of possible copies, as well as the number of surviving copies.  Given that Fazzle's pretty bland looking, it could easily be tossed out with the "rest of that junk from when I was 19"  :cry:

It assumes approximately 13% of the remaining Fazzles are destroyed each year.  The 87% survival rate was based on 300 existing in the first place, and 10 existing in 2005, and using an exponential curve.  If any of that is untrue, the result is of course untrue.  And of course the real rate would fluctuate.

I would guess with Fazzle, a greater % got trashed near the beginning, and then it started to become rare, and less have been trashed recently.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:31 am 

anyway, should these discussions not be moved onto the chit chat thread so we can look at interesting items on ebay here?  

Would be nice  :wink:  :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:24 pm 

We contacted Mr. Easley and asked him about the signed prints in the 25th Anniversary Sets. He remembers signing for two days straight and believes there were 1000.  Hope this helps

-Devon

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:30 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:We contacted Mr. Easley and asked him about the signed prints in the 25th Anniversary Sets. He remembers signing for two days straight and believes there were 1000.  Hope this helps

-Devon

Thanks for confirming this.  "Option #3" is out.  (I'm shutting up about it though, because so many people are making a concerted effort to get the thread back on track...) ;)  If anyone knows how to move the posts to another thread, please do so.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:20 am 

i vaguley remember my first opened box not having the print and not listing it on the back as part of the contents.

So my question is are they all supposedly manufactured with prints with only 1000 that are signed/numbered or do only 1000 have the prints which are signed while the rest didnt come with the artwork at all?

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:00 am 

I have come across at least six of these boxed sets that were opened. Everyone was complete with poster. If one, or even a couple, were missing a single component, I'd be more inclined to suggest it was simply a packaging error. Or they ran short and a few shipped missing the posters.

Another telling fact about this set, is that it seems to have momentarily priced out. Most sell between $75 and $105 and have held steady for the last year or so. That suggests that most collectors who really want one have one (or more as is evidenced by this group 8O ). As more collectors enter the fray, the price will climb. I just think it is an interesting indicator that 5,000 were made and that number (or however many remain) has basically satisfied the collective (no, I am not a Star Trek fan, but it seemed fitting).

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Previous