Site Update
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:17 am 

Site update published!

While I'd like to say that I labored these past nine (!) months on the web site, the truth is, the work came in fits and spurts.  Real life continues to whittle away my free time, so I'm increasingly finding it difficult to "stay focused" and get the job done.  

What didn't help was deciding around October to rip the guts out of the site, more or less, and re-do a bunch of the messy HTML.  It was a lot of fun ripping stuff out; piecing it back together took forever.  And most of it is stuff you'll never notice.  Heh.  Sigh.

Besides the usual bevy of missing material (I'm mostly caught up with the archives through November of last year; by definition, therefore, most of the submissions I've received since then have not made it onto the site yet), there's an addition that I needed to delay for a few more weeks: estimated valuations for many of the common items (rarity 3 and below).  The Valuation Board has graciously submitted new values for these items... it's just that I need to do a bunch of work with the Excel spreadsheets on my end in order to incorporate those.  I should be able to post a new update, with those valuations, in about two weeks.  The Valuation Board is planning on examining common items about once a year, as opposed to once a quarter with the class 4 and 5 rares.

Other than that, enjoy.  And while I always hate to promise more regular site updates, I'm sure it won't be nine more months until the next one.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:56 am 

Hey Scott, in Firefox 1.5.0.1 the front page links for the site don't work fully:  for example, the Front Desk link appears to be mapped to the area just below the "w?" of "What's New?" right to the "u" of "Dungeons in the subtitle, rather than at the "Front Desk" button.

It looks like the image map is mapped incorrectly.  I'll check in IE in a minute.

edit:  nevermind, everything was fine after I cleared my cache, in both browsers.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:23 am 

Looks good! It is always nice to have a new look with the same GREAT content.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:55 am 

ditto - many thanks! Looks great. :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:24 am 

Congratulations !
Nice job, Foul, and thank you !  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:30 am 

Great Job.

Just a not to those who experience problems with some of the links. I was having problems, but they are because IE was using link information stored in its history/cashe file.

If you empty your IE cashe file, all the links will be read from the web and not the cashe, and everything will work just fine.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:59 am 

Thanks for keeping the design simple, Foul.  I have a prehistoric "phone line" at home and occasionally access the Acaeum from my Blackberry, as well. ;)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:05 pm 

cool update - nice!

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:13 pm 

Excellent work. I know how hard meeting the demands of a forum can be. Thanks!

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:01 pm 

grodog wrote:Hey Scott, in Firefox 1.5.0.1 the front page links for the site don't work fully:  for example, the Front Desk link appears to be mapped to the area just below the "w?" of "What's New?" right to the "u" of "Dungeons in the subtitle, rather than at the "Front Desk" button.

It looks like the image map is mapped incorrectly.  I'll check in IE in a minute.

edit:  nevermind, everything was fine after I cleared my cache, in both browsers.

Yep. Had the same problem with IE (had 'square layout" front page).
After clearing, the new (very cool) "circular layout" hit me.
Now I have to get used to everything again. Thanks for keeping it fresh!

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:15 pm 

Thanks for the comments.  

One thing I'm not real happy with is the dual-index-page thing.  When you click the "Subwebs" button, it loads an (identical) index page with the subwebs now replacing the indexes.  I was hoping it would be more seamless than it is -- unfortunately, at least on my browser, it wants to load the whole page again, which sort of ruins the effect.  Perhaps those of you with more active caches are seeing it as I intended....

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this better?  My main goal is to keep the front page small in filesize -- no more than maybe 75k.  Right now it's about 40k. I'm afraid that most DHTML or Java-type scripts would quickly push the filesize up, and make it impractical for those on a slow connection.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:17 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Thanks for the comments.  

One thing I'm not real happy with is the dual-index-page thing.  When you click the "Subwebs" button, it loads an (identical) index page with the subwebs now replacing the indexes.  I was hoping it would be more seamless than it is -- unfortunately, at least on my browser, it wants to load the whole page again, which sort of ruins the effect.  Perhaps those of you with more active caches are seeing it as I intended....

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this better?  My main goal is to keep the front page small in filesize -- no more than maybe 75k.  Right now it's about 40k. I'm afraid that most DHTML or Java-type scripts would quickly push the filesize up, and make it impractical for those on a slow connection.

Foul

After the initial reload, it looks quite seamless to me.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:11 am 

Looks good to me too, now, Scott (in both Firefox and IE).  Short of making the indices section a separate include/image/whatever that would load once and then be cached again, I don't know of another way to make the transition between the main site index page and the subwebs index page cleaner.

But then, I'm not an .html guru either.  I'm sure someone else will be able to chime in with other ideas.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:45 am 

grodog wrote:Looks good to me too, now, Scott (in both Firefox and IE).  Short of making the indices section a separate include/image/whatever that would load once and then be cached again, I don't know of another way to make the transition between the main site index page and the subwebs index page cleaner.

But then, I'm not an .html guru either.  I'm sure someone else will be able to chime in with other ideas.

I'd pull the background image out of the css and put it in the body tag, but that's just me.  Don't think it would matter, performance-wise.  Once it's cached, that's as fast as it's going to get, unless I put my cache on a ram disk or something crazy like that.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:21 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
grodog wrote:Looks good to me too, now, Scott (in both Firefox and IE).  Short of making the indices section a separate include/image/whatever that would load once and then be cached again, I don't know of another way to make the transition between the main site index page and the subwebs index page cleaner.

I'd pull the background image out of the css and put it in the body tag, but that's just me.  Don't think it would matter, performance-wise.  Once it's cached, that's as fast as it's going to get, unless I put my cache on a ram disk or something crazy like that.

That's wrong. Visualization should be separated from the content. It should even be possible to override the default background with a custom CSS. The background should definitely stay where it is.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:18 pm 

guerret wrote:Visualization should be separated from the content.

I'm not (primarily) a web developer, so I don't know where people make these arbitrary rules.  I think code should be as easy to read as possible.  The current method probably follows some sort of "CSS best practices", yes.  :wink:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I'm not (primarily) a web developer, so I don't know where people make these arbitrary rules.

Around the World Wide Web Consortium (http://www.w3.org). I happen to know the director of the Italian division, Laforenza, because I work in the same institute as he.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:02 pm 

guerret wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:I'm not (primarily) a web developer, so I don't know where people make these arbitrary rules.

Around the World Wide Web Consortium (http://www.w3.org). I happen to know the director of the Italian division, Laforenza, because I work in the same institute as he.

Oh, them.  Yeah, I'm familiar with the W3C.  They've done a decent job attempting to standardize things.   :wink:  
(I certainly don't agree with all of their opinions.)

YIM  
Next