2E with low print run
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:26 am 

I'm happy to see that some of you guys care about 2E even though it is not covered by The Acaeum. I always wondered if there were special items with low print runs (e.g. tournament modules) and of collectable value from 2nd edition AD&D. We've seen high sales prices for some items due to high demand (like the Planescape boxes or Necromancer handbook). However, I'm interested in the rare stuff.

Is there something like a R-series or even an orange B1 for 2nd edition?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:22 am 

Alot of stuff TSR put out when they were going through financial trouble has a pretty low print run.  One example of this is the North box set, which really only had a single printing I've heard.  While there were probably quite alot in that printing, there was nowhere near as many made as the other box sets.  I think alot of the other things released in that time period were probably sub-par bland 2e books that didn't sell for a reason, so they might be kind of rare, but if nobody wanted them in the firstplace, they aren't much of an investment.

I'm rather amazed at the scarcity of Greyhawk:  Wars and From the Ashes too.  Don't know the story on the print runs, but an unpunched Wars is getting kind of scarce.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:46 pm 

I would count the Planescape Sketchbook as one of the more sought after 2nd edition items. I have not noticed one of these up for auction. Of the 4 that I know of all were traded/purchased privately. These suckas are rare.

Check here for more info... AD&D Planescape Sketchbook possible value

Of course you would have to count on Adventurer's Guild items on the list of low print run. More on these on this website's main. Collector's are slowly warming up to these but the scope is just too damn big to get heavily involved...brace yourself for Shaun's reply :lol: .

Then there is Jade Hare, TSR Spotlight, Legends of the Lance and a few other periodical/newsletter type things that are rarely seen.

Later.

Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:48 pm 

I am not so sure of the print runs myself on the From the Ashes, and Wars.

I can say I disagree with  you on how many of these are unpunched, I have sold 4-5 of them Unpunched in just the past few months. From the ashes I think I have sold about 5-6 Sets of that.

What I am actually TOTALY amazed at is the fact that Wars often sells for $30.00  From the Ashes goes for an average of $45.00,  Yet the City of Greyhawk boxed set, Which in all honesty KILLS from the Ashes and Wars as far as content and what all it includes for play purposes, only sells for $25.00 on the average.

The other 2nd edition items that I am amazed at the lack of value are the Tome of Magic and Book of Artifacts.  In all honesty all the rest of the hardcovers of the 2nd edition were  um should we say in my opinion found Lacking.

The only2nd edition book that sells good for a good price is the Monstrous Compendium ( red ) Harccover. The blue one sells for an average of $10.00 less than the Red one.   No I have no idea why that is.  

The other item that has good Value is the Forgotten Realms  Undermountain boxed sets. and they are Definatly  WORTH what they sell for.

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)

Outdoor Photographer/Writer

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:54 pm 

Glad to hear that about Undermountain...  I've got copies of I and II that will probably be going up for auction by the end of the month.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a copy of the PS Sketchbook.  Any idea on what the private sale price is?  I've had ALOT of people ask me over the past few years if I had it.  Doesn't hurt that I'm a big DiTerrlizi fan too.

As for Adventurer's Guild, if I didn't totally luck out and buy 3 huge lots of them for an average of $3/module, I wouldn't even THINK of trying to collect them all.  Rhea's the only person I've ever talked to that claims to have a full set, but I'm sure there are 2 or 3 people that were working at/for RPGA at the time that have them, and I wouldn't be suprised if there was somebody out there that has a set or two without realizing what it is they are sitting on.  The only thing giving me hope is that I now have slightly more doubles/triples than ones I need, meaning hopefully I'll just be able to trade to finish up my set.

I totally agree about the City of Greyhawk box set...  I usually put all my box set booklets in polybags, but man, that box is FULL.  Talk about bang for your buck.  And the Undermountains were always great too, if only because they gave you a megadungeon, a little plot, and let you run wild.

I've been meaning to pick up copies of Wars and From the Ashes (some of the few Greyhawk things I don't already own), but refuse to pay those high prices.

Oh, some more kinda rare 2E things...  the Player's Secrets of Muden for Birthright is kind of rare, but I think copies of it only got for like $20-35 (haven't looked in awhile).  While it is free on the WotC site, the link for it is totally buried, and there are some slight differences between the PDF and the actual thing put out by the RPGA.  Its bound alot like the earlier Adventurer's Guild modules.

I saw it up for auction ONCE, but I couldn't tell if it was legit or not...  it was a copy of "Orc's Head", which was an unreleased Mystara suppliment for Savage Coast.  If it was one of those mockups where only 6 exist, I'm gonna shoot myself because it only went for $35.  And no, I'm not talking about somebody selling the pdf...  this thing appeared to be an actual book.

The Player's Guides to the Living City are rare, but I've never seen them up for auction.  Mike Kuo has had all 3 versions, but traded them away some time ago (I've got 2 copies of ver 2.0 in shrink).  The Procampur Player's Guide is also rare...  but considering that it is like 12 probably photocopied pages, its more of a curiosity to those of us who love RPGA stuff.

However, the RPGA player's handbooks are pretty common...  never really seen any up for auction, but NobleKnight typically sells them for $5 a pop.

Any clue how rare/collectible the 2e FastPlay adventures are?  I think there were only 2 or 3 (Eye of the Wyvern was one...  can't think of the others offhand).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:05 pm 

I got my Planescape Sketchbook for dirt cheap. Knowing Kuo he got his plus the original owners first born for even cheaper than mine.

The other 2 I am only aware of with one of them being almost in rumor only. So I guess there is no reliable purchase price history on any of those.

I can say with all of the crazed Planescape collectors out there, they will surely shoot the moon if listed appropriately on ebay.

Not many realize Jade Hare is actually 2nd edition as it gets so much attention on this 1st Edition website. So I gotta say this is the number one 2nd ed item of rarity.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:48 pm 

Cernunnos  
I've been meaning to pick up copies of Wars and From the Ashes (some of the few Greyhawk things I don't already own), but refuse to pay those high prices.

Let me know what Conditions you seek, and aproximate amount yuo want to pay.   Simply put I will let ya know when I get a set of them at a really great price that matches your Condition.  

The only thing I actually am interested in the amount for is so I know is I have already got more into it that you  are willing to drop.  When I get one in the condition you want I would let you know what I paid and ask you for either a Trade on something or a couple dollars more than I paid.

Seriously Guys I like to make a buck but I have more fun doing passing the items along to others for a Very small profit.  I have sold items for as little as .50 profit.

I just enjoy knowing I have had the item in my hands and I have a Photo of it I took.  I take the Photos of everything Myself.  This is my way of keeping a collection. I enjoy having the Photo of it.

For one with 4 kids and Labs, there is NO WAY I could seriously keep a collection in one piece for any length of time.

OK OK  except the Original box set and Supplements that is my weekness.  I seek a Woodgrain and all the supplements in first print.

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)

Outdoor Photographer/Writer

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:25 pm 

Here is what I think are the toughest (in no particular order) 2nd edition items:

===Forgotten Realms The North box set

===Planescape Sketchbook

===Players Guide to the Living City ver 1, 1.1, and 2.0

===Complete Book of Necromancers <--never seen one for sale at a store, I only see them for sale on ebay

===Jade Hare

===Tsr Spotlight

===AD&D Play by Mail

===AD&D Free Fast Play <--available at Barnes and Nobles for a short time

===Players Guide to Procampur

===Living City Visitors Guide <---available at gencon at one of their rpga meetings, etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:49 pm 

Forgot another item that is pretty hard to find:

RPGA Gazeteer

Here is a picture of it:

Smile - One place for all your family&#039;s photos

Also for those who are curious, here is a picture of the AD&D Play by Mail:

Smile - One place for all your family&#039;s photos

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:57 pm 

Hey Mkman,

Where did they offer the Play By Mails?

Does anyone know? Thanks.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:55 am 

This seller has a couple of L of L newsletters up for sale. I have noticed he is a pretty big DL collector. Perhaps he is selling off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:47 am 

Hey Mike, isn't that a 3rd Edition logo on that RPGA gazeteer?  And how is it different from the other 3E gaz?

Also, Complete Book of Necromancer's isn't as rare as most people think...  I've found 3 copies in the store, and had about half a dozen people sell or trade me theirs for less than $10.  I wouldn't doubt that it doesn't have a low print run though.  The ones I've sold over eBay have sold for WILDLY different prices:  one only went for $20 while another went for like $90.  Complete Ninja's Handbook used to be just as bad, but lately in the past year its been selling for just slightly more than the Necromancer's book.

Gotta admit, never seen (or heard of) that Play by Mail.  Pretty interesting.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:43 am 

the Player's Secrets of Muden for Birthright is kind of rare, but I think copies of it only got for like $20-35 (haven't looked in awhile).

... they were actually in print? And I thought they were released only as PDF.

What about the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas? That thing surely fetches high prices on eBay.

Also, any clues about the Complete Starter Set and the Introduction to AD&D? I haven't seen them on sale on eBay Germany this year. I recently bought both of them on a private deal for 25 €. Are they trash or treasure?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:52 pm 

Promo fast play adventure (This is the one Mike mentioned above.):

This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued

Diablo II fast play promo (Did this one come with the game or what?  I never see these for sale.):

Player's Secrets of Hogunmark (I believe it was an RPGA only thing.  Just a plain B&W book, no cover.  Also available in PDF.  I thought Muden was PDF only, but I could very well be wrong about that.):

Complete Starter Set (Mentioned by Ralf.  Seems to be quite rare.  I've only seen a couple for sale over the past few years.  Mainly cool because it comes with abbreviated softcover versions of the core rulebooks.):

Alternity Fast Play Rules (Vaugely on topic, anybody know where this was available from or how hard it is to find?):

And since nobody's mentioned them, how about the Dark Sun supplements Earth, Air, Fire & Water and The Will & The Way.  Both put out near the end of DS with small print runs and both quite useful.  TW&TW in particular is an indispensable supplement for ANY campaign with psionics.

On the subject of Legends of the Lance, has anybody noticed a price difference between folded vs. non-folded?  Just curious.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:11 pm 

They made Dragonlance phone cards?!?! :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3140833542

Nev

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:07 pm 

I haven't noticed a price gap between folded and unfolded L of L, but shouldn't the folded and mailed be more common than the unfolded? Or were the unfolded handed out at game shops/bookstores?

Nice job on those L of L items Burnie. Glad a forums user got them.

Any one know where the Play By Mail item originates?

Later.

Adam

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:56 pm 

Hogunmark was indeed in print, and only available through RPGA.  You'll see one on eBay every once in awhile.  If you find where on the WotC site you can download it, it will even talk about how it had previously only been released though RPGA.  If I get motivated, maybe I'll scan the cover of my copy.

The Alternity Fast Play rules were available in Dragon...  I forget what number.

From what I've noticed, those Fast Play modules tend to go pretty cheap (for now anyways).  There are a few others

Was tempted to bid on those Legend of the Lance newsletters, but you're lucky I've spent so much in the last month ;) or they would have been mine.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:19 am 

The PBM item is very interesting indeed. Should be also important for Scott (The Acaeum), since it is a Pre-1990 AD&D item with the TSR logo. Any information about it, Mike Kuo?

Next