Well, I'm effectively "done" collecting...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:49 am 

Got fired Friday (in the overall a good thing, but I won't go in to it here).  Yesterday I recieved the OCE I'd purchased from a used bookstore - only $70, and in crisp, clean condition.  A real beaut.

That was pretty much everything I wanted right there.  I've got a true 1st DMG (no, not that one, the other one; I've talked about it before), a true 1st MM, and a 1st PHB, a few pastel modules, etc. etc.

Now without the extra income, searching ebay and combing through online bookstores is just painful!   :(

When I got my new website up and running (and thank God I paid for the domain while I had the extra income), part of the plan was to set up a little webstore and sell off the extras I have plus a few other goodies...well as they say you've got to spend money to make money and I don't have any to spend any more...so I reckon I'll haul these on down to the FLGS and see if I can trade 'em in.  I know, I could eBay but that's a plastic hassle and right now 1e books - at least the common stuff I have (even the three DDGs with the later expurgated chapters) go for a few bucks!

Ah...life.

Well thanks everyone.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:10 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:Got fired Friday (in the overall a good thing, but I won't go in to it here).  Yesterday I recieved the OCE I'd purchased from a used bookstore - only $70, and in crisp, clean condition.  A real beaut.

That was pretty much everything I wanted right there.  I've got a true 1st DMG (no, not that one, the other one; I've talked about it before), a true 1st MM, and a 1st PHB, a few pastel modules, etc. etc.

Now without the extra income, searching ebay and combing through online bookstores is just painful!   :(

When I got my new website up and running (and thank God I paid for the domain while I had the extra income), part of the plan was to set up a little webstore and sell off the extras I have plus a few other goodies...well as they say you've got to spend money to make money and I don't have any to spend any more...so I reckon I'll haul these on down to the FLGS and see if I can trade 'em in.  I know, I could eBay but that's a plastic hassle and right now 1e books - at least the common stuff I have (even the three DDGs with the later expurgated chapters) go for a few bucks!

Ah...life.

Well thanks everyone.

Sorry to hear about the problems.  Heck I have been trying to get fired for months...they still have me around.  :wink:

Seriously though, if you really think that you need to sell some stuff...why not post it here instead of trading or selling it elsewhere?  At least you could get a decent price and not have to worry about any fees or getting less than what you want.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:14 am 

ditto - stuff it all on one post in the classifieds section - and see what offers you get.  Sorry bout the bad news.  But, the silver lining is that now you have more time to play/design/go to the park etc..  Best of luck. :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:31 am 

I am sure you will land on your feet and find another job soon!  Do not make the mistake of selling off your collection for the wrong reasons, you will probably regret it.  Go get other employment and keep your stuff!

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:56 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I am sure you will land on your feet and find another job soon!  Do not make the mistake of selling off your collection for the wrong reasons, you will probably regret it.  Go get other employment and keep your stuff!

J

No no no, let me be more clear:

I am not selling my gaming collection.

What I have are five "fair" copies of the DMG (and two of those are 9th+ prints with the Easley art), a trio of player's handbooks (one True 1st that's in such poor shape I'm ashamed to even sell it), another trio of true 1st/1st D&DGs, a brace of FFs and a lone copy of UA and a single MM plus a collection of ragged modules - all extras.  The only things of any "real" value in that mess are the DDGs and one of the DMGs is old enough to have the "page 40 demon summoning" artwork instead of the little EO "wizard v. lich duel" art.  Unless y'all consider a true 1st PHB with a loose page that looks like it's been run over by a truck "noteworthy".

So rest assured I'm not selling my collection.  I'm proud of the stuff I've amassed and it is going nowhere.  I've got two full "core" OD&D sets (one boxed, one loose), two Supplement 1's, plus singles of all the other supplements (and my beaten up Sup. 1 has Gary & Rob's autograph!), all my modules (incl. an autographed B2), a full set of 1e hardbacks including those true 1st's I mentioend many months ago, and on and on.  That stuff isn't going to get sold off except in the direst of emergencies.

And by that point we'll be living out of our car anyway. :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:42 pm 

I've been trying to get fired for ages, but my boos won't cut me. Oh wait, I AM the boss. Maybe it's a conflict of interest thing.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:29 pm 

Hang in Delver, the tide will turn. Change is the only constant.

Sometimes I really wish I could get fired.
I can't. I'm the Boss.

::sigh::

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:00 pm 

Thanks, Frank, I appreciate it.

The real heartbreak here is unless I find something in the coming weeks then the LGGC may be off for me and the Mrs. :( :( :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:00 am 

Hey, chin up DungeonDelver.  Sorry to hear about your job.

I've been down, out and fired before too.  It is depressing and a kick to the self-esteem...but it is not the end...not even necessarily even the end of a specific career.

Good luck, man, and try to stay positive.  

Mark 8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:21 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:Thanks, Frank, I appreciate it.

The real heartbreak here is unless I find something in the coming weeks then the LGGC may be off for me and the Mrs. :( :( :(

DD, I haven't seen you around DF in awhile, but I am sorry to hear about the sh*tty turn of events. I am sure it will all work out for you though.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche