Do you have a Dungeon Masters Guide 3rd Alpha?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Poll: Do you have a 3rd alpha with goldenrod endpapers?

Yes (please expound below) 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
No 97%       97%  [ 36 ]
Total votes : 37

Author


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 753
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 18, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:25 am 
 

Howdy All,


Hoping a quick poll will resolve this. I think the 4th print DMG is actually a 3rd print alpha. I can disprove this theory if anyone has a 3rd print alpha with goldenrod colored endpapers.

So do you have a 3rd Alpha with goldenrod endpapers?

# Wizard logo
# Cover art is of two adventurers fighting a large efreet
# "ADVANCED D&D" in the angled yellow banner has been downsized, and no longer has the "D" of "ADVANCED" running off the edge
# Wizard logo and TSR address appear on spine
# No ISBN on spine, back cover, or title page
# Endpapers and flyleaves are a yellow-orange color
# 232 numbered pages
# You can distinguish this print from the Second Prints, above, by looking for two factors: no Monster Manual pages within, and no pasted-over endpapers


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:27 am 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Hoping a quick poll will resolve this. I think the 4th print DMG is actually a 3rd print alpha. I can disprove this theory if anyone has a 3rd print alpha with goldenrod colored endpapers.

So do you have a 3rd Alpha with goldenrod endpapers?

Nope, I don't.  What would this signify, just so we're clear?  Are you saying all 3rds would be white flyleaves, or just the 3rd Alpha?  Or that the 3rd Beta/Gamma don't exist?  I'm lost.

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3861
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 21, 2020
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:12 am 
 

Not me. I have a near mint 5th that I bought way back in the day right off the hobby store shelf. I have a 4th that is worn big time - the 5th was supposed to be my replacement, but for some reason I just left it on the shelf and continued to brutalize my original.

I really have not chased an early DMG, simply out of laziness. :D


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:04 am 
 

I will need the weekend to check mine.  Will post Monday.

Martin

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 186
Joined: Apr 13, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 06, 2006
Location: At the Door of the Colorado National Monument

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:59 pm 
 

Nope.  I have a first, a second-beta, three fourths, a sixth, and a ninth.  Good luck pinning-down the Nyarlathotep of D&D.


"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

  

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 2078
Joined: Oct 19, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 21, 2021
Location: Honolulu, HI

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:24 pm 
 

* bump *

I'm very interested in this poll.  I KNOW that as SOON as I change the description to eliminate the 3rd Print Alpha, somebody will show up with one.  :)

Foul

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:37 pm 
 

I think already mentioned somewhere that those 4th printings were weird.  The flyleaves are yellow, go white for a single printing (4th), then go back to yellow until the 7th...   :?: :?

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 105
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Oct 24, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:45 pm 
 

From your description I am almost positive I sold one as a second edition about a year and a half ago. It was part of a large lot that included two 2nd editions and a 3rd edition MM. I have no clue who bought it, but it was sold on Ebay.
Is it more valuable than a second edition?

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5611
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:00 am 
 

I'll dig into my books to confirm, but I'm almost certain that I do not have one of these, Paul.


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 105
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Oct 24, 2015

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:23 pm 
 

I have been trying to go through my records but I could only find one sale where it might have gone.

A collector named taumorglorious or some such (from Italy or Spain I can't recall which) was one of two sales of hardcovers I had in the last couple of years. They may have it.

The sale went badly as he accused me of not sending his items and filed a Paypal report against me. He later withdrew it and eventually left good feedback when the books arrived. I am not sure how someone expects books sent surface to arrive in 3 weeks across the world.

Anyway that is one place to check.

  

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 2078
Joined: Oct 19, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 21, 2021
Location: Honolulu, HI

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:39 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:I think already mentioned somewhere that those 4th printings were weird.  The flyleaves are yellow, go white for a single printing (4th), then go back to yellow until the 7th...   :?: :?

Since it's the 3rd Alpha whose existence is in question, this wouldn't fix that problem.  The 4th print is confirmed, and its place in the sequence is also roughly confirmed (i.e., it's not a Revised Edition, and the first iteration of the Revised Edition did indeed have yellow flyleaves).

So, yes, TSR really did switch from yellow to white to yellow again.  :)  The only real question is whether they did it for one print, or four.

Foul

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:31 am 
 

FoulFoot wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:I think already mentioned somewhere that those 4th printings were weird.  The flyleaves are yellow, go white for a single printing (4th), then go back to yellow until the 7th...   :?: :?

Since it's the 3rd Alpha whose existence is in question, this wouldn't fix that problem.  The 4th print is confirmed, and its place in the sequence is also roughly confirmed (i.e., it's not a Revised Edition, and the first iteration of the Revised Edition did indeed have yellow flyleaves).

So, yes, TSR really did switch from yellow to white to yellow again.  :)  The only real question is whether they did it for one print, or four.

Foul

Yes, I realize that.  But it might provide some clue as to why it happened.  If the 4th print is the 3rd Gamma, for example, then perhaps in the "emergency" yellow flyleaves weren't available and white ones were used...  :?  If it's the 3rd Alpha, ok, I got nothing.

(I'm assuming everything happens for a reason, which might not be sound logic... :) )

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:04 am 
 

i dunno how the hell you all keep up with these things. i am lost in the midst of all these gamma/alpha/beta things.....sheesh its just a book :)

Al



  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:34 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:i dunno how the hell you all keep up with these things. i am lost in the midst of all these gamma/alpha/beta things.....sheesh its just a book :)

I have no life. :)

 YIM  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:42 am 
 

I'm sorry I have not been able to get thru all the storage, however I'm fairly sure I do not have a 3rd alpha.

Martin

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 188
Joined: Jun 30, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 11, 2018
Location: Del Norte, CO

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:24 pm 
 

I have two books with pasted over yellow/orange endpapers. Is there a definitive test to spot 3rd gamma from a 2nd beta?

  

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 2078
Joined: Oct 19, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 21, 2021
Location: Honolulu, HI

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:48 pm 
 

Page 99.  If the text is at an angle, it's a 2nd Beta.  If not at an angle, it's a Third print-something.

Use the flowchart (link on the DMG's page) for best results!

Foul

  


Collector

Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 27, 2006
Last Visit: Feb 09, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:51 am 
 

Hi folks,
     
        Didn't know if this would be of interest but......,

        I have a DMG with the text at an angle on page 99. Also, the page number is closer to the bottom of the page and the text runs deep into the gutter. Seems like it should be a 2nd beta, however, the endpapers are white. They also do not appear to be pasted over.

        What gives?

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2655
Joined: Sep 25, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 05, 2020
Location: Southwest

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:22 pm 
 

Hoipolloi wrote:Hi folks,
     
        Didn't know if this would be of interest but......,

        I have a DMG with the text at an angle on page 99. Also, the page number is closer to the bottom of the page and the text runs deep into the gutter. Seems like it should be a 2nd beta, however, the endpapers are white. They also do not appear to be pasted over.

        What gives?


Hi, I recently posted a similar question...I think in the wrong category (appraisals)...then I did a little more searching and found this thread.  Did you ever hear back about your DMG print version?  I seem to have found one very similar.

Mike.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 pm 
 

misterspock wrote:
Hi, I recently posted a similar question...I think in the wrong category (appraisals)...then I did a little more searching and found this thread.  Did you ever hear back about your DMG print version?  I seem to have found one very similar.

Mike.


I just posted a response in your thread.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2