Sigh
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:50 am 

Well, I went to Rome.  Now my Latin is a little rusty, but I did manage.  :wink:

[some handy Latin phrases]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A218882

(of course, in order to avoid an international incident, and in the interests of veracity I should point out that the English of most people outside of English speaking countries is always an embarassment of riches, whereas I stumble by on schoolboy French and point-and-grin)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:32 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:
Badmike wrote:I remember starting Junior High School in 1975 (7th grade) and being told by a snotty ass superior bitch of a math teacher that we HAD to learn the metric system by the end of the semester because by the 1980s (a far away time then) they would be teaching it in 1st grade instead of the standard system and by the end of the century the US like the entire world would be using the Metric system.  I'm proud to say the only piece of the metric system I deal with now is yards in a pro football game.  I hope that teacher retired knowing everything she taught us that semester was worthless, much like her entire career.
  BTW, anyone remember the failed experiment in the states of having the speed limit signs list both MPH and KPH?

Mike B.

Reminds me of this snotty bitch nun Spanish teacher I had in high school.  She kept telling us how Spanish was really useful to learn, especially for the future, but we kids knew better than she did and just blew it off. Spanish useful?  Bah!  How dare she attempt to mangle our tongues with this foreign speech!
I really showed her how wrong she was when, as an adult, I visited beautiful Spain for a month and had a really difficult time trying to communicate with the locals.  
:roll:

They didn't speak English? BARBARIANS!!!! 8O
    I fell for this also...but in German.  Took two years of HS German, then another two years in college (that's four full semesters). 20 years later, I can manage to count to ten, ask for the bathroom and tell a girl to take her shirt off in Deutsch...and that's it.  What a waste of time. :wink:
     Would have been better off taking classes in "Woodgrains: How to spot the different editions" or "Orange B3s: Accurate print run statistics or speculation run amok?" since these now have more bearing in my daily life....ah, but who knew....

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:45 pm 

My four years of high school German, plus 1 and 1/3 years in college, allow me to listen in on German tourists.  I can also translate most of the comical German phrases that the Nazi soldiers say in war movies...oh...and I can understand what the Germans are saying to each other in the computer game, Close Combat.

I remember back in the day, when I did not want to take Spanish because I just could not see myself ever using it.   :x

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:01 pm 

I know English very well. I studied Spanish. I also followed some German courses for my doctorate. I did not think they would come of any use to me, but a few days ago the mother of our German coworker called searching for him, and I answered because I was the last person in the lab.

Sie sagt dass sie nechsten Tag angerufen hattet.

My German is quite poor, but at least I managed to understand and be understood by her.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:01 pm 

guerret wrote:I know English very well. I studied Spanish. I also followed some German courses for my doctorate. I did not think they would come of any use to me, but a few days ago the mother of our German coworker called searching for him, and I answered because I was the last person in the lab.

My German is quite poor, but at least I managed to understand and be understood by her.

She said that she had the next day to bark loudly?   8O

Mark   :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:12 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
guerret wrote:I know English very well. I studied Spanish. I also followed some German courses for my doctorate. I did not think they would come of any use to me, but a few days ago the mother of our German coworker called searching for him, and I answered because I was the last person in the lab.

She said that she had the next day to bark loudly?   8O

Mark   :lol:

Uhm, no, that she would call the next day... an/rufen, the past is angerufen... or is it angeruft? Geez, German is so terrible!