Do you have a Dungeon Masters Guide 3rd Alpha?
Poll: Do you have a 3rd alpha with goldenrod endpapers?

Yes (please expound below) 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
No 97%       97%  [ 36 ]
Total votes : 37

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:25 am 

Howdy All,

Hoping a quick poll will resolve this. I think the 4th print DMG is actually a 3rd print alpha. I can disprove this theory if anyone has a 3rd print alpha with goldenrod colored endpapers.

So do you have a 3rd Alpha with goldenrod endpapers?

# Wizard logo
# Cover art is of two adventurers fighting a large efreet
# "ADVANCED D&D" in the angled yellow banner has been downsized, and no longer has the "D" of "ADVANCED" running off the edge
# Wizard logo and TSR address appear on spine
# No ISBN on spine, back cover, or title page
# Endpapers and flyleaves are a yellow-orange color
# 232 numbered pages
# You can distinguish this print from the Second Prints, above, by looking for two factors: no Monster Manual pages within, and no pasted-over endpapers

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:27 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Hoping a quick poll will resolve this. I think the 4th print DMG is actually a 3rd print alpha. I can disprove this theory if anyone has a 3rd print alpha with goldenrod colored endpapers.

So do you have a 3rd Alpha with goldenrod endpapers?

Nope, I don't.  What would this signify, just so we're clear?  Are you saying all 3rds would be white flyleaves, or just the 3rd Alpha?  Or that the 3rd Beta/Gamma don't exist?  I'm lost.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:12 am 

Not me. I have a near mint 5th that I bought way back in the day right off the hobby store shelf. I have a 4th that is worn big time - the 5th was supposed to be my replacement, but for some reason I just left it on the shelf and continued to brutalize my original.

I really have not chased an early DMG, simply out of laziness. :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:04 am 

I will need the weekend to check mine.  Will post Monday.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:59 pm 

Nope.  I have a first, a second-beta, three fourths, a sixth, and a ninth.  Good luck pinning-down the Nyarlathotep of D&D.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:24 pm 

* bump *

I'm very interested in this poll.  I KNOW that as SOON as I change the description to eliminate the 3rd Print Alpha, somebody will show up with one.  :)

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:37 pm 

I think already mentioned somewhere that those 4th printings were weird.  The flyleaves are yellow, go white for a single printing (4th), then go back to yellow until the 7th...   :?: :?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:45 pm 

From your description I am almost positive I sold one as a second edition about a year and a half ago. It was part of a large lot that included two 2nd editions and a 3rd edition MM. I have no clue who bought it, but it was sold on Ebay.
Is it more valuable than a second edition?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:00 am 

I'll dig into my books to confirm, but I'm almost certain that I do not have one of these, Paul.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:23 pm 

I have been trying to go through my records but I could only find one sale where it might have gone.

A collector named taumorglorious or some such (from Italy or Spain I can't recall which) was one of two sales of hardcovers I had in the last couple of years. They may have it.

The sale went badly as he accused me of not sending his items and filed a Paypal report against me. He later withdrew it and eventually left good feedback when the books arrived. I am not sure how someone expects books sent surface to arrive in 3 weeks across the world.

Anyway that is one place to check.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:39 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I think already mentioned somewhere that those 4th printings were weird.  The flyleaves are yellow, go white for a single printing (4th), then go back to yellow until the 7th...   :?: :?

Since it's the 3rd Alpha whose existence is in question, this wouldn't fix that problem.  The 4th print is confirmed, and its place in the sequence is also roughly confirmed (i.e., it's not a Revised Edition, and the first iteration of the Revised Edition did indeed have yellow flyleaves).

So, yes, TSR really did switch from yellow to white to yellow again.  :)  The only real question is whether they did it for one print, or four.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:31 am 

FoulFoot wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:I think already mentioned somewhere that those 4th printings were weird.  The flyleaves are yellow, go white for a single printing (4th), then go back to yellow until the 7th...   :?: :?

Since it's the 3rd Alpha whose existence is in question, this wouldn't fix that problem.  The 4th print is confirmed, and its place in the sequence is also roughly confirmed (i.e., it's not a Revised Edition, and the first iteration of the Revised Edition did indeed have yellow flyleaves).

So, yes, TSR really did switch from yellow to white to yellow again.  :)  The only real question is whether they did it for one print, or four.

Foul

Yes, I realize that.  But it might provide some clue as to why it happened.  If the 4th print is the 3rd Gamma, for example, then perhaps in the "emergency" yellow flyleaves weren't available and white ones were used...  :?  If it's the 3rd Alpha, ok, I got nothing.

(I'm assuming everything happens for a reason, which might not be sound logic... :) )

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:04 am 

i dunno how the hell you all keep up with these things. i am lost in the midst of all these gamma/alpha/beta things.....sheesh its just a book :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:34 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i dunno how the hell you all keep up with these things. i am lost in the midst of all these gamma/alpha/beta things.....sheesh its just a book :)

I have no life. :)

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:42 am 

I'm sorry I have not been able to get thru all the storage, however I'm fairly sure I do not have a 3rd alpha.

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:24 pm 

I have two books with pasted over yellow/orange endpapers. Is there a definitive test to spot 3rd gamma from a 2nd beta?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:48 pm 

Page 99.  If the text is at an angle, it's a 2nd Beta.  If not at an angle, it's a Third print-something.

Use the flowchart (link on the DMG's page) for best results!

Foul

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:51 am 

Hi folks,

Didn't know if this would be of interest but......,

I have a DMG with the text at an angle on page 99. Also, the page number is closer to the bottom of the page and the text runs deep into the gutter. Seems like it should be a 2nd beta, however, the endpapers are white. They also do not appear to be pasted over.

What gives?

Next