Yet another Site Update!
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:51 pm 

Yep, I'm on a roll.

The primary feature of this update are quite a few new Estimated Values for the "common" items (rarities 1, 2, and 3).  The Valuation Board is now monitoring sales of these items, and updating prices about once a year.

Unlike the more-complicated valuation process used for rares, the Valuation Board instead revised the entire formula and made it a simple averaging of sales.  The total cost (sum of all sales) is divided by the total number of sales and this average is then multiplied by 1.35 to find the Near Mint price.  The Near Mint price is then multiplied by the condition code for each grade (i.e. if the NM price is $10.00, VF=$9, FN=$7.5 ,etc.).  Also, the Good condition equates to 40% of the Near Mint value (as opposed to the 45% for a Rare item), and Fair condition is 20% versus the 25% for Rares.  A sample of at least 20 sales for each item was used, unless there were less than 20 sales in the recent past.

Far more information than you wanted to know, but there you go!

Hopefully, the remainder of the common items on the site will be tracked shortly, so we have 100 percent coverage.  And again, these values will be updated on a roughly annual basis, since we don't expect much in the way of short-term swings.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:04 am 

FoulFoot wrote:Yep, I'm on a roll.

The primary feature of this update are quite a few new Estimated Values for the "common" items (rarities 1, 2, and 3).  The Valuation Board is now monitoring sales of these items, and updating prices about once a year.

Unlike the more-complicated valuation process used for rares, the Valuation Board instead revised the entire formula and made it a simple averaging of sales.  The total cost (sum of all sales) is divided by the total number of sales and this average is then multiplied by 1.35 to find the Near Mint price.  The Near Mint price is then multiplied by the condition code for each grade (i.e. if the NM price is $10.00, VF=$9, FN=$7.5 ,etc.).  Also, the Good condition equates to 40% of the Near Mint value (as opposed to the 45% for a Rare item), and Fair condition is 20% versus the 25% for Rares.  A sample of at least 20 sales for each item was used, unless there were less than 20 sales in the recent past.

Far more information than you wanted to know, but there you go!

Hopefully, the remainder of the common items on the site will be tracked shortly, so we have 100 percent coverage.  And again, these values will be updated on a roughly annual basis, since we don't expect much in the way of short-term swings.

Foul

It looks great!  I just took at least an hour reading through all the new entries, and lost track of time.  And I've finally got some info published!  Can't get any cooler!  :D  A big round of applause to Foul, that's a lot of work...

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:13 am 

Howdy Scott,

Thanks you for another site update.

The DMG in question is the one The Collector's Trove sold for Dave Sutherland for $561.50. It is a 1st print, not a 2nd Alpha. That is where I started my research in the first place. Dave told me he got the book right from the printer after the first print run. That ran contary to the prevailing stories at the time and so out came my new chronology.

Also, under the 4th Print DMG, my errors:

"Possibly, this is the Third Print Gamma." should be "Possibly, this is the Third Print Alpha."

Finally, the method of identifying a 3rd Gamma is incorrect. If the cover was replaced, the text block was pulled out and the old cover and endpapers tossed. New endpapers and cover were then applied to the old text block. I don't think I'd know how to recognized this print.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:26 am 

Eh.  Well, I suppose then we don't have values for the DMG 2nd Print Alpha, then.  :)  And the 1st Print is liable to get a boost.  I'll make sure the VB has the correct info.

Will also correct the other errors you mentioned.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:41 am 

Hey Foul, what about information and tidbits provided for item descriptors?  Is that going to get an update soon?  I hope?

('coz I've got a submission in the queue and all. :D)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:12 pm 

Now, did you even check that page before posting?  :)  It's been updated.

The What's New page only serves to highlight some of the important facets of a site update.  There's usually dozens of additions / corrections that don't make it to the What's New page.  Many of those result in a yellow-highlighted "Updated" entry on the appropriate index; in the case of the Dungeon Geomorphs, since your information didn't affect the print run info, I decided not to refresh the "Updated" column.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:15 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Now, did you even check that page before posting?  :)  It's been updated.

The What's New page only serves to highlight some of the important facets of a site update.  There's usually dozens of additions / corrections that don't make it to the What's New page.  Many of those result in a yellow-highlighted "Updated" entry on the appropriate index; in the case of the Dungeon Geomorphs, since your information didn't affect the print run info, I decided not to refresh the "Updated" column.

Foul

Whoop!

Sorry sir! :D

Thanks for setting me straight...

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:17 pm 

Not your fault!  About the only way to really be sure is to re-visit the page in question and check.

Foul

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:46 pm 

Just a comment, but personally I find the new front page menu layout hard to read and confusing, it looked and functiond much better previously with a more traditional layout.

Otherwise, this site ROCKS and looks/works great!!